Minecraft’s block-carrying Endermen: “A horrible idea”

Wednesday, 21st September 2011 05:05 GMT By Jessica Citizen

Those scary new Endermen that were only just introduced to Minecraft have already had their powers turned down a notch (ha. Geddit?), which shouldn’t make them less terrifying, but will make them less annoying. Subtle difference, that – but a crucial one.

“By the way, I will nerf the endermen block carrying. It was a horrible idea.” So tweets Notch, who – let’s face it – really is the only person who can say these things.

The Endermen, introduced as part of the recent, massive 1.8 update, only come out at night, and were created to remove some of the player’s “sense of control” in the game. It looks like they had a little too much control, however – their pesky block-removing habit leaving unsightly holes in player-constructed designs.

We’re guessing the feature – but not the mob – will be amended in the upcoming 1.9 update.

1. Demiath

Oh, so that’s what those scary-looking fellows do. During my brief time with 1.8 I have only seen them in the far distance, looking greedily at my constructions. Might have to hide in a whole somewhere and wait for the patch.

2. XaosWolf

They’re more terrifying than that. If you meet their eyes, they freeze, and if you then look away, they pretty much warp towards you to attack. D=

(Or so I’ve heard. I flee’d as soon as I spotted one)

3. Gekidami

Meh, spiders are still the worst enemy seeing as they can climb anything. Endermen are a bit dumb IMO, i mean, an enemy that only attacks if you look straight at them? Just dont place your cross-hair on them and they’re about as dangerous as sheep.

On a related note, is it just me, or ever since this patch can enemies spawn pretty much anywhere now as long as its not a paved in something like cobblestone? Seems torches arent enough to stop them any more.

4. Yoshi

@3 Yeh it seems that’s happening to a couple people. Most likely be toned down in the next update.

5. UKTomm

In my experience, the Endermen aren’t bad. They’ve never done damage to any of my constructions and only move blocks from the environment – never any blocks that I’ve placed.

6. Old MacDonald

3: “Just dont place your cross-hair on them and they’re about as dangerous as sheep.”

I like that about them. They’re interesting, because they’re not really an enemy until you either attack or accidentally looks at one. I don’t think that everything that pops up at night should attack on sight.

Besides, I’ve managed to screw up and have them attack me several times. It’s a lot scarier than having a regular mob attack you.