Minecraft sales hit 9.2 million, PC version at 6 million

Friday, 25th May 2012 13:01 GMT By Alex Donaldson

Mojang’s business developer Daniel Kaplan has revealed that the company’s smash hit Minecraft has sold 9.2 million copies across its different versions.

Responding to a question from Markus ‘notch’ Persson on if anyone at the company had specific numbers, Kaplan revealed the statistic in a tweet.

That number includes the PC, Xbox Live Arcade, iOS and Android versions of the game. Persson also revealed that the PC version alone had hit 6 million copies sold.

The Xbox 360 version of the game smashed records when it launched and became a profitable endeavour within an hour of its release.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. Stardog

From 2m to 9.2m in one year. 1m to 9.2m in one and a half years.

Not bad.

It shows that some indie games that are older should keep advertising forever. There are always more people who haven’t played your game than have.

2. Da Man

I still don’t want to play it.

3. Old MacDonald

I remember when I was really excited to see the counter on Minecraft’s website cross 100k. It was amazing to see an indie game be that popular.

I wonder where it’ll end up. Crazy stuff.

4. TheBlackHole

@2 ditto.

5. ManuOtaku

#2,#4, not that my opinion should persuate you, but i did thought like you, then i decide to give it a try on XBLA just to see what the fuss was all about, and i realize that it is well deserve, it is a great game, but like i said this is not to persuate you to get it, because i understand it will be not for everybody tastes.

6. Da Man

I don’t play video games where you create levels etc. Aside from the Forge World =)

I hate level editors and mods.

7. _LarZen_

@6 Lacking the creative humnan genome eh? :P

8. minxamo

The game is a half-assed piece of shit, but at least it’s shown developers that you don’t need to create a grimdark edgy modern first person shooter to be successful.