Diablo III features around 15,000 lines of spoken dialogue

Tuesday, 1st November 2011 12:33 GMT By Stace Harman

BlizzCon 2011′s Sound Panel session offered a revealing look at the work that goes into aurally caressing your ear lobes

At BlizzCon 2011, Blizzard revealed that Diablo 3 will feature between 13,000 – 16,000 lines of dialogue, with each of the character classes weighing in at 1,200 lines each and a number of speaking roles for NPCs. By comparison, both StarCraft 2 and World of Warcraft featured around 3,000 lines of spoken dialogue.

Blizzard also talked of the more subtle use of acoustics through music and sound effects, for which the Diablo series has long been known and praised. To ensure that combat sounds remain fresh throughout all of that clicking you’ll be doing, Diablo 3′s character skills have been broken down into three component parts: a casting phase, an in-action loop and a final impact. Randomised effects will be applied to each of these phases to help increase the variety of sounds heard throughout the game.

The panel suggested that the first act of Diablo 3 will feature a homage to the orchestral melodies of Matt Uelmen, composer on Diablo 1 and 2, who left Blizzard in 2007.

Diablo III launches for PC and Mac next year, further coverage of this year’s BlizzCon event can be found elsewhere on the site.

Thanks, GameFront.

1. DarkElfa

This just screams of Blizzard doing anything they can to take buzz from STWOR.

“Hey, see, we have spoken dialogue in a game too!!”

2. viralshag

A couple hundred of the class lines are probably variations on “ah” “rawr” “ouch” and “arrrgh”.

Either way. I’ll be picking this up.

3. DSB

@1 If your counter to an MMORPG is a hack and slash, you’re in serious trouble.

As far as I can tell, this isn’t even a press release, but just a recap of a panel at Blizzcon.

And besides that, who the hell is impressed with how many lines of dialogue there is in a game?

“OMG I LOVE DIALOGUE, LEMME PLAY THIS!”

Personally I’ll take five brilliant lines over a million crap ones. It has to actually be good.

4. DarkElfa

@3, No, no, I’m not insisting that they’re attempting to compete with SWTOR with Diablo.

I’m insisting that their news release citing that Diablo has all this spoken dialogue right before SWTOR, famous for it’s amount of spoken dialogue and possibly the greatest single threat to Blizzard’s paycheck, WoW, is itself the point of competition.

Right now at Activision Blizzard, they are under attack on two fronts. They have EA and Dice assaulting them with BF# against their MW3 and on the other, with EA and Bioware getting ready to launch SWTOR. This is the point in the whole gig where Blizzard is going to try almost anything to stay on top.

This release is just a jab at SWTOR and an attempt to steal some thunder.

5. DSB

Well, I have no way of knowing how they handle their PR, but it doesn’t look like a press release to me, and more like Miozzis account of the panel disccusion.

I mean I’m sure that the reps hand out cheatsheets for all the amateur reporters who can’t be arsed to take notes, but I don’t think this would ever stand a chance in hell of affecting SWTOR even the slightest.

If they wanted to eclipse SWTOR, they could quite easily do that by releasing a Project Titan showcase. The internet would die a quick and painless death.

I also don’t think they’re all that worried. They still own the market, and even if SWTOR reaches a million users at launch, that still leaves Blizzard swimming in money, and comfortably owning the market.

6. DarkElfa

Well, no, I agree, this has almost zero chance of having any effect against SWTOR either, but it all seems a bit too coincidental to be coincidence.

As for the internet dying a quick and painless death, I’m failing to see a downside, lol.

7. DSB

Yeah, I guess you’re right. I’m sure they don’t mind comparing that to SWTOR.

8. revolting

So did you guys actually read the article, or is it easier to just spew forth knee-jerk reactions to article titles? The article quite clearly states that these were comments from a discussion panel at Blizzcon, not a current press release. That panel was specifically about discussing the audio elements of the game; sounds effects, musical scores and, yes, voice acting. What else did you expect an audio discussion panel to talk about? The price of hot dogs?

There isn’t always an ulterior motive to everything. Not everything is a contrived attempt to steal your wallet. Sometimes sound effects guys just want to talk about sound work, without it being part of some grand Machiavellian scheme.

I’m not saying Blizzard doesn’t habitually deploy strategic counter attacks when potential competition is about to release; hell, they do it all the time, and if anything, I’m surprised that there wasn’t a lot more of that kind of thing at this year’s Blizzcon.

But that’s not what this is. It’s just sound guys talking about their work.

9. viralshag

“There isn’t always an ulterior motive to everything. Not everything is a contrived attempt to steal your wallet.”

+ 1 billion.

10. DarkElfa

@8, I prefer to spew, it saves me time and yes I read it all. I also read between the lines, try it sometimes and don’t fanboy out.

11. OrbitMonkey

Project Titan? Wassat?

12. DSB

@11 Blizzards top-secret in-development MMO.

13. revolting

@10 And where exactly is the fanboying in my comment? Perhaps you should try reading the lines themselves before automatically looking between them for non-existent evidence for your preconceived assumption that there’s a conspiracy afoot, both in my comment and the original article.

You still seem to have entirely missed that this is not a press release from Blizzard, it’s VG247 linking to a late GamesFront post-Blizzcon report featuring some info from the sound and voice guys who, surprise surprise, talked about sound and voice, because sound and voice is their job.

Also, just FYI, Diablo 1 and 2 were also fully voiced. I guess in your little conspiracy-dreams, they were also pre-emptively just an attempt to steal ToR’s thunder over a decade ago?

For the record, yes I am looking forwards to Diablo III, but I am also leaving WoW for ToR, so your argument that I am a blind fanboy is entirely invalid.

But, whatever, no point arguing with someone who plays the “lol fanboy!” card in place of, you know, actual factual information.