Harrison Ford stars in Japanese Uncharted 3 commercials

Wednesday, 19th October 2011 17:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

It’s not unusual for famous Hollywood types to appear in commercials overseas, especially in Japan, and below the break you can see one with Harrison Ford hocking Uncharted 3.

The first one is the normal 15-second TV spot, and below it is an extended 30-second version. While both are in Japanese, there is also a video with Ford chatting about the game as he is playing it.

He notes how adventurous and cinematic the game is, calls the storytelling “visual,” and even drops the words “incredible” and “fantastic” in there as well.

You may want to skip the last video, as it may contain some visual spoilers for you, so view discretion is advised.

The commercial starring Ford is just one of the many ways Sony is going all-out on advertising for what it hopes will be one of the biggest games this holiday season.

Uncharted 3 is out November 1.

Thanks, D’toid.

1. Jet Black

0_o

Han Solo, Indiana Jones & Rick Deckard destroyed in one fell swoop…

2. Christopher Jack

I’ve noticed that non-gamers actually do act like that when they’ve gotten really hooked into a game. Whether he’s sincerely enjoying it or not, I can’t really tell but I assume that he doesn’t really give a flying fuck.

3. Gekidami

Ford should play Sully in the UC movie.

4. pha1r

What the?!! I don’t even…

5. HeavyD-Love

Hardly a “commercial”. More like a crappy home video..

6. Yoshi

I can never understand why marketing sectors advertise like this. No one talks like that while they’re playing! Unless maybe with friends “ohh wow so realistic.. the graphics.. ohhh… wooww” BOLLOCKS!

God I wish I was in charge of some marketing for Sony. I’d put Harrison saying stuff like “come on you f***er… s**t…. come on you son of a…” Now that’s more likely what people say :P

EDIT: I got to about 2mins of the last video and had to turn it off. That was just god awful… I thought this dude was an actor? XD

7. Razor

Mr Ford must be running out of money if he needs to do this.

8. YoungZer0

@7: And comments like this are the reasons why you’ll never see any Successful Actor doing commercials in America. Outside of it, you’ll see actors like John Malkovich and George Clooney doing ads for Coffee. Think they are desperate?

9. Yoshi

You said:’@6: Sorry to tell ya, but i actually know a lot of people who had a similar reaction when i was playing Uncharted 2. Especially older people.’

I said:’No one talks like that while they’re playing! Unless maybe with friends’

Might wanna read that again ;)

10. YoungZer0

@9: But i wasn’t playing with friends. ;) I demonstrated it to the parents of my girlfriend. Hardly my friends.

You think they would’ve payed him just to play it? Of course he should comment on his experience. I fail to see your actual point here.

11. Bellisner

I know it’s a Japanese promo and this may not have the same cultural relevance over there; but he missed a golden opportunity to shout “GET OFF MY PLANE”!

12. Stephany Nunneley

Could be worse:

or

13. freedoms_stain

Uncharted plays like the lovechild of Indiana Jones and Lara Croft, they get Indiana Jones in on the marketing, and he doesn’t mention Indiana Jones once.

Interesting.

14. Ireland Michael

I actually found this kinda charming.

I remember when I used to play games and got that sort of feeling. The whole “Wow, am I really doing this? That’s amazing” kind of vibe. Many of us are so jaded from the hobby that we often find it hard to appreciate just how spectacular and amazingly visual these experiences really are.

There are still plenty of people in the world to whom this sort of thing is still an entirely new experience. Gaming is cool, but it’s not the centre of universe people.

15. Christopher Jack

@14, I kinda mentioned that, just in a different way, many aspects of gaming has become mundane to many of us enthusiasts, we don’t get that OMGZZZ! feeling that we did when we were newer to the hobby.

I still remember tilting my body along with the controller while playing Road Rash on the Mega Drive, earliest memory I have of video games.

16. Yoshi

@10 Friends, family :P What ever. Yes the idea is he’s supposed to give feedback but he’s clearly talking dribble.

@12 I hope you aren’t insisting the Ichiban advert was bad? :P