Saint’s Row 4: presidential campaign

Friday, 22nd March 2013 15:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Saint’s Row 4 is one of the maddest games we’ve ever seen. VG247′s Dave Cook checks it out and speaks with Volition Inc.

Saint’s Row IV

Developed by Volition Inc. Saint’s Row 4 started like as a piece of Saint’s Row: The Third DLC called ‘Enter the Dominatrix’. It’s out on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in the US August 20 and in Europe August 23.

However, THQ’s Danny Bilson saw potential for a full game, and so, Saint’s Row 4 was born. It really is a full game, despite the negative reaction aimed at Volition’s recent reveal.

Volition announced the game alongside a mad teaser trailer. You can watch it in full here.

The studio is letting gamers vote for what they want to see in the Saint’s Row 4 special edition bundle. Cast your vote here.

I wasn’t ready for Saint’s Row 4.

Last week I woke up really early, boiled a coffee and got dressed, just like any other day. I dragged myself to the train station, bought myself more coffee and hopped the first carriage to London. I had to wait ages for a strong enough phone signal to check my work emails. It was annoying.

I knew I was going there to see Saint’s Row 4 for the first time, and I had all these images of dildo swords, jet bikes and furries punching the elderly in my mind. “Yeah”, I thought, “I know roughly what to expect here”. I bought another coffee.

It was meant to be a day like any other. Then Volition Inc. blew my tits off.

In Saint’s Row 4 you – the leader of the Saints gang – are now president of America. An invading alien force called the Zin has kidnapped you, and has plugged your brain into an indoctrinating virtual world called The Dominatrix.

Oh, you also have super-powers by the way. Why ride in a car when you can run through traffic using super-speed? Why walk around a skyscraper when you can jump over it in one leap? Why fight with your bare hands when you can use telekinesis to throw them into orbit? Why indeed.

You also have a Dubstep Gun that fires Skrillex riffs at people. It makes them dance like morons, just in real life. Any cars caught in the blast suddenly sprout hydraulics and start bouncing around to the beat. You can pilot a mech. When walking past civilians you can DDT them just for shits and giggles.

Seriously, read all of those features back and try telling me it doesn’t sound like a riot. Then compare them to my boring, everyday story at the start. Which would you rather be doing?

Clearly you’d rather be freezing people with your mind and shattering them with one punch than be a Scottish bloke with bad hair and even worse cholesterol. This is why the Saint’s Row series is so appealing. It’s a mass power trip that exists purely in the name of fun, letting you do the impossible.

Volition’s insane concept of a virtual Steelport teeming with aliens has been in the works for sometime. In fact, it first started life as a story expansion for Saint’s Row: The Third called ‘Enter the Dominatrix’. Former THQ head Jason Rubin suggested the studio take the concept and flesh it out into a full game, so that’s what it did.

I asked Jim Boon, senior Producer of Saint’s Row 4 how it planned on topping purple dildo swords in its madcap follow-up, “Usually we’ll pick a topic like ‘Let’s talk about weapons’, and then we’d start throwing out ideas. They come from all over the team because everyone at Volition gets what Saint’s Row 4 is all about.

“But sometimes ideas just don’t work out quite right, so off they go. As silly and as over the top as we are a lot of the time, ultimately our goal is for people to have fun. So there are times we come up with crazy things that aren’t fun, so we cut them.”

‘Fun’ really is the best and only word to describe Saint’s Row 4. When you see it running you’ll want to crack a big smile, especially when you realise the sheer scope of what’s possible. Boon showed me a ‘Flashpoint’ scenario where the president is fighting Zin grunts on an rooftop.

He started by pulling out a pistol and shooting a few of them from on top of the adjacent building. He then performed a super leap over the gap and rained down with a brutal ground pound, sending the little buggers flying. He then froze the pack and started hurling them around with telekinesis.

Within seconds they were reduced to icy shards. I laughed. Try to picture the scene, and then imagine it with a second person in co-op. The ability to combine superpowers, insane weapons, and vehicles that pack serious firepower is a recipe for madness. I’m sure fans wouldn’t have it any other way.

Boon continued, “One of the reasons we added superpowers is, in all of the Saint’s Row games – the two core mechanics were combat and driving. Superpowers are a great way for us to change how they feel. So if I want to drive, I still can. You can grab cars, customise and upgrade them, all of that.

“But if you want a change of a pace, and you just want to super sprint down the street, then go for it. The same with combat, because I can still take a gun and shoot people. It’s no problem. But if I want to use my ice blast instead, then I can.”

Saint’s Row 4 is out in August, and while we’ve just seen the reveal of PS4, Boon confirmed that the the game is releasing on current-gen consoles only. I have to point out that it looks absolutely superb running on PC though, and it doesn’t look like the shallow DLC release some gamers are calling it.

I asked Boon if Volition would consider a next-gen port, “It’s something I wish we could do, because obviously with next-gen consoles, the things they can do are amazing. But unfortunately with the timing we had it wouldn’t have worked out.

“In the past when we did Summoner for PS2, we did that as a launch title. It was one of the most brutally difficult projects we’ve ever done, The problem was that the game wasn’t nearly as good as it should have been, because we rushed so hard to get it out in time.

“That’s why when there’s a new console cycle coming in, we tend to back away from it in terms of taking our time, rather than trying to rush something out on it. It means we can do it, and support the format in the right way.”

This makes sense, because nobody wants to play a rushed hatchet-job of a game. Plus, Volition is still easing into its new life under publisher Deep Silver. I asked Boon how the team felt when THQ was collapsing around them.

“It was a tough time because we had a lot of friends at THQ who didn’t work on projects that got purchased. It was pretty sad from that standpoint. The thing we felt good about internally at least, was that we knew Saint’s Row 4 was so far in development and was showing so well.

“We knew that THQ investor Clearlake – who was also our one – wanted to buy us no doubt about it. So we thought, ‘No matter what we’ve got a job’, because either they’d buy us or someone else would.

“Having said that there was the question of who was going to buy us, and what that would mean. In other words, was it someone who would come in and change our culture? The good news for us with Deep Silver is they’re fully supportive of what we do, of our culture, our internal processes and most importantly our game.”

It’s lucky that Saint’s Row 4 survived, as it’s the antithesis of the po-faced, gritty gaming experience. Its tongue is almost bursting through its cheek. When you consider that the game brings back all of the features from the third game, then adds a whole new suite of toys raise hell with, you might find it hard to comprehend.

Essentially, think of something truly bat-shit crazy and Volition probably has you covered. I can’t wait to see what else it has up its purple sleeves as we roll on to August. We’ll have more further down the line.

Disclosure: To write this piece Dave attended a Deep Silver showcase day In London. All travel was paid for by VG247. While catering was offered at the event, all food and drink was bought by Dave. No other merchandise or advertising was offered or accepted. He now can’t get Skrillex out of his head and would like it very much to stop.

1. FinalStar

Oh my god, it’s really a good thing you added that last bit – god forbid that I would have believed a single word of the whole article if Dave had taken a sip of water for free!!!

Disclosure is all good and fine, but basically implying that accepting even a tiny bit of food without paying for it would completely compromise the ability of an author to be reasonably critical, that’s embarassing for everyone involved.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 All part of the policy I’m afraid :)

Cheers for reading though :D

#2 1 year ago
  3. Bam007

I just can’t get excited for this. Saints Row 2 was an ‘OMG GTFOH’ feeling and it delivered. Saints Row: The Third” was an ‘OMG, AGAIN? EASILY MY GAME OF THE YEAR” feeling… it was a huge letdown.

Similar things to this was available in the third game and its DLC. The teaser looked exactly like the third game. It is using content cut from the third gsme. How are people getting excited for what is an add-on to the third game?

EB rental for me. If they decide that an online pass is required for LOCAL co-op, then Deep Silver can go the same path as THQ.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 It’s not just using cut content from the third game. It’s using cut ‘ideas’ from the third game. Everything developed in-game is new and fleshed out. It’s not just a DLC pack with a ’4′ after it like everyone has been saying.

The PC build also looked really nice too.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Samoan Spider

I’ll be honest, I thought the free lunch was the only reason to go on these things. Surely a tasty selection of morsels wouldn’t sway your judgement of the product, just the venue and caterers ;).

On topic I have enjoyed all SR games, for different reasons I might add, but I really have enjoyed the diversion away from the GTA styled open world. They’ve gradually become their own insane thing and I hope for more.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dave Cook

@5 I bought a chipotle wrap from boots that day. it wasn’t spicy enough. Then again, nothing is these days.

Judging by above you will really like SR4. It’s just madness.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Bam007

You’re just saying that! :p

I am really annoyed about it. Huge, HUGE Saints Row fan. Play both games religiously and have been for a number of years. Third? The moment I unlocked the final achievement, I removed the game, deleted the install and removed all traces of the game and its season pass from my console.

A lot of ‘us’ wanted a simple update to replay missions. THQ decided to throw over 40 clothing add-on packs and actually try to make money from it. Not like some people (including myself) helped leak over 6 months worth of DLC for the game before it was even released, but when you are a dedicated fan, it is a real kick in the you know where.

Despite the teaser footage, I hope the gameplay has changed in some way. I also hope they have done something about adding more modes.

PS. I envy you so bad right now and it’s not even weird for me say it with nothing but briefs on.

#7 1 year ago
  8. DSB

So is Johnny Gat in the game?

#8 1 year ago
  9. pukem0n

as long as there are purple dildos, i’m in.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dave Cook

@7 Hah, you’ve terrified me a little there mate :P

I haven’t had hands-on but the super-powers make it look very different to handle. We saw the guy leaping over skyscrapers in one jump, super-running across several city blocks in seconds, while running through about 60 cars, pushing them aside like toys.

The ice blast move is fun too, it freezes everyone nearby. The guy then started using mind blast to pick them up and throw them around like Half-Life 2′s gravity gun.

It just looked nuts :D

#10 1 year ago
  11. Bam007

And just read that Enter the Dominatrix will be DLC for this game under a ‘Director’s Cut’ heading. What a joke!

Over and out.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Lengendaryboss

Am i the only one that wants this series to go back to its roots? There is nothing wrong with a little craziness as long as its grounded in reality like SR 1+2. I do not care if its being called a GTA clone. If you stray from your roots you lose fans IE. Red Faction (But not to that effect).
    @8 I don’t want to spoil it for you, so i suggest you look it up on Youtube.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Dave Cook

@11 but surely then that confirms that Saint’s Row 4 isn’t just the DLC pack if Enter the Dominatrix is coming separately afterwards?

I’m really puzzled as to the negativity and confusion around this.

#13 1 year ago
  14. TheBlackHole

“For example, the Dubstep Gun was literally on this email chain going around the office asking for weapon ideas. Someone had just written ‘Dubstep Gun’. We didn’t even know what the hell it was, but it sounded amazing. We knew there was something there so we just came up for more ideas around it.”

No you didn’t, you watched this video and ripped it straight from Corridor Digital. http://youtu.be/hDlif8Km4S4

I don’t suppose those guys will get any credit.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Petulant Radish

@6 This is true, nothing is ever hot enough, but I cope by carrying around a large sized bottle of chipotle tabasco in my bag wherever I go. A very gentle but persistent heat with delightfully smokey tones, it’s like liquid crack.

#15 1 year ago
  16. DSB

@12 If you really care about the story of Saints Row, you’re doing it wrong. You would’ve just said no if he wasn’t, so I take from that what I may :P

#16 1 year ago
  17. Bam007

@13 – touché. But, why are you working on DLC now? THQ went under, when? January I believe? It also gives me the impression that the main game isn’t as much a priority as add-ons.

I apologise if I’ve ‘derailed’ any chance of a decent discussion amongst members here, but I am really annoyed at the news. I was annoyed at the teaser from earlier in the week. News of DLC in the works definitely does not help.

#17 1 year ago
  18. kiriyamamnemic

i think people are angry because the enter the dominatrix expansion seems to be the story now, the evil alien warlord and superpowers were dominatrix story, so what on earth is the DLC gonna be if this is now the full game? unless the teaser is infact the dlc thats coming?

#18 1 year ago
  19. Dave Cook

@15 ah a man after my own heart. Tabasco Chipotle is awesome. Ever tried Dave’s Insanity Sauce? it’s the bomb.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Dave Cook

@17 No, not a problem at all man. Hey, we’re all free to express ourselves here, even if it gets heated :)

#20 1 year ago
  21. Petulant Radish

@19, I sure have Dave and it is indeed the bomb, thought unfortunately that’s exactly what lashings of it does to my derriere, much like the classic Encona Hot Pepper Sauce.

@14 surely that’s just light gun things being fired to a dubstep soundtrack? Those people aren’t dancing after getting fired upon…

#21 1 year ago
  22. Dave Cook

@21 Hah, I know the pain all too well. I just finished off a can of Da Bomb ghost pepper nuts last week. Painful stuff.

#22 1 year ago
  23. kiriyamamnemic

really tho, if the hero enters the dominatrix in the main game of iv, then whats the dominatrix dlc gonna be about?

#23 1 year ago
  24. Petulant Radish

@22 then you have my deepest sympathy…

#24 1 year ago
  25. TheBlackHole

Because the title, Dubstep Guns, is nothing like Dubstep Gun. Nothing at all.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Lengendaryboss

@16 I care for a story when i am putting money down, SR 1+2 had no problem delivering this aspect, there were even times the story hooked me and then in SR3 i bought it for christmas the year it launched it got returned shortly after completion (I never felt the urge to play it again) , i rarely do that with games. The only point that hooked me was Johnny Gat and from that point on i felt nothing for the story. I know SR3 was all about the craziness but there is a point when it just gets boring, i am Glad GTA V is coming september i need a story that hooks me into it.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Samoan Spider

@26 But like a Schwarzenegger film, sometimes brainless entertainment without the need for a weaving narrative is just what’s needed as an antidote to a bad day at work.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Dave Cook

@25 How do you know the developer stole the idea? Maybe the guy who wrote ‘Dub Step Gun’ on the email list saw the video and got inspired by it? Then he personally stole it.

Blame that one guy, not Volition ;)

#28 1 year ago
  29. kiriyamamnemic

did you get any info on wether or not we can layer our clothes or add new logos or anything like that? does the hair still look like play dough?

#29 1 year ago
  30. DSB

@26 Fair enough, I just don’t agree.

For me the story was the worst thing about Saints Row 2. It had no real bearing on the gameplay, it was just a series of cheap emotional tropes disturbing an otherwise fun game.

SR3 felt kinda rushed and superficial, there were no real ties to the characters, but I think boring is the last adjective I’d put on it. It was a bit like a stand-up comedian who loves his own punchlines so much he forgets to build them up.

Hopefully they’ll have time to flesh it out more in the future. Deep Silver probably want to unload their work as fast as possible and start on their own.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Lengendaryboss

@27 I understand that not everyone wants to get involved in a story after a bad/crap day at work, but is it not possible to deliver craziness in side missions or just cause craziness in the open world people have to play in.
    @30 I guess its an indifference of opinion, maybe boring was the wrong word to use but i am just saying that there was no feeling inside me to replay it and with most games i purchase that is hardly the case.

#31 1 year ago
  32. SplatteredHouse

Do I want Crackdown in my Saints Row…not without a very convincing sell, at least. A two-bit “teaser” indistinguishable from SR3 won’t get it done. “there were no real ties to the characters” That’s a part I don’t like. I felt the narrative including Shaundi in SR2 really helped gel and to some extent, ground the chaos.

#32 1 year ago
  33. NeoSquall

Dubstep Gun is the new Dildo sword.

’nuff said.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Petulant Radish

@25 the guns do very different things though, so my point is the idea is not ripped straight out of that clip though the name could well be. No need to be snippy!

#34 1 year ago
  35. SplatteredHouse

Maybe a legitimate trailer will help this game out, in my estimations.

#35 1 year ago
  36. NeoSquall

Yeah, Volition needs to put up a better trailer than the “debut” one, that one pretty much sucked.

#36 1 year ago
  37. kiriyamamnemic

it’s good seeing people bitching and not actually asking someone who has seen the game first hand what kind of features it has we havent seen yet?

#37 1 year ago
  38. Dave Cook

@37 *puts hand up* Yo!

This is what I’m here for after all…

#38 1 year ago
  39. kiriyamamnemic

i know you have haha thats why i was asking lol.is the phone back? and how does takeover work if its just one gang? (aliens) and that info info info lol. are you sworn to secrecy about some things?

#39 1 year ago
  40. Dave Cook

@39 well I should point out that the gameplay we saw was very short and light on details at a deep level.

So no idea about the phone. I do know that characters are fully customisable again, as are your weapons. We saw a guy turn an assault rifle into a guitar case like in Desperado. You can also change the pitch of your voice to a ludicrous degree.

I’m not sure if takeovers are still in there, but there are alien flashpoint missions where you have to clear out Zin from certain areas. Hope this helps slightly :)

#40 1 year ago
  41. kiriyamamnemic

yeah thats a big help :).
    always nice getting details that werent out there before thanks man!
    im hoping for cockney rough dude again, shame they don’t have charles shaugnessey back from sr2 tho :(

#41 1 year ago
  42. DSB

@32 Man, I’d love a bit of Crackdown in my Crackdown so I can play some fucking Crackdown.

I don’t get why that series was dropped on the floor the way it was, it could’ve been amazing.

#42 1 year ago
  43. TheWulf

A couple of things people tend to forget.

I was baffled when everyone complained about L4D2 simply because it was a similar kind of game. Everyone, at the time, most likely including you was saying that it should have been an expansion pack and not a full blown sequel. After the release of it, the tune changed, and everyone was quite pleased that Valve had opted to do a sequel.

Saints Row 2 was actually set in the same setting as Saints Row 1. This lead to a lot of complaints since people felt that it should have been (again) an expansion pack. Except there was so much new content bolted onto Saints Row 2 (since the city was already done) that it turned out to be a far, far better game than 1. Everyone was then happen with SR2 and consider it the best of the series. SRIV could be to SRIII what SRII was to SRI. Essentially – a better game.

Not only that, but Volition has recently lost their primary publisher – THQ. As such, they really need to get a game out there to start bringing in some funds. Depending on how much you care about Volition, you might want to get SRIV anyway just to help them out financially.

So, yeah, just a few things that I felt should be added to the current line of thinking.

#43 1 year ago
  44. SplatteredHouse

@37 I was hoping to find out more about the game from the article, tbh. But I accept that Dave didn’t get to see a great deal of gameplay (what it sounds like he did see was largely an extrapolation of the trailer cutaways, going by what’s here.)

@30 “It was a bit like a stand-up comedian who loves his own punchlines so much he forgets to build them up.” Good description! Nothing at all against Dave, I’m not comparing him to that, but it is instead, an accurate description of why this “preview” isn’t that helpful to me. There’s too much missing to build an impression of what the new game is, beyond vagueries. I feel as if the SR4 part is a series of punchlines…Which just doesn’t inform me of a lot, and leaves me with mostly non-reaction.

#44 1 year ago
  45. SplatteredHouse

@42 Crackdown was indeed brilliant! :D One of the early 360 highlights. I especially liked the style and visual appearance of the player forces. I too feel it had great potential, and it really is a shame they haven’t been able to build out a full franchise on the back of such a premise.

#45 1 year ago
  46. DSB

@44 That wasn’t aimed at Dave at all though, I think it’s a decent preview.

I was purely talking about the way SR3 delivered its narrative. It was like a series of punchlines with no joke to really send them off.

#46 1 year ago
  47. SplatteredHouse

@46 I get that. But I just didn’t want any misunderstanding when I brought up what you said, using it in a different context, later in the thread. :)

#47 1 year ago
  48. kiriyamamnemic

saints row 2 improved sr1. sr4 is making the gangs aliens, biiig difference,
    you can take a concept and run with it (sr2)
    or you can change the concept entirely (sr4)

thats the biggest beef. that being said steelport isnt a great city like stillwater was, steelport all looked the same, i have logged over 100 hours and i still can’t tell what island im on. not enough diversity in the game location wise, sr 2 had nuclear test labs, prison island, factories , suburbs , urban metropolis. sr 3 lacked

#48 1 year ago
  49. SlayerGT

@Dave Are you only fighting Zin and what do they look like? Also what behaviors do they have? They shoot guns at you? Jump around like you do exaggerated?

#49 1 year ago
  50. Lewis247

This game makes no sense to me at all. Saints Row 1 and 2 are two of the best games this generation, I gave up on 3 after a week. What the hell are they doing!?

#50 1 year ago
  51. SlayerGT

@50 Same thing they did to Red Faction I fear.

#51 1 year ago
  52. dss5

I really wish it was April Fools Day so that this could be a joke.

Even if the gameplay is perfect there’s no way I’m buying with a shit plot like that.

#52 1 year ago
  53. NeoSquall

A serious question Dave: do you know if do you just stay connected to the Dominatrix or do you manage to disconnect yourself and kick the Zin in their “zings”?
    Also, I’m pretty sure it was Jason Rubin that hinted Volition to integrate the DLC in the full-fledged sequel.

#53 1 year ago
  54. SplatteredHouse

http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/15/saints-row-4-debut-trailer-and-release-date/#comment-458562 @53: A Deep Silver spokesperson, is the most recent source for that:

“That expansion was canceled and elements of it were rolled into Saints Row 4,” they said.
    It didn’t make the greatest amount of sense at first glance, because on the one hand [DLC cancelled], the other [bits of DLC integrated into SR4, followed by a Director's Cut version of that cancelled DLC (It's my assumption that they're using the original story, meaning that SR4 inherited the Enter the Dominatrix mechanics?) will be released for Saint's Row 4.]
    I think that’s how it is, but perhaps Dave knows some more about what the deal there is, following his visit to Deep Silver Volition?

#54 1 year ago
  55. salarta

Amazing to see people bitch about story only when it doesn’t fit their personal tastes. If it fits their personal tastes, then to hell with what was previously established, their selfish desires come first. But if it doesn’t fit their personal desires, then it’s an utter travesty. A franchise can be reimagined so much that it may as well be a brand new IP, the only REAL criteria anyone actually uses to judge games is “Does it fit my selfish wants?”

Personally, I am intrigued but also concerned by this direction, which seems like a big departure from past mechanics and sounds more like it would be better as a sidegame than a direct sequel. But I’m still going to buy it, since I enjoyed SR3. If there’s enough bitching, I may even buy the special edition just to make up for the entitled people.

I’m curious as to whether or not Monica Hughes will make a return, and if so how things would pan out with her in the game. I can very easily see her becoming a Saint due to the leader becoming President, and possibly Monica being a boss fight at some point. Possibly some BDSM or other kinky approach to play with how politicians are normally never presented in that way.

#55 1 year ago
  56. SplatteredHouse

A set of illuminating quotes originating from earlier today at PAX East, via Joystiq:

“Everything that was the missions or the story we did for Dominatrix was totally thrown out,” Steve Jaros, creative director at Volition told us. “All the voice recording that we did all thrown out. We redid the entire story. The game is mission wise the same length as Saints Row 3, plus other open worlds on top of it.”

“Even the best of the [Dominatrix] stuff that we liked and pulled into the game we still changed. Nothing was drag and dropped in.”
    More, here: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/22/volition-explains-relationship-between-saints-row-4-and-enter-t/

#56 1 year ago
  57. NeoSquall

@54 Actually this was the article I was referring to.

“(CUT)

Instead, the content will be rolled in to a new full-length, full price Saints Row game. THQ’s new president, Jason Rubin, said:

(CUT)”

Enter the Dominatrix being rolled in a new title was prolly part of Rubin’s strategy to save THQ, same like pushing back Company of Heroes 2 and Metro: Last Light.

#57 1 year ago
  58. Dave Cook

@53 I believe you’re always plugged in mate. But we saw so little that I may be wrong. Also the Zin we saw acted like humans but there is a bigger, armoured species that charges at you and puts up more of a fight.

#58 1 year ago
  59. Kuwabara

That first screenshot up there is like my vision and hopes of next gen games to be like at one point. I want to look up in the sky and see many ufos/ships descending from the skies and get goose bumps from the awe/scale of it.

#59 1 year ago
  60. YoungZer0

I find it fucking hilarious that people care about the story of Saints Row so much. Come on, people. Get serious. The direction Saints Row 3 took is the best that could’ve happen to the franchise. It completely embraced its charm and stopped trying to be another GTA.

The story of SR2 was terrible, I barely remember any of the characters, it was full of ‘serious’ cutscenes, that didn’t really reflect on the over-the-top gameplay and insane sidemissions.

Gameplay = Fun
    Story = Not Fun

SR3 fixed that. SR4 seems to take it a step further. Good. I just hope that 80% of the customization options isn’t limited to DLC.

#60 1 year ago
  61. Lengendaryboss

@60 its personal opinion/preference.

#61 1 year ago
  62. YoungZer0

Duh.

#62 1 year ago
  63. Shuklar

What sort of inbred asshole buys SR for story? That’s just as retarded as buying The Walking Dead for gunplay

#63 1 year ago
  64. Lengendaryboss

@63 I am no longer bothered to waste my time on the subject.

#64 1 year ago
  65. no_end

I liked Saints Row The Third’s story. Hulk Hogan is a horrible voice actor, and the ending was boring, but the Russian female voice over really carried the game for me. I probably wouldn’t have finished it otherwise.

#65 1 year ago
  66. no_end

Also, glad to see a writer who understands that free swag influences reviews. Just buy your own shit. I fucking hate all these Oliver Twist game journalists complaining they can’t make a living so they deserve a replica purple dildo bat and a complimentary lunch. Stand on your own two feet you moochers.

#66 1 year ago
  67. JoeyDynamite

Saints Row: The Third was as far as I was willing to go for craziness. But this just takes the piss.
    They should have left it as a DLC instead of making this garbage storyline into a full game. This is what happens when a bunch of developers become self-indulgent.
    Why bother paying another £40 for a game with the same city just with super-powers?
    Yes Stilwater has appeared twice but at least it was tweaked.
    Judging from the screenshots it doesn’t look any different.
    I’m so disappointed by this news.

#67 1 year ago