Assassin’s Creed 3 dev: easy mode can ruin games

Tuesday, 4th September 2012 02:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Assassin’s Creed 3 creative director Alex Hutchinson doesn’t believe in “easy mode”.

“A lot of games have been ruined by easy modes,” Hutchinson told EDGE.

“If you have a cover shooter and you switch it to easy and you don’t have to use cover, you kind of broke your game. You made a game that is essentially the worst possible version of your game.”

Although other media such as film may tone down content for the broadest possible theme, Hutchinson used an analogy to illustrate how unique this problem is to video games.

“It’s like if I picked up a book and it said, ‘Do you want the easy version or the complicated version?’” he said.

Assassin’s Creed 3 won’t have an easy mode, instead plumping for a medium level of difficulty. But it will have an option for as in Brotherhood and Revelations, players will be challenged to fulfil optional requirements while completing missions, which will up the difficulty for those keen to do it the hard way. The action adventure epic hits in October on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, with an October PC launch and undated Wii U debut.

“Easy mode” is the topic du jour after Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki said he’d considered putting one in the notoriously difficult RPG because people are so scared of it, despite the fact that it goes against the game’s design principles.

1. Omelette

If your game is rated mature, then I guess you don’t need an easy mode.

2. SlayerGT

If your game is designed well you shouldn’t need an easy mode.

3. YoungZer0

Yeah right. Instead of admitting that they are too lazy to develop more than one one difficulty (which always has been easy btw.) he choose to spin the whole thing.

God, i just get tired of marketing bullshit.

4. Stoopid_Snot

I like Easy mode when I played the game like 100 times but come back to it after years just to refresh my memories of the story

5. freedoms_stain

I completed Brotherhood not long ago, something like 93% sync, it was pish easy from start to finish whether you do the full sync or not. Doing full sync just means you’re playing the game linearly (doing what you’re told to meet the full sync requirement) rather than playing your own way. The missions I didn’t get 100% sync on were ones you pretty much have to play once and come back with prior knowledge in order to complete – that’s not really hard, it’s just tedious.

Assassins Creed needs difficulty and a vast overhaul of mechanics or they can start calling it Auto-Creed to match up with their Auto-Parkour and Auto-OHK counter Auto-Aim combat system.

6. KrazyKraut

Hey Mr. Hutchinson, we all enjoyed the FF 25th and Metal Gear Events some days ago. Are we racists now?

7. TheWulf

Wait. What? I’m confused. Assassin’s Creed, any version, is one of the most mindlessly easy games I have ever played. The only way you can lose is if you look away from the screen and spam buttons. So… essentially he’s saying that the Assassin’s Creed games were terrible games, and the worst renderings of that sort of game that anyone could develop?

I kind of agree. I was never a fan of Assassin’s Creed, anyway. Not my genre because most of the historical stuff bores me, and there’s just not enough escapism involved for me. But I’m genuinely confused about the AC head honcho saying that his games are terrible.

O… kay then.

Is Assassins Creed III terrible too? I suspect that won’t be any different than the previous titles, will it?

Well then.