Analyst expects Diablo III to sell 3.5 million units in 2012

Friday, 4th May 2012 21:33 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Stern Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia expects Actvision-Blizzard’s Q1 FY12 financial results, which will be reported on May 9, to be in line with street expectations and feels the firm’s Diablo III will be a potential catalyst for the firm’s stock pricing. Speaking in an industry note, Bhatia said with that even with Diablo III “releasing after a gap of 12 years,” it has the “potential to sell more than 4 million units life-time, including 3.5 million units this year.” The analyst noted Diablo II had sold 4 million units by August 2001 within 14 months of its release in June 2010.

Likely the game will sell extremely well, and we expect many people to call in sick to work come May 15.

1. endgame

It will. It will. One thing I know is that people are rich and stupid so they’ll buy an overpriced game anytime.

2. BULArmy

@1 I really want to play D3, because D2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes, it is pricey, but compared to hunting and motorosport, the other two of my hobbies, it is the cheapest.

Also Blizz games are not know for a good drop of price after some time and I want to play the game now.

Actually this is the only game I am expecting this year and after the appearant cancellation of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.2 I really don’t see any game that I can get excited. I am slowly getting out of the gaming with every passing year, for me it is not as fun when I started gaming 15 years ago so the the 55 Euro price tag I paid for the pre-order are well spent money in my book.

3. tatsujin

lol 4 million units life-time? … Marking this article just to laugh at it when it reaches a bigger unexpected number.

4. Emorium

@1 actually you’re the “stupid” one here for assuming your opinion is the only one that matters. just because you believe a certain game is not worth the hype or money doesn’t mean everyone else does. i played diablo 2 hundreds of hours and loved every second of it. if i can get a fraction of that from diablo 3 then it’s worth the money and NO ONE else but me can be the judge of that.

5. Strawb

@1: It’s not overpriced if the price matches the quality of the game. $60 for 15+ hours of entertainment is a pretty good deal.

@3: Oh yeah, laugh at them if the game does BETTER than expected. That’ll show them.

6. Hunam

@4 pot, kettle, you know the rest

7. absolutezero

It’ll sell far more than Torchlight 2 even though it does not deserve to.

Plus its got all those WoW passes to artificially boost its numbers to make it appear more popular than it actually is.

8. shogoz

im an analyst too and i say that diablo 3 will sell 2 copies within the first two days of it being released, so there.

9. DSB

10. Phoenixblight

11. Talkar

As always, don’t trust the analysts! StarCraft 2 was estimated to sell 7 million copies and sold 3 in the first month. Now 3 million copies for a PC exclusive is extremely good, but it is still less than ½ of what was estimated. Personally i think D3 will sell between 2-3 million copies in the first month. And my guess is just as good as any analyst x)

12. Sini

I bought the annual WoW pass with D3 being free with it, fuck blizzard, they rope me in again. I’ve never finished one, but for some reason own non pirated copies of all their games.
    ^ when moment of weakness happened

13. voxelman

Low balling it a bit isn’t he? Diablo II sold 4 million in it’s first year, and Diablo 3 will be far better advertised and have a global launch.

14. Kabby

I wish Blizzard wasn’t tied up with Activision. Giving those jerks money leaves a bitter taste in your mouth when supporting Blizzard products.

15. DSB

Yup, Diablo 2 was the fastest selling game ever at the time, and it broke 4 million within a year.

Considering that neither the internet, nor Blizzard, nor Blizzards marketing budgets have gotten any smaller since then, I think it’s pretty much assured that it’ll do at least as good as Starcraft 2.

At least barring anything totally unforseen.

@10 Say what now? Starcraft 2 sold almost exactly as many copies as Diablo 2.

16. endgame

You people don’t understand what you’re doing here. First. This is a PC game. You let those a**holes take 60 euros or even 60 dollars away from you and you’ll be creating a precedent. Now I know Call of Duty had the same day 1 selling price but that game’s target audience average IQ was 1000 smaller than this game’s target audience average IQ. Come on! Use the brains Luke! Use the brains! Now two. You all complained about Assassin’s Creed always on internet connection but you’re not complaining about Diablo’s. Why? And three. It looks to me as your characters will be stored online on only one regional server. Which means that if you want to play with people from another continent you will have to create a new character. This means less functionality, less choice. Still. You want to pay more for a game that offers less. Are you that desperate? I don’t know. But I’m going to stand by my principles. I’m never going to pay for overpriced stuff. It’s stupid and I don’t have that much money anyway.

17. Phoenixblight

Diablo 2 numbers sold that many it its first 12 months.

Starcraft 2 got 3 million in its first month.

Diablo 3 is a rated M game, always on internet and has less content than the last two diablo games combined. I haven’t seen a single promotion on the TV for it so it seems like they aren’t even backing it either where Starcraft 2 had a lot of TV spots.

18. GwynbleiddiuM

@endgame Every game these days are being sold for 59.99 USD or other currencies equivalents. Your argument based on the price point and intelligence level of diablo fans is completely invalid. All console games are being sold for 60USD/Euros on launch day, I don’t like it but it’s being sold anyway. Most triple A PC titles are also being sold with the same price.

You seem to be ignorant about the fact that Assassin’s Creed DRM was fucked up as fucked up can be, it was a singleplayer game with a multiplayer mode. Diablo 3 on the other hand does not use online connectivity for the sake of DRM and anti-piracy alone. The game functions online and it’s best played with others. there are only 3 regions US, EU and Asia, Yes you need different toons and this is a good reason to complain about but I still wouldn’t call anyone stupid because they like to play Diablo 3. Everyone here knows how I hate CoD yet never called those who wanna play it stupid.

In the end we play games to be entertained, if Diablo 3 entertains me which I am 110% positive it will, I’ll pay that 60% because I enjoy gaming as my main hobby and like many other I have been waiting for this game for over a decade now and I honestly don’t give a fuck how much it costs, I waited so long to give a damn. Same goes for any other games like CoD if it entertains its audience who are we to say otherwise? It has accomplished its goal, entertainment!

@17 erm, I duuno if it has less content if anything it’ll be as much Diablo 2 (without the expansion), and I’m sure Blizzard has long term plans for the game by expanding on the content the way they do it with WoW. And one more thing SC2 was an RTS, I’m not sure what I’m saying is correct or not but RTS has less fans compared to RPGs and Shooters, it has maybe more serious players and dominant on competitiveness level.

19. DSB

@17 “I’d be surprised if it didn’t sell 5 mil within the year.”

No one was talking about a week, I don’t really see why that’s relevant. Diablo 2 and Starcraft 2 both ended up just under 5 mil after a year, and both were some of the fastest selling titles of their time.

I fail to see how that makes Starcraft bigger than Diablo, given that it was barely able to go toe to toe with a game from 10 years ago.

As to whether Activision are going to back it with marketing, fuck knows, but given that they’ve supported their shitty Transformers games with countless tv spots, I would expect them to at least try to sell one of their biggest IPs.

I don’t think the M rating is going to do very much, and if being forced to use something as shoddy as Origin doesn’t stop people from buying EA games, then it’s gonna take a lot more than Battle.net to stop people from buying Diablo.

I reckon the only thing that’s likely to trip it up would be widely negative reviews. If it goes down to 80 or 70, that’s gonna make a difference.

20. Phoenixblight

You brought up the D2 versus Starcraft 2 where my information was based on the original Starcraft vs D1 and D2.

21. DSB

@20 Me:”I’d be surprised if it didn’t sell 5 mil within the year. The only thing that could fuck it up would be negative reviews across the board.”

You: “I honestly doubt it not even Starcraft 2 sold that much in the first month. That series is far more popular than the Diablo series.”

Me: “Say what now? Starcraft 2 sold almost exactly as many copies as Diablo 2.”

You: “Diablo 2 numbers sold that many it its first 12 months. Starcraft 2 got 3 million in its first month.”

I don’t see you mentioning the original Starcraft, or the original Diablo anywhere. You actually specified the sequels every time.

Seems to me like you just realized you didn’t really have a leg to stand on.

22. Phoenixblight

Yes Starcraft series is far more popular than the Diablo series go look it up.

You then compared Diablo 2 units sold compared to Starcraft 2 numbers.

23. DSB

Uhuh, that was pretty much the topic champ. Wake me up when those people can be bothered to buy the next installment in the series, would ya?