RAGE: Willits explains why PS3 has an 8GB install, why 360 has multiple discs

Saturday, 24th September 2011 19:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

During a chat with Digital Foundry regarding design, dev culture, and tech, creative director of id Software Tim Willits explained why there would be an 8GB install of RAGE on PS3, and why the Xbox 360 version comes on three discs.

According to Willits, the large install on PS3 is to cut down on texture loads.

“Sony was great. Kudos to Sony for letting us do that. They don’t allow every game to do that. So definitely, hats off,” he said. “What we were able to do is install all the textures to the highest level. What is nice about the PS3 platform is that it’s just one platform. Everyone has one Blu-ray drive, one hard drive, it’s all the same. Some of the other systems you have… should I install it on my 360? Should I not install it? So yes, it’s very nice.

“[On 360], we recommend installing the game to the hard drive, but you don’t need to install all three discs. If you don’t have the space available on your hard drive, don’t stress. Install the first disc, the first chapter, the first half of the game, then when you’re done, uninstall and install disc two.”

Willits explained that on 360, there isn’t specific cut-off where you will need to swap discs, as you “can go back if you want to but there’s really no reason to.”

“You don’t really need to install the multiplayer disc if you’re really tight on hard disk space,” he said.

As far as using the game’s tech for the future, Willitis said id is prepared for it, and since the engine scales up, it will be “easy-peasy,” to implement in next-gen consoles.

“We’ll be using parts of this tech for decades,” he said.

RAGE is out the first part of October on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. KAP

Wow.. That’s long. So there expecting users to install then uninstall each disc? Three times?!
    So glad for my 250Gb slim PS3 now.

2. Phoenixblight

You don’t have to uninstall, its only for those that don’t have HD space. Same had to be done for X360 users with Mass Effect 2 and FFXIII.

3. Ireland Michael

The process between the two consoles is completely different.

On the PS3, what you’re getting is an “install” in the most literally sense of the word. Something put on the hardcore to run the game.

The “installs” on the 360 are just straight copies of the data stored on the DVD, with the added bonus of slightly faster seek times.

There’s obvious benefits and downsides to each.

4. Gekidami

There being ‘no real reason to go back’ doesnt sound to promising.

5. Phoenixblight

Just like FFXIII and Mass Effect 2 there was no reason to go back on the disc. The story moves on.

6. viralshag

I have to say RAGE looks and plays pretty amazingly on the 360. I was very impressed. I think regardless of what you get it on you won’t be let down by the visuals.

My only issue was that the short time I played it, it did feel like “just another shooter”. But like I said, it was a short time so I’m not going to write it off just because of that.

7. Edo

The PC version is 25 GB big,which is somewhat of a record for a PC game if I’m not mistaken.

8. Phoenixblight

Well The PS3 version is just as big and so is the 360 version. Also with the PC version you get Higher resolution textures, level editor and various other goodies.

9. darksied

That’s pretty freakin’ big. I was surprised (but not that much) when the Witcher 2 was about 16 gigs to download from amazon, 15 installed. 25gb is crazy [good].

10. Erthazus

@7, 25GB is not a record.

Age of Conan for example is 32 Gb and there are games that have even more GB.

25GB is a piece of cake for installing. It all depends on the installer. Some games with 500 mb can install more than games with 10-15 GB.

11. Maximum Payne

@10 Yea but Age of Conan is MMO :)
    AvP 2010 is 15gb I think similar size is Witcher 2.

12. frostquake

So does anyone know, which Console (Don’t include the PC, as I know that is already the best) Rage will look best on? PS3 or 360? Texture tears, Collision Detection, Load Times and such?

Swapping Discs and Installs aren’t a factor for me, as I don’t care, just want the best. Was there a Lead Console? Why don’t you interviewers ever ask which was the “lead console”?

13. Bluebird

Wait until a week after its release and you will find plenty of analyses and opinions. ;)

14. Edo

#11 Exactly,I was not counting MMO games,and The Witcher 2 is 16,3 GB big,and I wonder how big will the Update 2.0 be…

15. jnms

16. Phoenixblight

THe lead console was the 360, the 360 has gotten more praise for what it can do where the Ps3 has had some issues. Carmack said they will both perform about the same by the time he is done. I am just going off of what he has said ever since the game was announced.

17. DaMan

Skipping this without a doubt. Looks like it’s going to be an unimaginative, boring eye candy. After Fallout’s nuking Megaton and Ghoul assault on Tenpenny Tower it’s just unnecessary.

18. NiceFellow

@16 that’s actually incorrect. The engine was designed to allow sharing of assets and build on a PC. There is no lead platform and I have never seen Id say the 360 is the lead.

Id have stated that the GPU in 360 is easier to use (known fact) and that the unified memory is easier to design around (also known fact). They have also stated the CPU in the PS3 is more powerful (another known fact) and that BR capacity combined with all PS3′s having an HDD made it easier to handle the “mega texture” elements of the engine design.

Basically, given the way the engine works you want this game installed on your HDD. On PC that’s a given and on PS3 it’s a given the textures will be installed. On 360 you can run off the disks by Id have made it clear by their statements their not advising that. Anyone playing on 360 should clearly install too.

I am totally unaware of a lead platform unless you count it as PC where the assets are no doubt generated and shared to other platforms.

19. Phoenixblight

I used the wrong wording. I am not talking about lead as in one that was focused on and then all the other platforms are ports from that platform. I am talking Lead as in ahead of, in this case PS3 vs 360. I have been following most if not all of what Carmack has said about the engine and he has praised the 360 for what it could do than the Ps3. Even at one point Carmack had said that the PS3 would only be able to do 30FPS and then later stated he found a way to get 60FPS.

20. sennasnit

yes, he said that in 2009.

21. Henry

I am not quite good in English. Would someone clarify for me?

Digital Foundry: So there's a specific cut-off in the story? There's no need to disc-swap after passing that point?
    Tim Willits: No, you can go back if you want to but there's really no reason to.

Willits’ “No” means
    1. No, there is no specific cut-off, you can go back, so you need to swap disc, or
    2. No, there is no need to swap discs.

Which one does he mean?

22. DrDamn

Bit of both. :). You don’t need to, but you might want to. If so you can. Seems the implication is that you likely wouldn’t want to though.

23. fearmonkey

Looking forward to this, but wont pick it up at launch.

24. Henry

So I guess that means:

Yes, you need to swap disc (if you go back).
    But since there is no need to go back, there is virtually no need to swap disc.

Right?