DICE feels it’s “Mission Accomplished” despite a challenging Beta

Monday, 17th October 2011 22:36 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Despite a wave of criticism for the old code deployed in the Battlefield 3 multiplayer beta, DICE considers the testing a roaring success.

Speaking to IGN at an EA event, creative director Lars Gustavsson spoke about what the studio has gained after conducting the now-complete multiplayer beta for Battlefield 3.

“Looking at the open beta, for us at DICE it’s truly been a huge success,” said Gustavsson. “We could have been better in how we messaged this to the community, what we were doing and why it’s not as polished as a final demo but there is a reason we called it a beta and not a demo.”

He went on to say that in spite of the problems that the beta faced, it was “mission accomplished” for the studio as they managed to fix them in the end, ensuring a better final product for everyone to enjoy.

“This test was done so we would get as many eyes as possible on the game code to ensure a good release, and that means hammering the back end, seeing that the servers hold up, making sure we get all the telemetry we need, that all the hooks are working and also getting a good first take on the balancing of the game. What is the score progression? How are people doing?

“But of course also Origin and Battlelog, all of these things that we need to get ready for the final ship. So for us it’s been really useful and I would really say mission accomplished. Once again, yes, there is a vocal community out there but I wouldn’t like to have it any other way. It’s dedication and passion when people speak up and there’s nothing wrong with passion.”

Gustavsson then talked about split-screen multiplayer , and why it hasn’t implemented it in any Battlefield game to date, especially while other high-profile FPS competitors like Call of Duty and Halo have been including it for a long time.

“Overall I would say I love splitscreen,” he admitted. “Maybe at some point we’ll do it but we have a new engine, and usually the best recipe for ruining a project is trying to do everything. We’d rather deliver a really good gaming experience and then look forward.

“I think, for example, our co-op is really solid so it doesn’t feel like it’s missing the split-screen and therefore I think that we’re coming out with a really strong game, and that’s number one. Then we can look down the road and see what’s up next.”

IGN then quizzed him about any incentives which might compel players to beat the single-player campaign of the title more than once.

“Overall we definitely put a lot of love and passion into our single-player campaign,” he said. “As a studio we’re still quite young in making single-player games; it’s not until Bad Company 1 that we started to do this and we’ve come a long way I would say. We’re extremely proud of the single-player campaign.

“There is, of course, the possibility of replaying difficulties and so on but we haven’t added any extra carrots to keep you in there. We think the package of single-player, co-op experience and multiplayer is a really good start.”

When asked to state the one thing about Battlefield 3 which will make gamers go crazy, Gustavsson said making them have a look at Caspian Border should do the trick.

“If there’s someone who’s never played Battlefield before, then we’d definitely load up a level like Caspian Border, have them sit down and look at the mayhem of a 64-player server,” grinned Gustavsson.

“Jets, tanks, everything going on; it still gives me goosebumps when I see it. I think it’s something that very unique for Battlefield, in combination with destruction and so on, and it’s something I’m still very proud of, being able to deliver.”

Battlefield 3 releases on October 25 in US, and October 28 in UK for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

1. xavdeman

“DICE considers the testing a roaring success.” This was a triumph…

2. GrimRita

There was certainly a roar. If it was a success, only time will tell when its released soon

3. manamana

I’ll get me a dozen Red-Bull’s for the first weekend. Cant. Wait.

4. Talkar

It may have been a roaring success. But now i ask you a very important, fundamental, yet easily forgotten question that needs to be asked and answered to truly know if something is great. Will there be cake?!

5. OrbitMonkey

Stop selling me the Caspian Border 64 player bullshit, when i’m using a ps3 which will have the player cap at what? 24? An advert using ONLY console footage would be nice too. Just saying.

6. Stardog

It’s not a success, because they just lost me as a customer.

Remove Origin and Battlelog server joining and I’ll buy it.

7. Ireland Michael

As one of my friends politely put ir#t when I discussed the whole subject of people cancelling their pre-orders because of the beta…

“Less idiots for us to play against.”

8. OrbitMonkey

^ They sound smart… Labelling people with different opinions as idiots.

Though i can see their point. Why use the BETA as a point of reference for forming a opinion of the whole game? Just have blind faith that it’ll be FANTASTIC… Thats far more intelligent.

9. Ireland Michael

@8 I don’t label people with different opinions as idiots. I label people with stupid, ignorant and self-serving opinions as idiots.

10. OrbitMonkey

^ So basically anyone who disagree’s with you? That kinda sounds ignorant, self-serving and stupid.

11. DarkElfa

^Ha!

12. gsxrlove

P$N PA$$ is $ucce$$.

13. strikkebil

i wanna see more console footage before i put down money on this game. beta had a nice feel to it, but too much bugs and graphical problems.

14. Ireland Michael

@10 No, just anyone who disagrees with me using weak logic, poor arguments, or any number of fallacies that don’t stand up under scrutiny.

If someone can make a solid argument while still having a different opinion, that’s great.

15. DSB

Put it on Steam, and I’ll give you money.

Kthx, bai!

16. viralshag

I WANT TO SEE A DEMO OF THE BETA CAKE WITH LOTS OF BAKING FOOTAGE AND NO BUGS IN THE END DEMO FOR MY RELEASE CLIENT. THX

17. endgame

monkey u’re getting a little bit owned here. :) u simply don’t understand that ppl who don’t like BF3 r losers. it’s really easy. I mean what else r u when u reject reality!?

18. YoungZer0

Monkey i expected more from you. Irelands argument actually makes sense and has nothing to do with opinions. Your ignorance and trying to change the argument doesn’t help here.

If you judge a game on a BETA Version, then you’re stupid. Not a matter of opinions.

19. triggerhappy

Wow, theres more fighting going on in the BF threads than in the actual game.