Grand Theft Auto 5 is Game Informer’s December cover reveal and details have begun. Check out the cover below and all of the details from the magazine’s whopping 18-page gameplay feature on Rockstar’s latest.
First, here’s the cover.
Keep checking back for updates. We’re writing and updating as we go.
Well there it is. Rumours have long-persisted about GTA 5 featuring three main, playable characters, and as it happens Game Informer’s cover features three protagonists. None of them are the famed ‘Albert De Silva’ that has been rumoured as the game’s protagonist, according to the magazine’s managing editor Matt Bertz:
Game Informer said along with the cover reveal, “We introduce the three main protagonists, discuss the groundbreaking way you use them, and explore the reimagined Los Santos – the biggest open world Rockstar has created to date.”
A second piece of character art can be found at the Game Informer reveal hub, showing the character on the right brandishing a kitted out assault rifle. Check it out here.
The full Game Informer is expected later today when issues land on the site’s digital newsstand at around 5.00pm EST/8.00pm GMT, but some of the information has already been leaked out of it.
According to Kotaku, here’s just some of what’s covered in the December GI issue:
- Los Santos is bigger than Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas, and Grand Theft Auto IV combined. It contains a wilderness, military base, and underwater exploration on the ocean floor.
- Players can switch between the three main protagonists “nearly any time.”
- The protagonists names are: Michael (older guy), Trevor (a red neck, apparently), and Franklin (the African-American). Each has its own personality, skill set, and group of friends.
- Characters you are not currently controlling will “g off and do their own thing.”
- It’s the same world as Grand Theft Auto 4 and Liberty City, so recurring characters could occur, unless hey are form the PS2-era titles.
- Randomized dynamic missions are back, and include “hitchhikers, muggers, and dead bodies.”
- Players can form friendships, but there won’t be an romancing this time out.
Meanwhile, NeoGAF has posted the following, extra information:
- Vehicles in the game include trucks, BMX and mountain bikes, ATVs, helicopters, cars, WaveRunners, dirtbikes.
- Heists will be predominant.
- Players can customize their look, but not through RPG elements such as with San Andreas.
- Missions will be more fleshed out, and side missions will be more complex – think Red Dead Redemption.
- Better driving controls were promised, as were improved shooting mechanics.
- Melee combat has been refined.
- Players can base jump, play tennis, a full round of golf, and participate in yoga, triathlons and jet skiing for recreational purposes.
Almost makes this feel like it dropped only yesterday, doesn’t it?
Check out more of our most recent GTA 5 coverage: