Hotline Miami: ‘broke’ dev helping pirates download patched version of game

Monday, 29th October 2012 09:17 GMT By Dave Cook

Hotline Miami developer Jonatan Söderström is out of cash, but is assisting Pirate Bay users in downloading his gritty 1980s title for free. He’s offering them the most recent patched version instead of the initial build. Check out the details below.

Euorgamer reports that Söderström took to Pirate Bay to step in after several users complained they couldn’t get their illegal copies to run. Rather than shut them down, he offered assistance.

He also posted a small statement on the matter to the community that read, “We’re working on an update that hopefully will take care of any/all bugs, and we’ll try to do some extra polish in the next few days. Would be great if you could update the torrent when the patch is out! It’d be great if people get to play it without any bugs popping up. Hope everyone will enjoy the game!”

He then took to Twitter to state his stance on the matter, revealing that he is currently broke, “I don’t really want people to pirate Hotline Miami, but I understand if they do. I’ve been broke the last couple of months. It sucks. And I definitely want people to experience the game the way it’s meant to be experienced. No matter how they got a hold of it.”

What do you make of Söderström’s actions? Should he have the game pulled, or is piracy something that cannot be fought by one man alone? Let us know below.

Thanks GI.biz.

1. YoungZer0

Don’t know if that is a publicity stunt, or the guy just really likes to have people play his game. Either way, he seems like a good dude and the game, as far as i could play, is worth its money.

It’s one of the few games that gets Trial and Error right. Dying isn’t really a punishment, it’s more of a way to improve. One could argue that every game has that, but they usually don’t do it well, you have frustrating elements and long loading times. Hotline Miami doesn’t have that. No, actually whenever i died, i get really excited for the next run.

And the music is amazing.

2. DrDamn

The twitter comment is interesting “I’ve been broke the last couple of months.” – is this meant to mean he is acknowledging that he understands why people pirate games as he’s done it himself when broke? Or just trying to get people to buy it properly?

Interesting approach though – and a brave one too.

3. roadkill

Dave he said he was broke for the last couple of months. Not now. :)

Also, I like the guy. :)

4. Dave Cook

@4 I took it that he still hasn’t been paid for the game yet. If Steam is anything like iTunes, then he won’t have been paid yet :)

5. Old MacDonald

4: Not only that, but he’s got a publisher so the money has to go through them first.

6. deathm00n

I respect him, I know how hard it is to really want to play a game, but don’t have the money to do it. There was a time when pirated games was my only choice. And since my PC can’t run most games I still pirate them so I can see if my PC can run them. After I see it can I buy then. SO not all pirates are bad you see

7. DSB

@1 To say that the guy is a massive excentric would be the understatement of the year.

Lots of free games of his there.

8. YoungZer0

That certainly is very special. But to be honest it’s one of the better things about the game, the style is definitely unique.

It’s kind of funny to see the 90′s coming back. Makes you realize just how old you’ve become.