Next Gears of War to be unveiled at MS E3 presser

Thursday, 31st May 2012 17:02 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The next Gears of War game has been announced as the next cover for the new Game Informer with an official unveil at E3 next week.

A brand new Gears of War game is being made and is coming to Xbox 360, Game Informer has announced as part of its new cover for its next issue.

No more details were announced, but the new title will be shown for the first time at the Microsoft press conference at E3 on Monday

GI’s promising two covers for the issue, as well as an extensive online look at the game and a teaser trailer for Monday once the announcement has been made.

The mag will also have an online hub that will feature further coverage on the game throughout the month.

The original Gears of War trilogy from Epic’s North Carolina studio, featuring Marcus Fenix, wrapped up last September. A Kinect on-rails spin-off, Exile, was in the works, but Epic design director Cliff Bleszinski has said its been canned.

Its also been rumoured that Epic-owned Bulletstorm developer People Can Fly has been working on a prequel trilogy.

All will be known come Monday. Teaser cover is below.

1. Da Man

Gears of War is a piece of shit and an Uncharted rip-off. I hate Epic games.

Where’s the straight talking, no nonsense corrector Gekidami?

2. Se_7_eN

@1 – As a Sony fanboy, and a huge fan of Uncharted… Even I am going to say it, you are an idiot.
    In no way is GoW an Uncharted rip off. A terrible game? Yes… But far from an Uncharted rip off. As a matter of fact, Uncharted came out AFTER Gears. Sorry dude brah.

3. Moonwalker1982

@1 i reaaaaaally hope you are kidding now dude, that’s all.

But i hate these kind of leaks….ruins the surprise.

4. TheBlackHole

Hell to the fucking yeah!

Love me some Gears of War.

5. The_Red

That cover art is way too classy for a game like Gears of War.

Also, @1 did you know that Gears 1 came out more than a year BEFORE Uncharted 1 and was first shown 3 years before that?

6. Fin

Awesome! Totally surprised by this!

@3 It’s not really a “leak”, it’s certainly controlled by MS.

7. ant72

I think Gears of War is great.

8. gdogg979

I was going to say didnt gears came out before uncharted,no?

anyway i didnt see this coming??why couldnt this have been left as an actual suprise for MS’s E3?

although i remember an article a few months back stating that microsodt would have all 4 of there main ip’s at e3.

Halo
    Gears
    Fable
    Forza

if they can just go and announce one new ip or pretty much any other AAA core game thats isn’t one of these franchises and non kinect then i’ll be a happy man and it would seem that there e3 wouldn’t have been as bad as everyone was predicting?

Also just seen this is stated as 360 game and def not a ’720′ game…interesting?

9. daytripper

Predictable Microsoft is predictable

10. Ireland Michael

Yeah, more overblown, pretentious dick waving and violence. Just what gaming needs!

11. mad1723

Ouch, hopefully it’s not another case of jumping the shark. Halo 4, God of War and now a new Gears of War…

12. Moonwalker1982

It’s kinda too bad that they aren’t coming with something brand new. Like Naughty Dog is doing with The Last of Us, but on the other hand….isn’t this new Gears being made by People can fly?

13. jdfoster00

Shock horror… Honestly …. Halo 22 Gears of War 12 …. Need NEW games…. And announcing it not even 1 year after gears 3….

14. hives

Lol. It would be MUCH bigger surprise and cool news if Microsoft just announced this game on conference. Teasing it days before E3 just… spoils it.

Still cool, but meh. I don’t like that there are no real surprises on game events…

15. Ireland Michael

@13 Halo this year. Gears of War next year. Halo the year after that. They have the circle down pretty tightly at this point.

16. Da Man

Hey, number 2 and 5..

Breaking news:

I was being sarcastic.

It was a deliberate bullshit, to test a few things here and there. Unbelievable, I know.

17. gdogg979

who says they won’t announce a new game aswel??

fingers crossed anyway.

a big budget game from twisted pixel would be nice.

18. daytripper

@12 In my E3 predictions thread on the forum I said MS would announce a new Gears going off by how predictable they are and the People Can Fly rumours, I did say it would be a download XBLA title but I’m probably wrong on that one.

I like Gears but 3 hasnt been out a year yet for fuck sake. I hope they are saving new i.ps and ideas for the next system because before the last couple of E3′s most gaming communities have predicted nearly all they will announce beforehand with ease. Boring.

E3 is becoming boring too, too many leaks and reveals before the actual event these days.

19. Maximum Payne

They should waited for next gen IMO.
    I don’t think they would innovate with 4th now.Just like Naughty Dog maybe skip Uncharted 4 ?

20. daytripper

@15 Yep, spot on.

21. G1GAHURTZ

Cool!

So there may just be a reason for me to bother watching anything from E3 after all…

22. OlderGamer

Next gen will just be, shinier, prettier, smoother. Same damn games.

23. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, like Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Metroid, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, Kirby, F-Zero, etc, etc, etc…?

24. gdogg979

yea but who’s to say they wont announce another game aswel??

you bunch of pessimists ;-)

though im also suprised no has mentioned ,what if its kinect only??

HOLY SHIT..Imagine the uproar.

25. Moonwalker1982

Nah it won’t be Kinect only. That Kinect Gears game got canned, remember? :). But i doubt a brand new game from MS. All they keep doing is making new Halo’s and new Gears games. I wish they would take a look at Naughty Dog for a minute.

26. gdogg979

yeah your probably right..but im sure someone somewhere said that they had one new AAA ip to announce this year?

of course that could be complete horse shit..

i want a conkers done by twisted .perfect combo!

27. Patrick Garratt

Oh, God. Speechless. Fucking awesome.

28. Pytox

Isn’t it Kinect Gears of War? Maybe they recreated some stuff or changed things?

29. Moonwalker1982

Aaaah right, you mean that AAAAA game or whatever, it sounded ridiculous,lol. Ah well, i’m holding my excitement for surprise games, only to avoid dissappointment. MS has been a let down when it comes to E3 conferences lately.

A brand new Conker sounds too good to be true, so that won’t happen :(.

30. Monk

Meh

31. Da Man

So they’ve announced another one, in about three years it ‘ll be released and then there will be another one (probably) in three years or so. What milking, a circle of doom.

I’ll take the amazing Binary Domain over this any day of the week.

32. Zana

Not needed. At all.

33. Moonwalker1982

If People can Fly is behind this, count me in!! It could mean that the game will feel different from the other three games. I hope it does.

34. polygem

seriously i just don´t get some of your comments here. you can say what you want about the charakters, general cheesyness and whatnot about gears. i am fine with that. but to say gears of war is a shit GAME is just…well…a huge lie, utter shit, crap, nonsense, bullshit, let´s say: simply wrong. this has nothing to do with opinion. if you cannot see the quality in the gameplay department you must be blind. gameplaywise it is among the best games in this console gen.

35. pukem0n

pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase announce some new IPs

i love Forza, Halo and Gears, but seriously. its gonna get stale someday

36. manamana

Oh great, another prequel then. Oh well, hopefully its an UE4 demo based on the gears franchise for nextgen. Love me some Gears, would really prefere a new IP from Epic though.

37. OrbitMonkey

@31, No-one is going to fall for that *looks at #2 & #5* Oh… Maybe they will…

38. OrbitMonkey

I wonder if this will be totally exclusive to Microsoft? Obviously the first trilogy was, but this could just be a timed exclusive…

;-)

39. minxamo

It’s official, we’re now announcing announcements of announcements…

40. OlderGamer

I guess the only differences is that those games you mentioned G1GA will all play differently to warrent new releases.

The next gears is going to be absolutly like the last three, and prolly the next three to come. Unless it really is Kinect only, then it would prolly be a mess.

And I am not trolling or being a fanboy or whatever:

“pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase announce some new IPs

i love Forza, Halo and Gears, but seriously. its gonna get stale someday”

–pukemOn

I am not the only one either. I am sure, at this point, a lot of gamers are tired of the same old game selections.

41. Hellhound30x

@Da Man actually Naughty Dog has already said that part of their inspiration for Uncharted’s cover mechanic came from Gears of war… stop talking nonsense dude.

42. polygem

he´s just kidding

@Ireland Michael: halo and gears are great games. i really can´t understand why you always say otherwise. see i love jak and daxter, so i have a soft spot for naughty dog. i like uncharted, i can see that it is a good game. still i dislike lots about the uc franchise. i would never ever say it is a bad game though, because it just isn´t. with gears or halo it is the same. you definiteley must not like em but failing to see the quality is just failing in general imho.

43. Da Man

44. Ireland Michael

@35 @40 It got stale years ago.

45. Da Man

0.59 k/d got stale in 1998.

polygem, what’s so surprising? This is internet. Do you know how many people think Bayonetta is a piece of rubbish and a sexist rehash of same old Dmc? I lost count. People tend to dislike something they can’t handle.

46. JRNO

So much for ‘Finishing The Fight’ and being ‘Brothers To The End’.
    Why can’t MS just give these guys a minute to come out with a new IP?
    I’m going to break something if all 360 is getting next gen is Gears, Halo and Forza.

47. Moonwalker1982

@ 46

This is gonna be a prequal. Marcus and his team’s story is over. But i agree, i wished they would come with a brand new IP for a change. But a brand new IP ain’t a guaranteed success, and a game with Gears of War in its name….is.

48. reask

I enjoyed 3 the least by a long shot,sp.
    Too easy imo and it felt like you were been led by the hand for the most part.
    I played it on highest level you can do on first play.
    1 was such a revelation for me shortly after getting my 360 it just said next gen imho.
    It looks dated now but at the time it held its own really.
    2 was a brilliant game imo played it on same diff as 3.
    I mean 3 was a lovely looking game and I remember at times thinking it looked as good as uncharted 2 in certain parts.

I just felt epic like others had moved in to the casual market for easy bucks.
    I know some might say play it again on top setting and then say that.
    Not the point really though as lots of folks play a game and move on to new games.

Second highest diff should not be that easy end of.
    Even the final boss was more of a pain than a challenge I just wanted it over at that stage.

Anyway just my honest opinion of it as a fan of the series who was not impressed with it and I will finish by saying uncharted 3 was an equal disappointment after 1 and 2.

49. daytripper

@47 dont understand that logic, all successful franchises once started as new i.ps or do you mean releasing them at this stage of a generation?

50. G1GAHURTZ

@OG:

Come on OG, be serious.

New Super Mario Bros Wii is basically an HD SNES game.

Mario Kart stays almost exactly the same, year after year, and each version of Zelda copies and pastes the same puzzles again and again.

And those are for the new versions!

The old versions get re-released, with or without an HZd upgrade.

The worst company in the world for releasing the same old games, again and again is Nintendo. No doubt about that at all.

51. G1GAHURTZ

@reask:

Try and finish it on Insane.

I don’t think you’ll be able to without coop.

52. ToxicCrusader

Another Gears game so soon after Gears 3? You’ve definitely shocked me microsoft, but not in a good way.

53. reask

Not the point though giga imo.
    Why bump something up so much to make you play it twice?

54. Ireland Michael

“New Super Mario Bros Wii is basically an HD SNES game.”

“Mario Kart stays almost exactly the same, year after year’

and each version of Zelda copies and pastes the same puzzles again and again.”

Except it doesn’t. Most of the Zelda games (especially the more recent ones) have completely switched up the interfaces, controls and inventory items. Skyward Sword is nothing like Twilight Princess, and likewise Wind Waker was nothing like Ocarina of Time. They all share the same dungeon structure, but that’s just a shell for the experience. The content is completely different in execution.

I get the very distinct impression you haven’t played most of these games, and you’re simply looking at the surface level, as opposed to actually experiencing the content directly.

55. monkeygourmet

Here we go again…

You continually rag on Gears yet you’ve never been able to provide evidence of a superior 3rd person cover shooter.

You seem to hate the bromance and violence thing, and yes it is a bit played out, but, shock horror, the gameplay is so finally tuned (especially in 3) that no other 3rd person shooters come close to this.

Same can be said with Halo, Uncharted and the majority of 1st party exclusives. A lot of people try to copy but never quite nail it.

Gears 3 had so much packed into a single release it was crazy good value.

A long campaign (in this day and age)
    4 player co op
    Polished multiplayer
    Horde mode (which gears made popular on consoles)
    Beast mode
    3d (decent 3d aswell which was a surprise)

I mean, once you get over the fact that most things are cheesy these days and concentrate on the gameplay, surely you cannot hold a little respect for a game that polished.

You come across as some kind of beret wearing pretentious star bucks dweller for not being able to get over the fact that alot of games feature beefy protagonists.

Bloody wolf PC engine, contra Nes, midnight Resistance Mega Drive….

We’ve always had stupid plots and steroid infused games characters, remember there can be sweet, sweet gameplay behind that! ;)

56. xino

this is stupid man!
    Xbox needs new IP and brands:/

i mean where is Unreal Tournament man!?:/

57. OlderGamer

Pretty much what Mike said G1GA.

I would also like to add that Mario Kart comes once in a console generation of hardware. Most of the Nintendo games only come out once in a generation, and some not even that much, like F-Zero, for example. Some more. But Other M was dratsicly different then the Prime style gameplay wise, as another example.

Where as Gears is gears is gears. And now a fourth one in the same generation of hardware. Fable is fable, forza is forza. And so on. Don’t even get me started on CoD lol ;)

Gears isn’t a bad game. I don’t hate it. Just got tired of it after Gears 2. If they had waited a few more years inbetween releases. Or had something new to bring to the table, I would have enjoyed the experience more. Over exposure is ruining a lot of games for me.

I know that must sound funny to some, knowing that I enjoy Nintendo games. But it comes back to keeping your games fresh, I think. If Nintendo put out 4 Mario Karts on the same hardware, I would feel the same way.

Edit: Just noticed that Xino said that same type of thing. Again over exposure.

58. Ireland Michael

” I’m talking the whole package here… I know you want to mention Vanquish, it’s a fine game but far from perfect and far from the level of polish we see in a Gears release.”

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Funny joke… *wipes tears from his eyes*

59. absolutezero

We don’t mention Other M OG, IT NEVER HAPPENED.

60. monkeygourmet

Wow, lovely come back!

Gotta elaborate my friend, if you don’t feel the need to, don’t bother making your troll bait comments at the start of a thread! :)

61. Ireland Michael

@60 One requires skill to play well. The other doesn’t. Vanquish is a far more polished game in the gameplay area than Gears could ever hope to be, which is a pretty game with a shallow core experience.

62. xino

turning the page to over 50+comments again:/
    seriously guys!? you need to reduce this pointless arguments.

I don’t mind if this is another Gears game, but Xbox need exclusive games.
    I bet this game will be a prequel.
    I hope it either has many new gameplay unique/blended or new features. Or it’s a different genre game.

no point having Gear 4 that plays like Gears 3 with new graphics.

i’m playing Uncharted 3, and I’m disappointed with the game, not completely but I find the gameplay very boring! Nothing new, just Uncharted 2 with amazing graphics.

63. manamana

Gears is top notch, end of story.

Milked franchise? Who cares!
    Didn’t enjoyed it? Who cares!
    My comment? Who cares!

Its like some semi-narcissistic personalities in here need to boost themselfs with bashing certain IPs and or manufacturers, instead of spreading their love to all kinds of them and respect the achievements of developers, artists and producers. But yeah, sitting and moaning is much easier than inventing and producing, right?

64. monkeygourmet

And, there’s the rub…

You truly must be an awful Gears player not too spot the intricate play styles it offers…

Don’t knock a game for that though, Vanquish was always going to be based on solo score attack for longevity…

I forgot, you also dont like any game with a beef cake male persona, god of war, halo, etc…

But, wow! Some euro / jap guy in a mech suit doing some back flips and smoking a cigarette through a shooting range is the next best thing ever! :)

65. absolutezero

You dislike a game I like, that must mean you are bad at the game I like. There is no other possible explanation.

I like Gears for being a big boorish stupid explosive thing with nice gunplay and silly storylines.

In-depth and intricate it is not, its also not responsive or really all that well put togethor.

66. monkeygourmet

For example: I dislike shadow of the colossus, it just doesn’t sit right with me… But, I would never troll bash it in an article because I can see the artistic force that flows trough the project… I even go so far as purchasing these type of games as I understand the importance of certain studios having to make profit…

But importantly, I understand good, solid gameplay over comes all.

Gears of War has solid gameplay coming out of its kazoo! :)

And you can take that to the bank!

67. Ireland Michael

@64 I couldn’t give a toss if the lead had a neck the size of a tank, a girly figure and spikey hair, or was a purple and pink unicorn with an afro. The only thing I give a crap about is the quality of the gameplay.

Nor am I adverse to violence in video games. I’m simply adverse to violence for violence sake. If that’s what gets you off, good for you. It doesn’t do it for me. It’s called personal preference.

Even then, the story (what little there is) is contrived, the characters are contrived, and the setting is contrived. At least Vanquish is self-knowing in the fact, and doesn’t try to pretend otherwise. Vanquish doesn’t try to take itself seriously. Gears of War does. And thats half it’s problem.

Gears of War Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL3B8hPy9yE

Vanquish Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScCr_U-6loE

Just looking at the two is like comparing Space Invaders to EVE Online. One is so much more refined than the other on a purely gameplay level that you can see it even more the video. Having played the games and experienced them for myself, the feel of the game in action only cements the exceptional quality for me even more.

Trying to discredit the validity of my opinion by using some ad hominem criticisms of my personal preferences doesn’t actually argue the point of the topic at all. Try telling me *how* the game is better on a gameplay level.

“No, I dislike people dismissing things that other people have clearly put a lot of work into without backing up their reasons…”

Sturgeons Law, my friend. That’s all I have to say.

68. daytripper

Vanquish is brilliant, it’s like what a current gen Contra should of been. Hope it gets a sequel.

69. G1GAHURTZ

“Except it isn’t. It may have a similar aesthetic, but SMB:Wii is so far removed from the traditional side scrolling Mario games that they are completely different experiences.”

Unsubstantiated opinion. Try again.

“Except it doesn’t. Each game (one or two stinkers not included) introduces completely NP handling schemes and mechanics, and the handling changes radically from game to game.”

Handling tweaks are about as much of a new experience as a new gun in a new CoD game. You move differently… Big deal.

The core experience is intentionally unchanged.

“Except it doesn’t. Most of the Zelda games (especially the more recent ones) have completely switched up the interfaces, controls and inventory items. Skyward Sword is nothing like Twilight Princess, and likewise Wind Waker was nothing like Ocarina of Time. They all share the same dungeon structure”

Thanks for agreeing with me in a futile attempt to do the complete opposite.

I didn’t mention anything about control schemes, which are clearly different in Zelda’s case. We’re specifically talking about the gameplay here. Not only is the dungeon structure the same, but so are the PUZZLES.

Which is exactly what I said.

I’m pretty sure I’ve played more Nintendo games than you think…

I’m also pretty sure that it wouldn’t take more than a quick browse through Metacritic to find quote after quote in review after review that agrees with every single claim that I’ve made.

70. G1GAHURTZ

@OG:

I know ‘Gears is Gears’. This is simple logic. Gears is Gears, like Mario is Mario, and Zelda is Zelda.

If they changed the formula, they’d break the game.

Nobody opens a can of Coke and expects to get a completely new taste every time.

The point is that if you criticise one company for doing it, you have to criticise them all, and Nintendo are the worst at this.

71. Ireland Michael

@70 And that’s wha you don’t understand, they do change the formula. All the time.

“Handling tweaks are about as much of a new experience as a new gun in a new CoD game.”

And that’s like saying it’s the same book even if you change the story.

“I didn’t mention anything about control schemes, which are clearly different in Zelda’s case.”

And Mario’s. And Mario Kart. And Metroid. And Kirby. etc. etc.

” We’re specifically talking about the gameplay here.”

Because… ya know… the way your character is controlled in the game environment has absolutely *nothing* to do with gameplay…. I don’t even.. what?. *raises hands in the air*

“Not only is the dungeon structure the same, but so are the PUZZLES.”

Not even remotely.

I only meant structure is so far as you go to defined locations to collect items that help in the next location. Most of the newer games don’t even have “dungeons” in the literal sense of the word.

So Skyward Sword controls nothing like past games, has completely new abilities never seen in past games, completely new puzzles that make use of those Motion Plus abilities, and it even introduces completely new characters and villains to the franchise… but it’s still the same old rehashed stuff?

I can safely say you probably haven’t played half these games.

As opposed to… Oh, I don’t know… Call of Duty. Which goes so far as to literally rehash models and graphical assets from past game…

“If I use a touchscreen to control Space Invaders instead of an arcade cabinet joystick, it doesn’t change the fact that I’m still playing the. Same 30+ year old game.”

And yet Space Invaders: Infinity Gene is a completely different game from the original. Funny that.

72. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah. I see NINETEEN years really did a whole lot for Mario Kart.

Want more?

73. Ireland Michael

@72 Yeah, because you’re totally not just looking at the surface aesthetic and nothing else…

74. G1GAHURTZ

Pot.

Kettle.

Umm… I’m sure you know where this is going to end…?

75. Ireland Michael

@74 Not even remotely. The Gears, Halos and CoDs have very, very slight changes in controls and structure between games, and those are released numerous times within a single console generation. The only Nintendo game I can think of that’s genuinely guilty of this is the Metroid Prime series… which had two sequels too many, in full truth.

76. G1GAHURTZ

Shall we revisit this in another 27 years…?

77. Ireland Michael

@76 That video is a gross simplification of NSMB:Wii. It would be like reviewing CoD or Battlefield without covering the multiplayer.

78. G1GAHURTZ

Well, well, well…

Now that’s an interesting analogy!

79. polygem

the Nintendo discussion: i think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. imho skyward sword and the mario galaxy games are among the finest games of this gen. galaxy improved and changed a lot about mario, even if you compare to 64, skyward sword did the same. windwaker and skyward sword play the same and completeley different at the same time. then compare those to spirit tracks, same formula- COMPLETELEY different, all awesome. imo this is a big quality, something you do not see that often. that´s what nintendo is so great at. unbeatable.

Michael: you have this macho stuff in uc too for example. it is even more “dangerous” there because it´s not that obvious and not so overacted. same goes for the violence. i hate games that are overly violent too. we do not need that in games. we do not need that chainsaw in gears – still gears is probably the best 3rd person shooter yet if you just look at the gameplay. that said i want epic to go in another direction with their next tps but would i say gears is a bad game. nope. it is not. criticize it for the violence and cheesyness and that it is more of the same. but the polish and gameplay? blind?
    what i just don´t get in your comments is that you obviously fail to see the quality in gears (or halo)…this is sad really. you should ask yourself why, i mean, seriously.

80. Da Man

O’Connor talking about skill is like Lindsay Lohan talking about being humble. Except Lindsay Lohan is popular.

0.59 k.d. With Melee being the top weapon.

Think about that.

O’Connor, master the basics of original Halo. Basics. Then suggest changing the formula.

I remember when I’ve had OlderGamer on my friends list (removed them after a year or so for not playing anything same while constantly online) I saw his (O’Connor’s) gt. At the time Bayonetta came out. The guy barely made it through normal and had that one at about 500.. While constantly nagging around here, about how super skillful Bayonetta is.

. I presume the guy thinks a video game is hard because he feels like it. Or what’s more likely simply for the reason the guy likes to post controversial bs to make himself look like someone with independent vision. Sad.

Vanquish was a pos. It didn’t even have online mode. Might want to wait until Platinum makes one to compare it with Gears of War.

81. Da Man

Actually, I think the fact that H R alienated that many players with it’s AAs and there wasn’t a single person (half decent at it) who didn’t agree that they drastically changed the gameplay says everything.. It’s astounding how the people who know the least about it nag the most.

And that’s without looking at all of the other altered parts.

Funny really.

82. G1GAHURTZ

If O’Connor really had any vision, he’d recognise the fact that Gears was the first game to ever do a Horde mode.

What innovations has Bayonetta brought to gaming?

Nothing? Oh, well according to this review, it “can effortlessly make even the most ham-fisted of gamers feel like they’ve got elite skills”!

LOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

83. Ireland Michael

@80 “I saw his (O’Connor’s) gt. At the time Bayonetta came out. The guy barely made it through normal and had that one at about 500.. While constantly nagging around here, about how super skillful Bayonetta is”

And since then I’ve 100% it with all characters, including all content not related to achievements, of which there’s tonnes. In fact, it’s one of the few times I’ve ever *wanted* to get all the achievements in a game – most of the time I don’t care about them one way or the other. It’s a type of meta-gaming I don’t particularly care for – meaningless virtual badges for obscure tasks.

Some of us do actually have lives and obligations outside of video games, and we don’t have the time to plough right through games straight after it came out. I’m lucky nowadays if I get an hour of gaming in a day.

“Or what’s more likely simply for the reason the guy likes to post controversial bs to make himself look like someone with independent vision. Sad.”

If someone’s opinion on a video game is your idea of “controversial”, you need to get out more.

@82 Because survival mode never existed before Gears of War 2.

84. G1GAHURTZ

Stop deliberately misquoting me when you know you’re wrong.

I never even came close to using the word “survival”.

I clearly said Horde, and the whole world and his wife knows that Gears 2 was the first game to do it.

85. G1GAHURTZ

Your link is broken.

86. Da Man

O’Connor. that was exactly at the time bayonetta came out.

I had to look thru someone else friends list to find Old Man. thus I saw your.. independent gt.

The amount of nagging going on back then about how skill based the game is, and how it’s so much more demanding than anything barely compared to your gamerscore for it. That is HARD MODE ACHIEVEMNTS.

Do you know how many comments you’ve made on this website, you independent journalist who has access to E3? And me? I reckon my life > yours.

Now what was that about ad hominem.

You bore me, o’Connor.

So anyway, Ghz is right. As usual.

87. Ireland Michael

@84 Horde mode. A group of players take on increasing waves of more powerful enemies, until defeated or the final goal is reached, correct?

Wow, that doesn’t sound like Smash TV *at all*. Nope!

Ahahaha.

Giving it a different name doesn’t change the fact that’s survival mode.

88. G1GAHURTZ

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

Oh wow, that was desperate.

Try again.

89. Ireland Michael

@88 “Moving from one room to the next within the studio/arena, players have to shoot down hordes of enemies as they advance from all sides, while at the same time collecting weapons, power-up items, and assorted bonus prizes until a final show down with the show’s host where you are finally granted your prizes, your life and freedom.”

Nope, doesn’t sound like Horde Mode at all…

90. DrDamn

If you want to make that sort of comparison what about Space Invaders? Galaga etc? Completely different kettle of fish. Are you really arguing that the nuances of various Mario Kart’s are game changing and then claiming Horde Mode is just a glorified Smash TV?

I’m not a fan of Gears. Had the first not bothered buying the others. I’ve played two and three a fair bit multiplayer (local split screen mainly). In terms of pure gameplay it’s a fine and innovative example of a gaming series.

91. Ireland Michael

@90 Horde mode is survival mode with a different name. You survive until you die or complete a specific goal. It’s survival mode. There really no other way to argue it. Gears popularized the idea, but it certainly didn’t invent it.

92. G1GAHURTZ

@90:

93. Yoshi

Are you girls seriously comparing a JAPANESE style game to a WESTERN style game?

You speak about how Gears is too serious etc but Vanquish is also taking shit serious, it’s just Japanese serious. So people over the western side see it as cool and joking, while the Japanese audience see it as hardcore.

Know the audience girls, know the audience.

94. DrDamn

That is more or less what G1GA’s link said too. Whilst you can describe the two with similar terms the actual implementation and design of each are different. Survival Mode was designed as a money making exercise for arcades – i.e. provide a defined end point to get the players off the machine or to pump more cash in. Horde Mode is an exercise in refined co-operative gameplay.

95. OlderGamer

Horde modes have been around scince robotron. Hell Astroids.

Obvoiusly, after reading this thread. There is no point is talking about it. G1GA, I think your grasping at straws, coming to conclusions on games you haven’t actualy played. I wouldn’t be any more qualified to talk on the nouances of the CoD franchise. It doesn’t apeal to me, and I have played very little of the franchise this generation.

Same goes for you on Nintendo games. Honestly if you think the franchises remain the same from game to game? Even Mario on the NES had more differences then most games in a franchise do. That is the bread and butter of what is Nintendo. The legand of Zelda(one) compared to Zelda II: A Link to the past. Drasticly different. There are examples for both same and difference, but I am speaking about generalities. I know something the internet hates, as because people like to point out that one or two instances they think validate their arguement and completly crumbles the other side. DKC on the SNES released three games, all of them basicly the same. The games where made by Rare, but still are Nintendo 1st party games. But there are many franchises that Nintendo has that change the feel and flow and gameplay from one release to another.

There are two Kirby games this gen. Kirby is the little pink dude that likes to eat his enemy to take on the enemies abilities. Except in Kirbys epic yarn, he doesn’t eat anything. The gameplay, the core mechanics, were very different then the second Kirby game: Kirby Return to Dreamland. I know that because I have played both games.

Mario Kart? The main couple of things that work for me in Mario Kart are:

One game per generation of hardware(not per year, or every two years).

Something new in each game that changes the way it plays. First one was on SNES. Second was N64, brought 4player couch co-op, and more chars. Third was Gamecube, brought two players in one Kart, different karts to pick from for your driver, could switch between drivers on the fly. Wii brought motion controls and internet play.

Your still playing Mario Kart, but each one of those games changes the experience in a way that validates the franchise.

Even tho Horde mode was nothing new, it changed the experience in Gears, and added value to the game. I know that because I have played Gears, beaten both one and two. Horde mode made it a better game. What did Gears 3 add? What will Gears 4? It will improve and refine.

Nothing wrong with that. Thats what games do.

I never made this a Nintendo VS (everything, it seems) thread. That was you, G1GA, saying that I can’t critic games because I play Nintendo games. I enjoy a lot more games then just Nintendo ones.

But I am bored with a lot of game franchises this gen. Biggest reason, I think is over exposure. 4 gears games in the same gen is a bit much for me. Too much sameness.

Do you remember how on TurboDuo, SNES, and Gen(MD) there were floods of 2d shooters, platformers, and Fighters? Today isn’t much different but instead of three major generes we have one: Shooter. I think that is what Mike is saying when he critises todays games focus on violence and such. I know for me, and for other gamers, I am beyond tired of shooters. Thats why I spent so much time this gen playing arcade style games, indie games, and Nintendo games. It is also the main reason I play more PC today then I ever have.

I have come to the conclusion that while I am excited for the next gen, I bet the next gen will just be more of the same. More of the same franchises Halo, UC, Fable, CoD, Forza, Gears, Ass Cred, NFS, Elder Scrolls, LBP, BF, Kinect, GoW, and so on and so forth. Not too much is going change. And worse, i really don’t see any hardware advancements that will bring anything new to the table ‘cept shinier graphics. Hoping for something from Nintendos tablet-like controler, but that is about it.

It isn’t that I don’t enjoy games. I love games, just not most of what the industry (or the “core” audiance) thinks I should enjoy. Next gen I see a new Nintendo system under my TV, and sitting next to it a PC.

96. AHA-Lambda

ok, personally i feel cheated that a new game is coming out so soon, what happened to finishing the fight? Oh, wait…

97. DrDamn

I don’t understand what you think is the big difference between the way Nintendo change games and others. Is it just the frequency of change? Are any of the things you list as game changers in the Mario Kart franchise that different to stuff like Gears -> Gears 2 (addition of Hoard mode) -> Gears 3 (inclusion of Beast Mode and tower defence like mechanics to Horde Mode). You’re still playing Gears, but each one of those games changes the experience in a way that validates the franchise. ;). The biggest difference is more in your preference for game type.

98. G1GAHURTZ

@ OG:

Listen, I’ve bought 2 (two) versions of NSMB, and I also have a copy of NSMB Wii lying around, collecting dust somewhere that iirc, I also clocked.

I’ve probably played more hours of Zelda in my life than you and O’Connor put together, so keep your judgements to yourself, thanks.

Two DS versions, and the Wii one. So your one per gen theory doesn’t really hold up on close inspection.

I also didn’t make this into any sort of Nintendo vs the rest thread, by any means.

I just pointed out that Nintendo love to rehash old games and add bells and whistles to old titles as much as anyone else.

The fact that you can’t see that is alarming.

99. OlderGamer

“As for Mario Kart, so far this gen, we’ve actually had 3, two of which, I also bought (yes, I even got the steering wheel).”

Handhelds are a different matter.

And even there only one. Because one is DS and the other is 3DS.

I wrote: post 57:

“I would also like to add that Mario Kart comes once in a console generation of hardware. ”

I don’t understand your link?

Alot of times Nintendo rereleases a game from its console hardware onto its handheld hardware. Sometimes they add tweaks and sometimes they don’t. He was talking about, I think, putting zelda on a gameboy. They did the same type of thing with Orcania of Time and Mario 3D. Ported in essence the same game from a console to a handheld.

I know that a lot of gamers like to dismiss Nintendos line up because they see them as milking the franchise and putting out the same games over and over. I was just pointing out that the games themself have several core changes that change the way the games play. I believe that validates the new releases. And, in most cases the games don’t come out right on the heals of a pervious games release. That simply can not be said for a lot of games today.