Keighley: Alan Wake XBLA is “effectively” Alan Wake 2

Monday, 5th December 2011 12:27 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Alan Wake’s debut on Xbox Live Arcade is more than you think, according to VGA boss and GameTrailers TV host Geoff Keighley, who’s said it’s “effectively” Alan Wake 2.

The digital title, rumoured to be subtitled Bright Falls, will debut at the Spike-hosted awards this weekend.

Keighley, speaking to Major Nelson on the subject of downloadable games, said it was an “ambitious” effort from Remedy.

“I’ve seen the game, seen the trailer we’re showing and even though it’s going to be a downloadable game, it’s not a small game,” said Keighley.

“It effectively is, I think, Alan Wake 2 when you really look at it and what they’re doing with that game. It’s really ambitious, beautiful technology and I think people are really going to be excited about it.”

The game will be, according to Remedy, “structured” as if it was a full retail release.

The VGAs happen this Saturday.

1. Rain

the first game while it was very nice. simply failed.forcing microsoft to release this effort as a download only title.

2. Malmer

Great news. Previous game was my second favorite game last year (after Mass Effect 2) and one of my absolute favorites this generation. Can’t wait for more. Very close to my heart this game. Might make me buy a Kinect, if that is required.

3. The_Red

I just hope it’s not some episodic game series when only first 2-3 episodes get released and after that fans will never see Wake again. Also as a huge fan of original game, I really hope this one does better and Alan returns to the realm of retail (Along with light).

4. Maximum Payne

I hope it sell well so maybe they release on Steam ^_^

5. JimFear-666

i dont believe anything from the goeff kieghley hype pr machine. Sorry.

6. xxJPRACERxx

I prefer my games on disc so I don’t have to deal with licenses and DRM.

7. The_Red

You do realize that disc games have DRM too (on PC)?

8. xxJPRACERxx

^I know that, but we’re talking a 360 game here.

9. linux.is.skynet

Does anybody realize what this means for us fans? Are you really so concerned about having a “disc”? This means that we get to enjoy “Alan Wake 2″ and Remedy won’t have to worry about piracy or second hand sales. I own two NEW copies of Alan Wake. One standard retail and one Limited Collector’s Edition. I had a hard time getting Half-Life 2 as a kid. I had to use a friend’s internet connection to activate and patch HL2 when I got it for Christmas… like a decade ago. If this isn’t as big as they say it is, I will be partially disappointed. I do question how they made a retail sized game in such a short time since the first one with them being a small developer. I hope it’s true!

10. jonastaylor

It’s not “effectively” Alan Wake 2. It’s either a sequel or its not. This is obviously just a DLC release that they’re trying to hype up.

As for being released digitally only, that’s a good move. I’ve been buying all my PC games through Steam for four years so it was about time that consoles caught up.

11. _LarZen_

I just loved Alan Wake, but I must say I would realy like it on a disc. Standing besides my Alan Wake CE….

Something nice about having a physical media.