Korean Fair Trade Commission raids Blizzard’s Seoul office over Diablo III complaints

Thursday, 31st May 2012 17:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Blizzard’s Seoul offices were raided by Korean authorities this week due to customer complaints filed with the country’s Fair Trade Commission. Customers complained to the body Blizzard refused to offer refunds to players unhappy with the game, and the FTC is currently investigating whether the firm was “ill-prepared” for the amount of players crushing its game servers. It is also looking into whether Blizzard’s no-return policy violates Korean law on electronic commerce and commercial contracts. A spokeperson for the FTC told The Korean Times it had received enough complaints from Diablo III players to launch the investigation, despite Blizzard adding more servers to help alleviate some of the player crush. If the firm is found to be acting counter to FTC laws, it will be forced to issue refunds to those who request it. Thanks, Shack.

1. DSB

Shit got real.

I wish more US companies had actual offices in places like that. It’s not always fun relying on US legislation.

2. Judicas

I personally hope Blizzard are forced to refund the players who want refunds. They knew exactly how popular the game would be when it launched and completely and utterly half assed it. That’s what you get for being lazy and no longer care about the game your publishing.

3. Yoshi

All they need to do is upgrade/buy some new fucking servers. How hard can it be? It doesn’t take weeks/months to fix something like this. The servers are too shitty and getting bombarded by people so like anything you upgrade.

4. Judicas

@3 they know ALL of this already from world of warcraft, the only reason it hasn’t been fixed yet is because they refuse to spend any money to do so.

5. Persenaama

Blizzard, thanks for stealing my money.

6. TheWulf

Yep. I’ve seen people talking about wanting the refunds all around the Internet. The funniest points were that latency is affecting even a player’s ability to click on items, and that disconnects have resulted in permadeaths for hardcore characters. The game is a complete mess right now, and I came across one thread where people were all agreeing in the futility of making hardcore characters.

Not to mention that there’s a ridiculously huge thread on battle.net at the moment with 26,000 (!) unique posters all complaining about the state of the game, the inability to log in, and wanting refunds.

I’m REALLY glad at this point that I chose to wait for Torchlight II.

7. TheWulf

What #4 said. I mean… if people don’t realise that Blizzard is out to take them for a ride yet, then I don’t know when they will. It just proves that marketing is an effective form of brainwashing. Very effective. So effective that it scares me a little, to be honest.

That or people are just really not very bright and weak willed.

World of Warcraft has been in decline for ages, yet you have people defending it, despite there being some great articles out there showing why the game is a mess of bad design choices and lazy development. Starcraft III was just Starcraft II HD, Diablo III is completely broken, and Blizzard can’t write for their games worth shit. (They’re pretty much known at this point for having some of the worst writers in existence. Need an example? Okay, Chris “Call me Mr. Retcon!” Metzen.)

It just amazes me that people are so utterly brainwashed that they still buy from Blizzard and even defend the turd sandwiches they have to force down their throats after buying a Blizzard game.

I mean, sure, it’s amusing on some level, but…

On a higher level, I actually feel bad for people. I don’t understand why they keep doing it to themselves? Is this some sado-masochistic thing? Is it that they want Blizzard to hurt them? Is it that they enjoy the notion that Blizzard might think of them as their bitch?

It’s amazing.

Just by playing the beta of Diablo III it was easy to see that it was the same old Blizzard that we’ve been used to, lately. The ‘new skills system’ was just a completely linear progression system (like levels, but dressed up all fancy, and much worse than the previous system that Diablo II used), the latency made the character teleport around, the combat had next to no physical feedback (it was floaty), and at least 45% of the game is spent in a beginning zone which is all goth, grimdark, and depressingly dull.

That beginning zone was all I needed, really. The intro was truly underwhelming, just how it handled it, and the world just felt really barren. I went out into the world and there were just these massive, empty areas. It felt like being in the Barrens again, which was one of the most awful areas in WoW (might be better after the reboot). It was just empty, like they were going to do more with it but never bothered.

This is in comparison to Torchlight II which throws varied and interesting environments at you from the beginning, isn’t broken, has meaty combat, isn’t depressingly grimdark-dull, doesn’t suffer from always online DRM, and is actually really, really, really fun to play! It also doesn’t feel barren in the way that Diablo III does, because the environment is a lot more involved and detailed in Torchlight II. It’s a more cartoony style, yes, but it’s one that allows them to pack in more detail without murdering lower end systems. (I prefer the style, anyway.)

All in all, Torchlight II is a vastly superior experience for $40 less.

And I sit here wondering how long people are going to keep forcing them to eat shit sandwiches and not admit that Blizzard has ripped them off for the umpteenth time, now.

I just feel really bad that they’re just not recognising this.

8. OrbitMonkey

Only Blizzard can stop a Korean from playing a Blizzard RPG…

9. DSB

@3 I reckon it’s more than that at this point. They’ve had a lot of unexplained outages.

I reckon they hoped for the best, and ignored the contingencies. There’s no room for hubris with a system like that, for a launch of that scale.

10. runbmp

@7, omg Wulf, you post had me laughing so hard, you sir made my day.

Its sad but I think you essentially described the situation as it really is.

11. Kabby

“Starcraft III was just Starcraft II HD”

TheWulf invents time travel.