Resident Evil 6 datamined: reveals DLC on the disc, Capcom responds

Monday, 8th October 2012 14:39 GMT By Dave Cook

Resident Evil 6 has been datamined and modded to reveal several items of DLC on the disc. An intrepid modder has found the content and posted it in a series of SPOILERIFIC videos online. Watch at you peril.

The modder, known as FluffyQuack (ace name!) made the discovery, which include a new ‘No Hope’ difficulty, alternate costumes and taunts. Get the videos below.

Capcom responded to the discovery with a statement that read, “We still have unannounced DLC for RE6 that will be revealed in the coming months and while virtually all such content will not be on the disc there will be one piece of content, that for technical reasons, requires the use of a combination of newly downloaded data and data that is included on the retail game disc.”

What do you make of on-disc DLC? Bad practice or is it up to developers what they do with their own code. Speak your brains below.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. TheBlackHole

Bring on digital-only releases, then this ‘on disc’ nonsense can go away.

2. Dark

Well you can unlock the characters and costumes when you get A or S in the Mercenaries mode.

3. Gama_888

Fuck this on-disk dlc bullshit.

Its just the devs/publishers trying to make money out of content that should be included on the disk at launch.
    the fact that its there just proves it.
    if i pay £40 for a game then i own that copy and everything on that disc should belong to me.

its total BS how devs just lock this shit away on the disk, then make you pay more for what you allready own!!

im all for expansion packs that actually add something to a game and isnt ready when the game launches, but to put this stuff on the disk and then not allow the users to use it is BS!

if a part of the game is ready when the game launches it should be available when the game launches!!! Not locked away and charged for.

And capcoms statement is a load of crap aswell,
    “that for technical reasons, requires the use of a combination of newly downloaded data and data that is included on the retail game disc.”

OBVIOUSLY NOT WHEN A MODDER ALLREADY HAS IT RUNNING!!!

4. HeavyD-Love

Expect anything else from CAPCOM?

5. ps3fanboy

i knew it… you guys know what to do now… BOYCOTT CRAPCOM!.

6. ManuOtaku

I was hesitant on cancelling this game order and getting XCOM instead, now this decision is pretty clear now, i have never ever played before XCOM, but at least the money will be better spent in this game than more on this DLC on disc thing, i will never buy Street figther X tekken for the same reason, even though i love this series, and i love resident evil, but this is a no-no in my eyes.

7. AHA-Lambda

So essentially capcom lied to us after saying no more on disc DLC? Utter swines.

Is there any legal basis for a lawsuit to this?

8. KrazyKraut

Who has the game and cries: Your own fault. Thats why I didn’t pre-order the game and even bought it now. Waiting for the shining gold edition :)

9. YoungZer0

@9:

“Loyalty should be punished.”
    - CAPCOM

10. TMRNetShark

Now watch, they still come out with the DLC and it’s the exact same thing that is in these videos. :P

11. CPC_RedDawn

This is the main reason why I have not brought this game or will buy any CAPCOM games from now on. Even if they do stop doing this I still will not buy any CAPCOM games. Once I loved this company, great fighting games, great survival horror games, and they also made Devil May Cry my fav PS2 game! But now they have become washed out, remaking the same games over and over again. Then they pull shit like this that literally makes my blood boil. This has to be made illegal. Its not for technical issues its to save on server space. Having content locked away on disc all they have to do is release a VERY small patch file that unlocks it. Making the download very small and the server load very low. Cutting costs dramatically, but if I pay £40 for a disk I want to have access to EVERYTHING on that disc! Its like buying a DVD and then having to pay more money for the special features! Or buying a Porche and having it capped at 60Mph and having to pay to have the top speed unlocked!!!

FUCK CAPCOM!! I SHALL FROM HERE ON PIRATE ANY GAME THEY RELEASE THAT I WANT TO PLAY!

12. loveaya

That’s really Crapcom’s stuff~ So i’m waiting for the Golden Edition~

13. KrazyKraut

@YoungZer0

at least since the Street Fighter DLC thing, Capcom loyalists should have said good-bye.

But yeah…even when they were sorry about RE5 DLC stuff, I already knew that you never could trust them.

14. YoungZer0

I’ll still buy DmC, because i don’t think they have planned any good DLC for it and i really don’t care about any costumes, because i really like the new Dante.

15. KrazyKraut

@16 same here^^
    I was skeptical about the new one, but after watching all video material available I ashamed what I thought before.

16. ps3fanboy

its people like you that keep crapcom afloat… and why crapcom can keep on doing the crap they do every time. its time to boycott everything, not keep buying. you want the change for the better then don’t buy…. then when the money stops crapcom will listen, and give us proper games and dlc not on disc. at this time crapcome earn money anyway and they can give a shit about you. YOU WANT THIS TO HAPPEN?… ARE YOU A DUMB CUSTOMER LIKE CRAPCOM THING YOU ARE?… vote with your wallet, dont buy but boycott now.

17. YoungZer0

@17: The last Capcom Game i bought was the Gold Edition of RE5 for 20 Euros. The game before that was … ugh, i don’t even remember.

So explain to me how i keep Crapcom afloat? I buy DmC because it’s a Ninja Theory game, and they are not known for leaving out material to sell it later as DLC.

18. Gekidami

Actually they never said “no more on-disc DLC” just that they were “re-evaluating” it: