Epic’s Fortnite announced at VGAs – teaser released

Sunday, 11th December 2011 02:37 GMT By Staff

Cliff Bleszinski announced Epic’s latest title in the works tonight during the VGAs, called Fortnite.

The trailer shown had a cartoonish look to it, with Bleszinski saying it was about building and surviving. Very Minecraft-ish.

“We’ve had amazing success with games like Gears of War and Infinity Blade this year, but we decided it was time to switch things up a little bit and do something different and fun,” said Bleszinski during the VGA segment . “Imagine a world where you explore, you scavenge, you build and ultimately you survive.”

The game will contain various gameplay element which will change according to the time of day. Similar to Minecraft, daylight hours will focus on building your fortress with others in order to keep emenies at bay. Players will share resources as well.

At night, the undead come out, and the game will switch to a third-person perspective and you’ll start shooting zombies.

No date or platforms were announced, nor is there a publisher attached, at the moment. This will likely be remedied soon, especially now that the teaser trailer has been revealed.

Fortnite is just one of the five game Epic has in the works. Shots of it are here.

[Original story by Johnny Cullen, contributions by Stephany Nunneley]

1. WFMMK

Very disappointing, did not like what I saw at all.

2. Erthazus

Awesome. I like that they started to do something more than just brown third person shooters.

but at the same time i wanted Unreal tournament.

3. moargamezpleeze

Agreed. Not sure what the premise was there,a shopping trolley some monsters appearing out of the ground all in a cartoon style. Looked like a Download game.

4. LOLshock94

can someone send me a link

5. KAP

Sorry but gamers are simply the most hypercritical lot your ever gonna meet.
    If it gets too smart, we complain.
    If it becomes too new and refreshing, we get scared of change.
    So I’m just gonna congrats cliffy b on taking another new direction on a new IP when Bulletstorm didn’t do great.

This comment was bought to you by macaroni and cheese… You know you love it!

6. DSB

Haven’t seen it, but it sounds like an amazing concept to me.

The day someone makes a AAA-version of http://www.kongregate.com/games/sarahnorthway/rebuild-2 I’m gonna be their eternal fanboy.

7. albo88

i hate this Americans for fuck sake internet belong to all and games as well wtf is this region lock fuck u spike tv fuck YANKS

8. Mike W

@5 I agree with you, good for them for trying something new.

9. WFMMK

@KAP I liked Bulletstorm. I don’t like Gears but I was hoping for a serious game. This looks like a fun game to play for a few hours but to be honest I didn’t say the game was bad. I just said I was disappointed with what I saw of it.

10. LOLshock94

looks promising

11. WFMMK

Quick question why does this game look good and looks promising when it’s just another zombie game?

12. daytripper

@5 i think you have summed yourself up pretty well there.

13. strikkebil

ill keep an open mind…

14. KAP

A few hours? Have you never stopped to think that maybe exactly the intentions of this new title?
    A few good hours of mayhem!

I’m in.

15. WFMMK

@14 as in a few hours and then never touch it again.

16. SplatteredHouse

There’s nothing epic about that.
    “Very Minecraft-ish” You thought so, too? I just saw Epic stand up and announce that…

17. jacobvandy

What’s with the spelling you guys are using? GameTrailers and the video itself clearly say Fortnite…

18. Stephany Nunneley

Probably because I had conflicting reports until I watched the video again. Please keep in mind all these posts are works in progress until they are cleaned up, as is usual when there are big events and only two of us.