Battlefield 4 lacks “gimmicks” which don’t add value to the game

Tuesday, 16th April 2013 18:07 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Battlefield 4 won’t contain motion control or other gimmicks, according to DICE’s Patrick Bach. “We are not interested in things that don’t make the game better,” he told Edge. “There are a lot of gimmicks – people throwing money at us – ‘can you implement support for this quirky control thing’. No, it doesn’t make the game better.” Bach said DICE is “extremely open to innovation,” but unless it adds value for the players, it’s just a “gimmick.” Bach used touch controls as an example, which until Apple perfected the tech, was considered contrived. “To us it’s the same with motion control and perceptual gaming in general; if it adds, great. If it’s a gimmick, ignore it.” Battlefield 4 is expected sometime this fall.

1. Francis O

I agree with DICE, but at the same time, Battlefield 4 looks like Battlefield 3.5. In the gameplay trailer, exactly what are they doing to provide something new? Where is the innovation? This is supposed to be a “next gen” title for the PC right? Yet there is nothing “next gen” about the same old first person ‘dude bro’ shooters that infest modern gaming.

2. Tavarish

So… DICE won’t put in gimmicks like motion controls etc., but instead sticks with gimmicks from Bf 3 like tacticool light, also known as portable sun, or placement and brightness of sun so you are are 24/7 blinded by it? Sounds cool…

Or not.

3. Hcw87

Then tell us what you think would make the game a ”true next gen” shooter.

There’s been so many FPS games lately, that there is no way in hell they’ll satisfy everyone.

Black Ops 2 tried a different setting, game still sucked. FPS games will stay the same until the end of time.

4. TheKeyPit

Battlefield 4 with Oculus Rift. The only gimmick that’s needed.

5. Erthazus

BF4 indeed looks like BF 3.5, but at least these guys will make a good game.

third game was amazing. Pushed everything.

6. ProCeela

Yes agree 100% , BF3 is still the only MP shooter i play untill a new bf is released . And the game is finaly a game like the oldschool pc era.

And it is keep getting better !

7. RocknRolla

To all saying this is Battlefield 3.5 yeah I want it that way, I don´t need a complete innovation because I love BF3 play it almost everyday, and Battlefield 4 may be super polished BF3 but hey?! I still play BF3 right? which means I am not tired of it which is good news :D I am getting BF4 on PS4.. But I will try the Beta on the PS3 not buy the game for the PS3 I am done looking for 12 players on big ass maps it is exhausting ffs :D

8. Lengendaryboss

Completely agree, i just wish more developers think about this.

9. dkpunk

I agree with this as well. Hopefully they add dual play support. Best feature i’ve seen recently in a game (blops2)

10. Ajsman

@6 ROFL, when they stop implementing game mechanics that are there only to blur the skill gap between players then you are allowed to call it “a game like the oldschool pc era” ;)

11. DSB

@2 Haha, good point.

I wish someone would dare to make a somewhat realistic game. Something along the lines of Project Reality or Red Orchestra. I think that whole style is a lot more intense. People aren’t bulletsponges, and vehicles need to be used properly.

But then half of the people playing would probably just ragequit.

12. mkotechno

Being Battlefield 3.5 I hope at least run at 60hz in new gen consoles.

13. Tavarish

@11 ArmA 3… ;)

14. NooB GobliN

Well, that direct fire order they showed in the BF4 gameplay demo looked like a dumb gimmick to me. There were no other enemies to shot at anyway so why order your team to do what they were already doing. I fear BF4 SP mode will be just as dull and uninteresting as before. They should just do Co-op and MP.

15. OwnedWhenStoned

Ah, Project Reality. Some of my best multiplayer memories are with that. Proper teamwork, and because it required a bit of thought, very few asshats.

Great times.

16. roadkill

Can’t say much about this right now. I can’t form an opinion yet. I need to see more. I would be ok with a BF 3.5 though. As long as it sells at a decent price. I will not pay 70 euros for it. I’ll either pirate it or wait until it gets cheaper. Like 50% cheaper.