Atlus confirms Persona 5 development ramping up

Wednesday, 31st August 2011 01:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

After an extended period of dormancy, Atlus is ready to get moving on the long-anticipated Persona 5.

Andriasang reports the new title was mentioned briefly in the same issue of Famitsu as the Persona 4 news blowout.

Development is said to be in the very early stages, and regular Persona Team staffers return: director Katsura Hashino, character designer Shigenori Soejima and composer Shouji Meguro.

The game is also being made with a new engine, according to the magazine.

Atlus was said to be working on the fifth entry in the series as early as March 2010, with details of the game’s protagonist surfacing a few weeks later, but in the meantime, Persona Team switched focus to spin-off puzzler Catherine.

The last core entry, Persona 4, released for PS2 in 2009, and has gone on to spawn an anime series and manga, as well as today’s newly-announced Vita remake.

1. ultramega

=D
    =D
    =D

2. HighWindXIX

Please be on PS3. Thank you.

3. Lemonoid

…and Xbox 360!

4. Clupula

@2 – well, it’s pretty much guaranteed that it’ll be on PS3. I’d PREFER it remain PS3 exclusive, honestly, but with Atlus wanting that extra 25% the 360 audience gives them (Catherine sales were pretty much 3/4 – PS3, 1/4 – 360), I don’t think they’ll keep it exclusive.

5. Ireland Michael

@4 Why the hell *should* it remain a PS3 exclusive? There is absolutely nothing about the game that releasing it on more than one format would limit it in any way.

Especially now that they know that there’s a 360 audience interested in their games, keeping it limited to one format would be just stupid.

6. YoungZer0

@5: He said “Please be on PS3″, he didn’t say “Please let it be exclusively on PS3″.

Also: It can’t REMAIN a PS3 Exclusive since there isn’t one Persona Game on PS3.

7. Ireland Michael

@6 “@5: He said “Please be on PS3″, he didn’t say “Please let it be exclusively on PS3″”

Read again.

“I’d PREFER it remain PS3 exclusive, honestly.”

8. YoungZer0

@7: Fuck, thought you reply on the comment made by #2. My bad, i apologize.

9. Moonwalker1982

I’ve never played these games, but they are RPGs, right? I am always interested in RPGs as long as they don’t contain turn-based battles, which i believe Persona has…right?

10. YoungZer0

@9: Yes, on both questions. I’m not really a fan of RPG’s, neither of Turn-Based Battles. But the Persona games made me forget all that. They are truly different and unique and you definitely should give them a try.

11. Moonwalker1982

Could you explain a bit more about that? I really wonder what makes them so special, they ARE the same devs as Catherine, right? :)

12. Ireland Michael

@11 Yes, but they’re completely different games.

Persona is a very fun RPGs, but there’s absolutely nothing unique about its setting. School kids with magical powers and everyday problems are a dime a dozen in Japan.

It is turn based, like people said, but I for one love the gameplay behind the Shin Megami games. It’s hard to explain. Try checking some videos.

I think the core Shin Megami titles are better than the Persona spin-offs myself, but hey, that’s just me.