Three times a charm: Valve debunks Half-life 3 ARG talk

Tuesday, 13th December 2011 05:09 GMT By Brenna Hillier

In an email to a fan site, Valve has denied rampant speculation of a new AR game hidden in a VGAs video.

“There is no ARG at this time,” Marc Laidlaw told LambdaGeneration.

“Given the amazing concerted processing power of the community, if there had been, they would certainly have cracked it by now.”

Gamefront reports speculation was triggered by the code-like sequences of numbers and letters seen in Wheatley’s best character VGA acceptance video; you can watch it below.

Rumours of a promised Valve reveal of a third core game in a franchise added weight to the idea, but it looks like we can chalk this one up to wishful thinking.

Thanks, Blue.

1. back_up

Ep3 will be exclusive for PS4

2. polygem

^^^^NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Dare you!!!! Never say something like that again ;-)

3. BULArmy

@1 your trolling is not even funny.

I am not really sure that I want HL3 with the state of gaming right now. Health-regen, run and gun corridor gameplay, two weapons at once limitation. I have fate in Valve, but I think they will also go the way to to make the game more “accessible” to new fans and that scares me.

4. TheBlackHole

It’ll never live up the hype, sadly.

5. YoungZer0

Boy am i glad i never cared about the Half-Life Series at all.

6. KillerDD

No it won’t. Exactly the reason why they should do it now! I don’t want HL3 or EP3 to turn in to a Duke Nukem Forever…

7. Paladin_Rage

Nay. Surely they won’t do that. Maybe they’ll add shitload of DLC but I have faith, they won’t do something that awful. Still, if we would get episode 3 instead of Half Life 3 then it wouldn’t even be possible to happen. Sigh… Shame that this project is next Duke Nukem Forever in terms of hard development process…

8. Edo

Yeah…well we’ll see about that!

9. Moonwalker1982

Exactly what is ARG?

10. Edo

#9 Alternate Reality Game.