Notch refuses to certify Minecraft for Windows 8, would rather it “not run on W8 at all”

Thursday, 27th September 2012 11:25 GMT By Nick Akerman

Minecraft creator Markuss Persson has foiled Microsoft’s attempt to clarify the game for Windows 8. The much-loved Notch once again took to Twitter in order to discuss his thoughts. As ever, there’s no punches pulled.

Notch’s tweets can be viewed below:

Microsoft has been asserting software certifications since Windows XP, ensuring all content on the OS reaches a certain quality. It isn’t compulsory for a game to align itself with the criteria that states it must not restart a system, plays with multiple logins and other details.

So, there we have it. Minecraft is now that badboy at school that doesn’t comply to rules. Is it cooler for doing so?

Thanks to PCGamesN for the heads up.

1. Maximum Payne

Dat ignorance.

2. G1GAHURTZ

Absolutely ridiculous.

3. SplatteredHouse

It’s his game, and he can align it with whatever platform he feels best.

“I told them to stop trying to ruin the pc as an open platform.”

There’s a valid point of opposition to where Notch doesn’t care for, or want to endorse that environment. THAT’s the reason, not necessarily because of some anti-establishment angle that you’re trying to put across.

4. _LarZen_

This is just a nerd crying, Minecraft will come to W8. To much money to be earned not to…

5. Freek

Except that it’s not valid at all. The people who don’t look outside the official Win 8 store are not his customers, even if that store did not exist, they would still not be his customers.
    It’s the kind of person who doesn’t really know or understand how a PC works and would get riddled with virusses were it not for a walled garden. Not a PC gamer, not anybody who would ever even consider installing Minecraft.

6. freedoms_stain

@4, it doesn’t need certification to run on Windows 8. If it did then the state of affairs is already way worse than anyone feared.

7. KrazyKraut

“I told them to stop trying to ruin the pc as an open platform.”

No, no. Windows as open platform. Not PC, Windows.

8. Hunam

It’ll work on Windows 8 fine. Just Microsoft trying to be too controlling.

9. Deacon

Seems Microsoft are simply trying to assure quality. I don’t see that as a bad thing.

He’s pissing in the wind imo. All OS’ are set to become tighter and more controlled. It’s just the way things are heading.

There’ll always be other, alternative, more open platforms for those that care that much about it.

10. Old MacDonald

I wish more devs would follow his example.

11. roadkill

Notch! I salute you! o7

12. darkshale

He isn’t the only one who has expressed displeasure toward Win8, Gabe Newell and others have also said they do not like the barriers to content that windows 8 creates. In fact windows 8 should just be called Microsoft Walls, sure you can look at them but not through them to the other side.

13. Deacon

But don’t Apple and Steam have hoops to jump through too? Don’t most ‘marketplaces’? I really don’t see the big hoo-haa, unless Win8 will make it impossible for indie devs to get their games released. I believe these ‘barriers’ as some would call them will become more and more prevalent as the industry shifts more to digital.

Apologies if I’m not seeing / understanding the whole picture here.

14. OrbitMonkey

Develops Minecraft for 360 (closed platform), refuses to certify Minecraft for Windows 8 because he believes it’s creating a closed platform?

Am I missing something?

15. G1GAHURTZ

As far as I’m concerned, Windows 8 is fine for consumers, and bad for lazy debs who want to run their own monopoly off of someone else’s work.

I’d much rather have a safe and secure marketplace that’s easy to use, than not. Which is why, as much as I despise Apple as a company, I prefer iOS massively over a more open system like Android.

I think that the vast majority of (non-techie) people are the same way.

These guys are just petrified of having more competition.

16. G1GAHURTZ

@15:

Also develops Minecraft for iOS…

17. Mineral4r7s

@15 afaik Mojang is not developing minecraft for xbox. that was someone else.

18. Maximum Payne

Just because MS have their market place , doesn’t mean Origin,Steam,Battle.net and other services would not still operate exactly same as they before

19. G1GAHURTZ

@18:

Well, they’re knee deep in the iOS version…

20. Christopher Jack

@16, Android is open, Google Play is controlled & how the hell is it hard to use? Have you even seen Google Play?

Peoples’ problems with Win8 is the way its store is integrated, not the actual store itself.

21. OrbitMonkey

@15, He may have farmed out the 360 version to someone else, but it still made him a metric fuckton of money.

On a closed system… But now he’s having an attack of scruples?

22. darkshale

Windows the lead operating system for the PC with numbers that dwarf all primary OS for PC users has traditionally been an open environment with a set of rules in place to keep everything running well.

As I understand it from those who develop software and have spoken out against Windows 8 claim that the certification process takes takes this many steps further to a place that doesn’t so much protect just stability and compatibility but installs a gatekeeper much like the XBOX or iOS.

Those systems have been traditionally closed and for the most part that is fine, though we do occasionally hear about how software is constantly delayed or prohibited release.

But those aren’t the PC.

While a closed platform while in theory could provide the exact same or even better experience for me the end user I don’t want to give up my illusions of freedom.

23. freedoms_stain

@16, are developers going to have to wait a month to have minor updates to their software certified like they do on the Live platform? Is that good service?

24. Phoenixblight

THere is no certification for Windows 8 for the PC. If you want it on the MS store sure there will be but its just as open as it was before. You can still get your software from the internet. No one is forcing you to go through the integrated store.

For MS tblets it will be closed but that is to be expected since the biggest seller of tablets is iOS and as we all know, that system is as closed as it can get.

25. Krisgebis

Windows 8 isn’t a closed platform at all. The Microsoft store is (exactly like Steam, Origin, Mac Store). This is a place to help sell apps, that goes well with the metro interface and expose new software to computer illiterates.

In windows 8 itself you can still install every piece of software, just like any old version of windows.

@25: You were a bit faster than me :)

26. Freek

Yup, both Notch and Gabe are spreading a bunch of FUD because they have a vested intrest in their not being a Windows Store. That has nothing to do with users getting a closed platform, nothing of the sort is happening. It’s because they do not want the added competition.

27. Talkar

Once again, a ‘famous’ person uses his influence to spread bad information… Bravo…

28. freedoms_stain

@27, sounds reasonable… now explain how Notch has a vested interest in there not being a Microsoft Store and how it competes with his products. This should be good.

29. G1GAHURTZ

@21:

I wasn’t saying that Google Play isn’t easy to use. I was saying that it’s not safe and secure. There are no antivirus apps available on iOS, and there’s a good reason for that. Google Play, on the other hand, contains all sorts of junk that makes it necessary to have one.

@24:

I don’t think it’s that much of a problem if they test things properly in the first place. Anyway, are you sure about that, because some of my 360 games get updated quite frequently. Way more Han once a month.

30. OrbitMonkey

@30, I’ve always wondered why IOS has never been hacked….? Hackers love Apple?

31. Christopher Jack

@30, & how log ago did you receive this information that it’s not safe & secure? Since the introduction of the Android bouncer, the security has been comparable to that of iOS. The anti virus software is only necessary if you decide to download from elsewhere which is disabled by default but easily changed when wanted.

@31, http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2011/11/07/iphone-security-bug-lets-innocent-looking-apps-go-bad/

My main problem with these closed systems like iOS & WindowsRT & Phone have always been the restricted options- f I want a piece of software, I am forced to deal with them, at least with video game console I have the option of getting a physical disk from any retailer of my choice but i’d appreciate it if I could actually buy digital copes from places besides PSN or XBL- I could always purchase download codes but I don’t see may legit retailers offering them so I tend to avoid that option.

32. aseddon130

Well i ordered my copy of WIndows 8 earlier on and the last thing in the world that i want to see on any store and not a Windows 8 storefront is Minecraft, it is an overrated POS that has the nerve to call itself a ‘game’

All you have to do with Win8 is press ‘Desktop’ tile on the new start menu and hey look, it’s Windows 7

The outcry towards Win8 is completely unjustified and is just the internet bitching about nothing (which is ‘the internet being the internet’)

33. freedoms_stain

@30, no matter how well you test your patch Microsoft have to test it. As for your anecdotal evidence, I have never seen any Xbox games patched that frequently.

@31, it has and there are black market app stores for iOS.

34. G1GAHURTZ

@34:

Maybe you haven’t, but I have.

35. lama

win 8 is absolute garbage, its crap for noobs!

36. Dragon246

I am still on vista, so it doesn’t matter to me.

37. Fin

A) Why does anyone care what Notch says

B) What’s wrong with having applications certified for W8?

38. Stardog

It’s only brainless console fans who want this Windows store.

They’ve ruined gaming so far (see XCOM), and I don’t see why they would stop now.

39. Fin

Bro, why would the Windows store be bad for games? Would developers not be able to release games outside of Windows store? Oh wait, yes they fucking can, there’s no reason for the store not to exist.

40. RandomTiger

@39 It could create a two tier situation, some more casual users may never venture beyond the MS store. This ‘might’ lead to developers feeling pressured to develop for the MS store, having to jump through extra hoops to get products made, diverting time and resources to stuff that may not benefit gameplay at all.

I assume MS will take a cut too.

Hopefully everyone will just ignore it like they tend to with a lot of things MS and other company’s try to push on them and life will continue as normal.

If Notch doesn’t want to publish Minecraft on steam I’m not surprised he doesn’t want to publish on MS’s store either. Having said that I reckon Minecraft might be a product that could benefit from a bit of certification.

41. Cobra951

My hero! Love ya, Notch! Keep it up!

42. sh4dow

@28:

I’m not #27 but I’ll still answer your question:

If the Microsoft store becomes a quasi standard like stores on other platforms, most users will buy their software from there and all developers will have to give a considerable amount of their revenues to Microsoft. Which they wouldn’t have had to otherwise.
    Of course you can still (try to) sell software the old-fashioned way. But that just doesn’t work well once there is a quasi-monopoly like also e.g. Steam. There, you can clearly see it how bad it most of the time is for developers to not be represented there.
    And you can bet your ass that Microsoft is going to put many, many millions into marketing the shit out of their store, so that everybody WILL buy there.

43. absolutezero

Then Windows 9 trundles along and it now is mandatory. Sorry you all bought Windows 8 and went along with it so I guess you’ll be perfectly find with having no other option but to use it.

44. Lozone

PLEASE NOTCH MAKE IT WINDOWS 8 COMPATIBLE D’:

45. awsome2819

i have NEVER played minecraft before. I got a laptop for Christmas and it had windows 8 on it. I had to wait till my birthday to get the money for minecraft, but by the time I figured out minecraft is not certify for windows 8 so I guess I will not play minecraft then….. so that means any other windows 9-10-11-12 will not be minecraft

#45 1 year ago
  46. awsome2819

I will never play minecraft

#46 1 year ago
  47. crazybomboy

Just Figured this out today.JUST BOUGHT WINDOWS 8.And now i will never play minecraft because FUCKIN NOTCH SAYS NO!Screw you Notch screw you…

#47 1 year ago
  48. zanderlv

no completly legit and i dont blame him windows 8 sucks thair making it harder for use scripters to script id rater use a mak then use windows 8 and i think you all shud get a life throw away your xbox 1 and windos 8 and just use windows xp if thay ceap it up thair will be no more games for computers and are computers wll be are phones absolutly not will not have it and i agrea with noch just guys use a emulator for windos 7 on your windows 8 so you can play it on your windows 8 ont be stupid

#48 10 months ago
  49. zanderlv

and your rong ive seen people playing it on a windows 8 but idk how

and its not his falt itsa bad driver for windows 8

#49 10 months ago
  50. Sethos

Whine whine Windows 8, big baby.

#50 10 months ago