Blizzard hands out 100,000 Diablo III beta invites in the US

Saturday, 4th February 2012 13:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Have you checked whether you have a Dibalo III beta key languishing in your inbox lately? If not, you may wish to check, because Blizzard has sent out 100,000 more invites in North America. So, if a lovely Battle.net notice hasn’t arrived, be sure to log into your account just in case. However, be careful as well, because Blizzard has said with this large wave of invites, there could be an increase in the number of phishing attempts – so be sure the notice you receive in the mail is indeed from Blizzard before clicking on any links. More invites after this round will be handed out in the future.

1. GwynbleiddiuM

Bloody US, eh? What about us! We pay as much as the… huh? WAIT A MINUTE! We PAY even more than THEM! Is that how you treat non-American fan-base Blizzard? Is that it? No BETA keys for me? AGAIN?!

2. DarkElfa

@1, Dude, you should thank them for sparing you.

3. GwynbleiddiuM

And why is that?!

4. OrbitMonkey

^ Well this way you won’t get sucked into the whole “Oh noes Diablo III is broken” crap that is bound to come from the Beta…

You can wait and fully appreciate the finished product… Which will be shit ;-)

5. GwynbleiddiuM

^ I understand what a Beta test is, been to a lot of them and a great deal of them were closed betas. But as far as Diablo 3 is concerned I just can’t take it anymore. They don’t give us a release date, I’ve been waiting for the game as long as I can remember, even they redesigned the game half-way through development. And, during the beta they had to remove/change a lot of mechanics of the game and that was at the point were they said we’re almost done with the game. For crying out loud they even printed out the game’s user guide. Now I live in this constant terror that next day I might wake up, and they announce the game was pushed back into re-development phase. By Blizzard standards that can mean 3 more years waiting and I just can’t take that any more. I just don’t have it in me to wait any more.

6. OrbitMonkey

^ Well what you gonna do BUT wait? Play Dragon Age 2? :-D

Though that might not be a bad idea… Could help lower your expectations a little, cuz you sound a little too hyped, Y’know?

7. GwynbleiddiuM

LoL, You’re actually hell bent on Diablo 3 being a massive letdown, aren’t you?

Well, In this world I only believe in ONE thing, and that is Blizzard will never disappoint. While BioWare started disappointing me with Jade Empire, KOTOR II and NW2 a very long time ago and the redeemed some of their former reputation with Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins, they completely pissed on that by DA2. I can say without a doubt I never felt anymore disappointed after I played DA2.

Thankfully, I’m sure that Blizzard wont disappoint me because I know when they are unhappy with the initial output, they cancel it altogether. Just like they did it with Ghost, WarCraft Adventures and Diablo 3 (Yeah it was shoved back to re-development phase once).

8. jacobvandy

There’s really no big deal about the “beta” anyway, because it’s more like a brief demo. You only get to play the first chapter, which lasts about an hour, and that’s it. Most you could do is try out the first handful of skills for every class (level cap is 13) and scour the area for bugs. I did see one pretty obvious quest scripting error caused by what was apparently unanticipated behavior on my part, but I don’t care enough to report it, so meh.

Plays exactly the same as Diablo 2, but with slightly better graphics and real-time physics for some environmental destruction. I do like the crafting system, though.

9. DSB

Personally I think the spells are the best. You can’t really compare to any other hack and slash game. Just looking at the talent tree for the Witchdoctor was entertaining as hell to me.

I hope the actual build is more elaborate though. There’s pretty much no emotion or attempts at story in the “demo”, which is pretty much what has always kept Diablo on top for me at least.

Even when 2 came out it looked like shit, and the gameplay wasn’t exactly a revelation. I hope they go a lot further to establish the mood.