THQ announces Crytek as Homefront sequel developer

Tuesday, 20th September 2011 13:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Megaton. THQ’s announced this afternoon that Crytek will be handling development for the next Homefront.

The game will be out on consoles and PC within THQ’s FY2014, meaning a release between April 2013 and March 2014. That’s probably code for “next-gen.”

It isn’t clarified which arm of Crytek is handling development in the press release, but there’s lots of unconfirmed reports going around Twitter at the time of writing it’s Crytek UK, the studio formally known as Free Radical.

Either way, Mr. Bilson is quite happy to announce such a big partnership with the German company.

“Selecting Crytek to take Homefront forward underscores our strategy of working with the industry’s best talent,” said THQ’s EVP of core games.

“Homefront’s unique setting and storyline captivated gamers the world over. With Crytek’s industry leading technology and legendary experience in the FPS genre, we’re supremely confident that the next Homefront will deliver that AAA-quality experience that players demand.”

“We see Homefront as a really strong universe that has a lot of potential and that has been expertly created and marketed by THQ,” added Crytek boss Cevat Yerli.

“We believe that bringing our level of quality, creativity and production values to the next Homefront title, creates an opportunity for both THQ and Crytek to deliver a truly blockbuster game. It’s really important to us that THQ has the faith in giving us a lot of creative freedom over one of its most important properties to allow us to bring the Homefront world to life in a new and innovative way.”

The first Homefront released earlier this year for PS3, 360 and PC with first-week sales of 1 million and 2.4 million copies shipped. But THQ decided in June to close developer Kaos .

It was originally announced that future development on the series would be handled at its new Montreal studio.

1. StolenGlory

This is interesting.

Moreso because it’ll be a next-gen console effort to by the looks of it and with Crytek behind the helm, we should see some impressive stuff here.

Not to mention the fact that I didn’t mind the premise of Homefront, even though the game itself was a pile of cackwank.

2. cgalla2000

I get the feeling that Crytek UK might be on this one…As in Free Radical.

3. YoungZer0

Homefront Europe please. Where american forces overrun us poor europeans. Otherwise i’m not interested.

4. StolenGlory

Dammit don’t say that! They should be directing their energies to bring that ‘other’ FPS property back into the limelight :)

5. Talkar

I’m surely going to want to follow this, as it seems very interesting too me. Homefront doesn’t really seem like a game Crytek would make, based on their track record, but they have the potential to make this series great!

6. Thalius

Homefront did well enough to deserve a sequel?? I thought the game bombed cos it sucked…

7. UKTomm

I have to agree with Talkar. I never expected this because, well, it’s not a game I thought Crytek would be interested in.

Will certainly be interesting if they go down the CryEngine route. Definitely something to follow.

8. Christopher Jack

I reckon that’s a good idea.

9. Maximum Payne

This is HUGE news!
    @6 Actually it sold 1.5 mill unit
    And I find interesting how EA let this happened ?

10. The_Red

Wow, this is really shocking. Hopefully this doesn’t mean Free Radical has to stop working on TimeSplitters 4 and instead focus on another military shooter like this.

11. Patrick Garratt

It’s Crytek UK, apparently – http://twitter.com/#!/MrJonty/status/116132008731746304

12. loki

Mega…. fail for crytek. What next ? Duke Nukem forefer 2

13. NeoSquall

The worst part of the first Homefront was the Engine, I hope that Crytek will come out with something better.

14. Maximum Payne

@13 I think it would be lucky guess but maybe just maybe Cry engine 3 ?

15. DSB

So, what are Crytek thinking?

16. Erthazus

I don’t know. Can’t they do it’s own thing like Epic Games?

17. Schindet Nemo

MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY

18. blackdreamhunk

the next home front would be cool or sure.

19. YoungZer0

@16: Seriously. They are not winning any creativity awards with this.

20. Christopher Jack

@16, No, haven’t you payed attention to THQ’s latest plans? It’s only AAA from here on out from these guys & if their own studios make it, then they won’t last very long.

It’s this new market killing the average studio, only the AAA or the little guys can make it now so expect the larger guys to take less risks while the little guys make all the unique games.

Expect many of next gens greatest coming from today’s smallest, I really want to see the indie market evolve to the point that 90% of these little games are no longer restricted to 2D side scrollers and the like.

21. Ireland Michael

It’s pretty sad that the only way any company can survive nowadays is by making Call of Duty rip-offs.

22. NeoSquall

@14 I hope so.

23. Johnny Cullen

With all of its flaws – and there were some serious major gaping ones – Homefront’s story arc with the North Koreans is still the big banana here and one I am seriously interested in. And I don’t like bananas, so that’s saying something.

24. blackdreamhunk

hey wait you people are talking about the shooter home front lol for some reason I was thinking it was a space sim.

25. Maximum Payne

@24 Homeworld ?

26. DSB

Homeworld is only ten times better. And needs to come back.

@21 To be fair, the opposite seems to be true. THQ are headed for bankruptcy within a year unless they do something drastic, and Kaos Studios are dead and gone.

I think its far too embedded to be challenged at this point.

@23 Why, Johnny Cullen? I could maybe understand a tongue-in-cheek, sort of comic book ironic plot with North Korea as the main protagonist, but a pompous, cheap war-drama that’s meant to be believeable?

They couldn’t even put up a fight without the Chinese back in the 50′s, and they’re in a lot worse shape today. They’re so poor, the regime actually turns off all lights in the country at night to save money.

It would make a lot more sense to have the US invaded by Finland or Serbia.

27. Ireland Michael

@26 But DSB, if you use Serbia or Finland, you don’t have a wealth of tack, cheap, unoriginal shock imagery to tap into!

That would require people to… *shock*… use their imagination!

It’s much easier to just use a generic stereotype like Korea.

28. DSB

@27 I don’t know dude, Finnish people are pretty scary, even in peacetime.

As far as I know they still use swastikas in their airforce. SWASTIKAS, man!

Top Gun was supposed to use North Koreans as the enemy force, but even Tony Scott felt it was better to keep them unidentified.

And serbs, well…

29. Christopher Jack

Like to see Australians as the Antagonists xD
    Think about it, we shifty bastards are so far away from any other developed country, we must be up to something :P
    I mean, we’re relatively wealthy, we definitely have the right minerals to launch our own nuclear research programs but I think that our biggest problem is our relatively sparse population.

30. IL DUCE

First of all, @21 pretty sure CoD essentially started out as a Medal of Honor rip off so…its a rip off of a rip off like everything else these days…nothing new here…and DSB’s response is spot on

Second of all, @13 come on dude…I don’t even have to repeat what everyone else said, but you do realize its CRYTEK they created CRYENGINE 3…

@9 Pretty sure EA had no say in the matter…

Also, everyone needs to cool it with the flaws and how cruddy Homefront was…Crytek is likely building the next one from the ground up and basically scrapping everything except some story…even the quote from says he hopes THQ will let them have creative freedom with the IP…I would like to see an open world Homefront, maybe co-op squad based campaign (doubt it though)…but I trust Crytek and I think it will surprise a lot of people for being so much better than the original…

31. Takeshi

Fuck you, THQ. I bought Homefront on Steam and it still works like shit. It stutters just like Black Ops the difference being Black Ops was actually fixed eventually. Ain’t no goddamn way I am going to put out money for the sequel if this is how you manage your business.

32. Christopher Jack

@31, Have you even tried getting technical support? There’s often a quick fix to these problems although it could be an issue with a certain component on your rig. Borderlands keeps crashing on my desktop with a Radeon 5670 but runs smoothly(on low) on my laptop with Intel HD graphics.

33. Fin

lol u mad bro?

Also, why would anyone have actually bought Homefront? Every single review I read was a “meh” or “nah”.

34. blackdreamhunk

game devs going bankuprt is because of all them consoles!

35. Christopher Jack

@34, Take off that tinfoil hat.

36. Phoenixblight

Don’t fuel the troll. THen it becomes him pulling “facts” out about developers going bankrupt and it having no consequence of going to the PC other than the developer making games for the console.

37. xino

what a piss take!
    They closed down the other studio and approved Crytek to take over for the sequel.

I don’t like Cryteks games man, all they ever focus on is GRAPHICS!
    There’s no character development or deep story tot he game. All they focus on is narrative story!

farking hell man

38. Phoenixblight

Because clearly the original studio knew what the hell they were doing right? ~_~

Grow up. This industry is separated from the haves and the have nots and the original studio were the have nots.

39. DSB

@29 Yeah! And what about Legoland? Lego has more money and infrastructure than North Korea.

They already have an army of animatronic robots, they have pirate boats that’ll get them to the US, they have Tiny Towns depicting real world locations in which to train urban warfare tactics, and I’m sure that with a bit of tinkering, the palmtrees in pirate land would make for great ballistic missiles.

“Freedom….. Just got BLOCKED”

Written by John (TM) Milius (TM), (TM), all rights reserved.

40. UKTomm

Crytek are a bit of a graphics whore though.

41. Christopher Jack

Really hope that North Korean politicians grow a fucking brain & drop this ‘military first’ attitude they have, it’s all about greed so the average Joe is forced to suffer or be forced to join the army while the guys at the top top enjoy the high life.

42. DSB

The same can be said for the US though. For a lot of people, joining the military is just the price you pay for an education. Or the only way you’re ever going to see Europe or Asia.

I’ve been to a Vietnam war memorial in Alabama, and it was pretty depressing to see that most of the dead came from the ghettos.

There’s absolutely no chance of North Korea ever changing though. It’s a psychotic regime run by psychotic people. It’s interesting to explore just how sick they are, though.

Most balls of anyone, ever.

43. xino

don’t tell me to grow up you f*king prick!

44. Phoenixblight

Hahah Thanks for proving my point.

45. Lewis247

Right ok now I’m interested. Couldn’t care less about the first one. Nice concept but horrible execution. Very bland, unimaginative fps.

This however will be great already. Even if it will be just for how good it looks but in all honesty it will be a much better experience than the first. Can’t wait to hear more.

46. Christopher Jack

@43, Abusing somebody because he called out your ignorance isn’t very mature.

47. xino

I see you left your mom in the car and began your trolling without her.

Man Pat really needs to ban you trolls that constantly pollute this website!

He won’t ban a asshole prick like you because you have been posting your usual bullsh* since this site got lifted day 1.

I’m just tired of coming to this site, you can’t even make a simple comment without some fucking dickhead like the 2 above directly attacking you for no reasons at all.

No wonder why visitors don’t comment, and the comment section always consist of the same freaking trolls constantly polluting this site!

Well it’s up to Pat if he wants this place to be more mature and get rid of the trolls or allow this place to be run by trolls and idiots.

I’ll rather take whatever bullsh* gets posted on N4G than sh* on this site. Which shows just how bad this site is.

48. Christopher Jack

You’re the only one trolling. Geez, get over yourself you childish elitist, I suggest you read your own writing, no one else here is swearing at each other. Seriously man, stop taking peoples comments so personally, save yourself from an early stomach ulcer.

49. cgalla2000

Crytek UK? Called it :D

50. Erthazus

I wish Crytek could return to the point where they will make game right like it was with first Crysis or first Far Cry.

Doing a franchise for some independent studio like Crytek is hurting them IMO. Yes, they will get their money back eventually… but they can loose their reputation.
    Unless they are happy to make a sequel for that abomination that Kaos Studio made before with interesting idea.

51. chriswhaaat