Witcher 3 is 50 hours long: new previews offer fresh details

Thursday, 28th February 2013 14:28 GMT By Dave Cook

The Witcher 3 has been given the preview treatment in Germany, offering up a new batch of interesting details on CD Projekt RED’s open world RPG.

Previews appeared in German magazines PC Games and Gamestar, Google translated here for your pleasure by OXM.

Top of the pile is that an average play-through will take you 50 hours, ending up on one of 36 world states, leading to one of three hour-long epilogue chapters at the end.

Save games will dictate which character return from previous Witcher titles, but Geralt’s backstory willstay the same regardless of what you did before. It’s not yet clear what the true canon ending of Witcher 2 is.

Geralt’s Axii spell returns but this time it tames horses in the wild, or if you can’t be arsed you can just buy one. There’s also new fire spell called Ignii that lets Geralt burn things in the environment using a constant stream of flame.

You can also hunt animals for fur and other resources by tracking their colour-coded markings in the wild. The day-night and weather cycles dictate when areas can be accessed and what beasts appear in the wild.

Away from the wild plains, towns are said to be denser, and citizens will rat you out to city guards if they see you stealing or generally being a dick. You can waste time in cities by playing card and axe-throwing minigames.

Geralt can now level up to 60 by earning experience through finishing quests. Hunting doesn’t dish out XP as it only gives you resources and money. Speaking of which the world’s economy is dynamic and is affected by what you sell, and how much.

Geralt can even jump now – praise gravity! He also has a new combat mechanic that lets him target body parts, which is a bit like VATS in Fallout 3. QTEs have also been scrapped.

Known areas are the world’s capital Novigrad, the Skellige Islands, and the wasteland wilds. You can travel the islands via boat.

Phew. So, what do you think. Excited?

Remember The Witcher 3 is coming to PS4 as well. Check out our coverage here.

1. YoungZer0

Axii isn’t new. You usually used it to confuse enemies in the first two games.

The rest sounds unbelievably amazing, but if there is one developer that can pull it off, it’s CDPR.

2. CPC_RedDawn

Whilst I never completed The Witcher 2, I have so much respect for the game and its developers.

I will still purchase this game and I will play it as much as possible the developers deserve the recognition.

3. ps4fanboy

I was excited when CDPR said that witcher 2 will be coming to consoles. I was disappointed when it was released only on 360 and not on PS3 BUT i’ll be looking forward to witcher 3 on PS4!. I still wish they somehow release witcher 2 for PS3

4. Max Payne

This all sounds amazing but I am getting seek of ” hunting ” in every game.
    Al thought, In the Witcher make sense to implement.

5. Tavarish

If they can pull all that off and more with that fidelity / IQ I will kneel before new Open World RPG Kings. Companies like Bethesda really need to improve theirs game if CDPR pulls Witcher 3 promises off. Game like Skyrim wouldn’t have anything on Withcer 3.

6. Sanwiches

@4 sick* ?

If you meant sick, then that’s just your opinion man. You don’t need to practice those activites if you don’t wish to

7. karma

Everything talked about above sounds fantastic to me.
    Stealth is the main thing I hope they work on more this time. In W2 they had those stealth sections, but they were pretty weak compared to the rest of the game. An open world game like this needs stealth anywhere as a constant option player choice. Would also like to be able to use bows and crossbows.

8. Jerykk

Igni isn’t a new spell. It’s been one of the spells in the last two games. Though, it wasn’t a stream of flame.

9. Mike W

Damn….I still didn’t beat Witcher 2 :(

10. sh4dow

Funny… it’s all over the place yet not mentioned anywhere in the translations: the WHOLE game is supposed to be 100 hours long!
    As in: 50 hours for main story, 50 hours for side quests.

11. sh4dow

Plus (my “source” – German is my mother tongue):
    -) The level of monsters doesn’t scale to Geralt’s
    -) You can’t hurt innocent people because it wouldn’t be in accordance with Geralt’s moral
    -) Enemies yell tactics at each other during combat and might surrender if Geralt is just too powerful

12. Eddie Rodrigues

Once again Witcher doesn’t surprise me. Looks pretty generic.

13. DSB

I’m a little worried about the length itself. I finished the original Witcher in less than that, and that game sucked.

I don’t want a bunch of kill 10 rats quests :(

14. Hussar

DSB: Why don’t you try TW2? It’s superior compared to TW1. Stop whining and play :D

15. DSB

@14 No whining, just incredibly disappointed in The Witcher 1. It feels like you’re playing WoW with no one else around to make it interesting. It has no combat system, and the story is basically Star Wars Episodes 1-3 in a fantasy setting.

I have played The Witcher 2, and it is really one of the best games I have ever played :)

16. Edo

@13 What worries me more is this hunting animals for profit part that seems to be following the latest trend set by Far Cry 3/AC III…my god those sections became so tedious I wanted to quit both games and never look back.

17. DSB

@16 Yeah, I had a bit of a weird streak in Skyrim where all I did was hunt and blacksmith. I actually really enjoyed that.

But yeah, Far Cry 3 was just a pain. It was every bit as satisfying as hunting in WoW. Which is to say: not.

18. Edo

@17 I didn’t do any hunting in Skyrim…as a matter of fact I only killed 1 rabbit and regret doing so :(……because there was no profit in it :P .

19. DSB

Leather > Leather Bracers > Blacksmithing skillpoints.

And then the female deer had something that was great for making poisons or potions I think.

I just always play a thief and I like the sneaking, so hunting was pretty fun. You had to be reasonably accurate with a bow, and the deer were actually pretty capable of running away.

It was right after they introduced killcams for bows, so that made it extra fun.

20. noamlol2

WTF buy spells?
    those “spells” (signs to be precise) were aviable from the begining

and always will be
    the new mechanic sounds godawful, body part targeting? hunting? people rating you out? WTF are they thinking!

the witcher 2 was perfect, no need to change it
    just iron out all the bugs

and fuck yes to the new jump mechanic

21. Hybridpsycho

The Witcher 2 wasn’t perfect, it was one of the best games I’ve played but it wasn’t really true to what The Witcher is really about.
    Also, just making an exact copy of it that continues the story wouldn’t cut it. They realize they can’t just keep producing the way Call of Duty can (maybe they could but it would shame them as developers).

The changes they’ve talked about so far are great (not sure about hunting).

I’m really looking forward to the third game as a finisher to the series, glad they are not gonna milk the witcher series.