Metal Gear Rising: final code has ‘easy assist mode’, semi-auto parry option

Friday, 1st February 2013 08:42 GMT By Dave Cook

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance developer Platinum Games has confirmed that the full release of its brutal hack-n-slash romp will feature an ‘easy assist mode’ that was added at the last minute. It’s not available in any of the demos released by Konami so far, so it should provide some small solace to those who found parrying to be a total bastard. As it happens, the mode will semi-parry for you.

As part of a big Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance feature in this week’s edition of Famitsu, Platinum Games producer, Atsushi Inaba and director Kenji Saitou, along with Kojima Production’s producer Yuuji Korekado offered some last-minute insight into the game, which launches across Europe on February 22nd.

To access the easy-assist feature, you simply have to play on the game’s easy mode, Platinum confirmed. The team explained that the mechanic was designed to help players get through the game’s difficult encounters without breaking their enjoyment. There was a concern, however, that it might detract from the game’s challenging nature.

Once Tamari played around with it, he found it to be useful, rather than a detracting feature, “For us who helped develop the game, we were worried at first if having the Easy Assist would make for an enjoyable game. But when I actually played the game, I was surprised that even though it was easier, I could still experience the fun of the game properly.ā€

What about those of you who have played the game’s demo? Has the encounter with the wolf mech kicked your ass several times? Will you be using easy assist mode on your first playthrough? Let us know below.

Thanks Kotaku.

1. Ercarret

I never learned how to parry in the demo. Didn’t have too many problems, though; perhaps because I jumped around like a bunny high on speed instead. :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. orakaa

Same here: didn’t manage to parry in the demo.
    I heard that the game gets MUCH harder later in the game, and that the parry function becomes very useful, if not mandatory.

It’s good to have a semi-automatic parry function. Just hope that there will also be a clearer sort of tutorial, to show you how to use it “normally”

#2 1 year ago
  3. KAP

The game combat is actually really deep, I played the demo numorous times and found new moves everytime I played.
    I found that you can dodge by pressing D-pad square & X
    Lunge: forward, forward Triangle
    Sweep: back, forward triangle
    and same directional key with square button for other moves.
    Theres loads more too.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Greek God

parry is easy lol after 10 minutes i nailed it

#4 1 year ago
  5. viralshag

Woah, man, seriously? 10 minutes? Pro…

#5 1 year ago
  6. Bomba Luigi

Thats the Kind of Game that shows me that I’m getting old. My Reflexes are not what they used to be once and I guess I would be totaly Lost in this Game whitout this Old-Dude-Assist-Mode.

But can’t be helped, I still enjoy Games like this. Not for the Challenge of course, just for Fun.

#6 1 year ago
  7. orakaa

“Old-Dude-Assist-Mode” HAHA… Thank you, as an old dude as well, I feel less alone.

But same here : I deeply enjoyed the demo, not for the challenge, but because it was really fun (and I love the blade cutting mechanic). It’s the same kind of reason that makes me love God of War… but can’t see me like Bayonetta. I’m not saying Bayonetta is not a good game, but just that it doesn’t appeal to me, it’s not “fun”, to ME.

Anyway, preordered MGRR’s collector edition, with the white Raiden statue. Can’t wait to get it.

#7 1 year ago
  8. NeoSquall

I didn’t find difficult to learn to parry in the demo, I would practically anticipate it because I kept attacking the closest enemy and switching to anyone who dared to prep an attack on me :D

#8 1 year ago
  9. Butcher8

The demo did a piss poor job of explaining the parry system, it showed the left analogue stick and the x button, wow that’s really helpful… do I click the analogue down or move it in a direction or possibly hold it in a direction, do I press or hold the x button etc.

Yeah after several deaths I worked out how to parry but all it would do is knock the poorly scripted robopoodle back far enough away that I couldn’t follow it up with anything.

I finally defeated it when:-

1. I realised there were really hard to see health packs dropping (using them was also hidden and cumbersome).

2. I ended up screwing the parry and just mashed the button (which seemed to give me far more opportunities to use the slow mo slicing thingy) and defeated him first time.

The game has potential but it seriously needs to do more than add an auto parry (I have never played a game on easy and won’t start now, I defeated Dark Souls with no help), it needs a tutorial that actually teaches you how to play the game and not just teach one move, as well as alot of other work in making the game more accessible, albeit not easier.

It’s not that the game is too hard, it’s that it’s unfair, enemies constantly hitting me off screen, really janky movement when sprinting and using the slow mo slicing) and throwing you in the deep end (of which I guarantee is not the first level) with a tough level with little to no explanation of it’s systems.

The game may end up being great (I hope it is) but a good demo it is not, that’s exactly how not to do a demo tbh, all it would appeal to is hardcore Bayonetta fans and I for one couldn’t stand that game,and I’m sure their goal is to reach more gamers than that considering how that game flopped.

Rant over.

#9 1 year ago
  10. theevilaires

They need an all out block button. I couldn’t pass the demo on normal had to play it on easy and still died once. That parry move is pure bullshit. Hope its not trophy related…parry 100x bull crap.

#10 1 year ago