Metal Gear Rising’s bosses scrapped during Platinum handover, were ‘some of the series best’

Wednesday, 28th November 2012 13:38 GMT By Dave Cook

Metal Gear Solid: Rising had many playable bosses – some of which were apparently the best in the series – a script and levels that will never see the light of day. They were scrapped after current developer Platinum Games were chosen to take over and transform the game into Metal Gear Rising: Revengance. Kojima Productions has shed light on the lost content in a new interview.

Speaking with OPM, Kojima Productions producer Yuji Korekado explained the game’s state at the time of the handover.

“The script was finished and the boss concepts were finished. The design was finished with those levels, and the levels were at the point where we could play it through in a white box – but we couldn’t come up with a core concept to tie it all together. In the end, we couldn’t finish the game.

“Just to brag a little bit about our designs,” he added. “We believe that the bosses we created for Metal Gear Solid: Rising were probably some of the best in the series, but Saito came in and said, ‘We’re not going to use these bosses.’ So you’ll not be seeing them this time around.”

Korekado offered insight into why the bosses were canned, suggesting that they wouldn’t have fit Platinum’s focus on pure action, “The bosses in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance are very unique characters, and are game design-driven.

“As an action game, we believe that the bosses should resemble the dynamics of the design, and although they’re very unique, we believe that these characters very much fit into the Metal Gear world. And we hope you guys feel the same when you see them.”

Comparing the nature of the old bosses to Platinum’s new creations, Platinum Games director Keiji Saito added, “as Korekado says, the boss battles and the bosses in general were completely different at the time. There were a lot of stealth concepts that were [being done] internally at Kojima Studios. Now that it’s an action game we had to revamp that, and Platinum Games provided a lot of input and a lot of ideas.”

Hmm, care to theorise about what the old boss battles were like? Let us know what you think below.

1. bitsnark

I had a mini-heart attack then.

I thought MGR:R wasn’t going to have any bosses, rather than just the original boss designs not making it across to the new developer.

Turns out, I just couldn’t read or comprehend the article title due to a lack of caffeine in my bloodstream.

As you were gentlemen, as you were.

2. Mike W

Me too bro, I was about to cancel my pre order.

3. YoungZer0

Some Artwork would’ve been nice. Don’t know if i can believe them otherwise. MGS4 had just terrible, terrible bosses. I’m not talking about the fights but the design and idea behind those characters were just stupid.

That said, the new Bosses look … uninteresting to say the least. They all seem to have that Platinum-Games-evil-guy-smirk, that you see in so many japanese videogames. You know, the eye-brows up, like he was kind of sorry, but with a very self-loving smirk.

That one:

Viktor in Vanquish also had that stupid smirk on his face all the time. You couldn’t make it more obvious who’s the bad guy.

4. jldoom

lmfao @3 I see what you mean. Those screenshots say it all.

I thought the idea/concept of MGS3 were pretty cool, that being said I played and beat MGS4 and I don’t remember any of the boss fights except the last one…goes to show how much they were lacking in there.

And I haven’t been keeping up on news for this game but wasn’t it supposed to be able to be played with a stealth focus if you wanted to? This article according to the statement made by platinum implies that it’s a straight forward action game?

5. Clupula

@4 – It’s Devil May Cry in the Metal Gear world, with CODEC conversations. Personally, I absolutely loved the demo. The boss in the demo, which was an Peace Walker-style AI-controlled boss, except it was a robotic dog with a chainsaw tail, was very challenging and very funny. You really have to learn to master parrying in the game since there doesn’t seem to be a dodge or block of any sort.

I cannot wait for it, to be quite honest. It’s like combining two of my absolute favorite things.

6. YoungZer0

@4: The demo allowed you to kill your enemies in a stealthy way. It just not the focus of the game.

7. Clupula

*fun, not funny

8. setohayato

@5 I agree I very much enjoyed the combat in the demo. I really liked the idea of you being able to parry everyone of the boss’ moves too. How did you feel about the free cut mechanic?

9. jldoom

@6 Alright that’s good to hear, although I’d probably play the game mixing both, I would rather have the options available.

@5 Doesn’t sound too bad, I’ll most likely end up picking up the game after price drops if anything though but not a day one purchase for me.