RAGE: Tearing and texture issues can possibly be fixed with updated AMD and Nvidia drivers

Thursday, 6th October 2011 18:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bethesda has put up a list of things which could help those running into screen tearing and texture issues when playing RAGE on PC.

According to the post on the Bethblog, a lot of times these problems can be remedied by fixing driver issues, and id Software is working with AMD and Nvidia to resolve problems as quickly as possible.

Users with the aforementioned cards should do the following:

• AMD users need to update to the most recent RAGE Catalyst driver. Grab it here.
  • Nvidia users should try updating RAGE to the current beta driver. When this driver is updated, a notice will appear on the Bethblog.
  • Check the forums for solutions that can improve reported issues with screen tearing, blurry textures, and texture pop up.

id is currently working on an update which will allow users to more easily make configuration changes. Details on this will be announced “shortly”.

1. _LarZen_

It’s kinda embarising that a company like id Software dont test their product better up against gfx cards and drivers before releasing it.

Not everyone want to use beta drivers either, they are beta drivers for a reason.

2. DSB

Yup, pretty miffed that I couldn’t get a refund.

It’s pathetic to put out a game with that ammount of day one patches required, and still not have a working product unless people go out of their way to fix it.

3. Edo

Yes,I know it’s crazy and madness and everything but I still use Windows XP and I don’t see any Windows XP driver,not cool,seriously …not cool!

4. Phoenixblight

Not sure what you are talking about patches. I installed the game directly through the disk and didn’t get a patch. I did however after installation get a long ass verification process from steam making sure I have all correct files. The game is supposed to be 21 GBs and that’s exactly what I have. Maybe you have the verification process mixed up with the patches? I just looked at the Patch history and there is nada.

How much of a PC gamer are you? I mean really? You can’t go beyond DX9 and most of the GPU manufactures have moved beyond WinXP. If my PC only had WinXP, I would just be picking up the console version because that’s practically the version you will be playing with the settings on the PC.

5. DSB

@4 Funny.

I preloaded the game (all 21 GBs worth) on Friday and after decrypting the files, I was hit with first a 7 GB patch, then a 1.2 GB patch, followed by a 999 MB patch.

6. Phoenixblight

I am just calling it like I see it. Says on Steam, 21.6GB, there have been no patches from ID so far. They are currently working on the patch that will fix what everyone has been asking for like the ability to mess with setting and override the games auto-detection.

7. Edo

#4 Oh come on dude,surely you don’t mean that,the fact that I still use WINDOWS XP doesn’t make me a PC gamer!?Am I embarrassing your elitist ass by simply mentioning WINDOWS XP!?I’m sorry my pathetic WINDOWS XP isn’t worth your time, but 99 % of the PC games are still made for WINDOWS XP ,and people still use WINDOWS XP cause it is more accessible for gaming purposes .And also,WINDOWS XP!!!

8. xxJPRACERxx

@5 I preloaded the game as well and after decrypting it was ready to play, no more download.

9. DSB

@8 Great. I guess they rolled those out just for me then.

10. Phoenixblight

I am not an elitist infact the opposite but the game supports WIndows XP. The GPU manufacturers do not. Thats not ID’s fault that’s Nvidia and ATI.

11. triggerhappy

Anyone annoyed that you can’t holster your weapon?? Am I the only one this bothers?

12. Phoenixblight

Just press 1(fists) and called it a day?

13. triggerhappy

^ Who walks about with their fists held up like that though, c’mon LOL :D

14. Phoenixblight

Who Doesn’t? I do it all the time. :D I didn’t honestly think about sheathing my weapon, don’t think you could in Crysis 2 or other FP. Only one I can think off the top of my head is Fallout 3 and Fallout: NV.

15. Gekidami

^ Having your character stick a gun in the face of everyone he talks to, in a safe area like a town is a bit silly.

16. triggerhappy

Yeh it’s the whole hub-world/RPG’ness of the game that cries out for a holster weapon option. Ive just spent 5 weeks with Deus Ex HR so mabey that’s why i feel the need to do it, but it is a bit silly when your walking about town gun at the ready for no apparent reason.

17. Phoenixblight

But you don’t, you point the gun away from the NPC. This game isn’t an RPG, its exactly what you should expect from ID, a linear FPS. This game gives you 15 hours where most standard FPS give you 5 hours. THis is ID they are using the same formula they have since Doom the only difference is the graphics.

18. OwnedWhenStoned

Does anyone know if the update / patch will fix the key binding issues?

Not being able to bind Enter or the keypad keys is a huge pain in the ass.

19. Edo

#18 Are you for real!?That’s your biggest problem with this game!?

20. OwnedWhenStoned

#19 – Did I say that it was my only problem with it? Even if they fix the graphical problems, the game will be pretty unplayable for me if they don’t fix this.