Valve announces Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Friday, 12th August 2011 17:53 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Valve has officially announced Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

The game is targeted for release via Playstation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, and Steam in early 2012 and will expand upon the team-based action gameplay which was launched exactly 12 years ago.

Global Offensive features new maps, characters, and weapons with updated versions of the classic CS content in addition to new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.

“Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999,” said Doug Lombardi, VP of marketing at Valve.

“For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand on CS’ award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next gen consoles and the Mac.”

CS: GO is being developed by Valve in cooperation with Seattle-based Hidden Path Entertainment.

The games was rumored earlier today thanks to comments from play testers and eSports figures via an ESEA forums post.

The title is targeted for release in early 2012 and will be playable at this year’s PAX Prime and Eurogamer Expo 2011.

Visit the game’s Steam page here.

1. Erthazus

So it’s something like… Condition Zero or is it a successor?

2. Yoshi

Damn that was close, I nearly wrote in the other one saying I bet £100 they deny it XD, that was a close call :P

EDIT: @1 I wouldn’t put it past them if it is a CZ kinda thing.

3. Erthazus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-h3cIPabQs&feature=player_detailpage trailer.

I’m not sure that this is a successor.

4. M. K.

“Need back up!” Really nice, looking forward to it :)

5. Xuchilbara

Would be a lot more excited if they would announce Episode 3…

6. Jackie

that’s not the real trailer

it’s for counter-strike online

7. Talkar

I’m sorry to say, but i really couldn’t see anything new in that trailer. They are reusing the old maps and bringing in matchmaking, which really haven’t been a good thing in most PC FPS. And if i know Valve, they are sure to once again use the aged Source engine. But i’ll give it a chance when it comes out nonetheless, i’m just not pumped for it x)

8. Edo

So that means what…Half-Life 3 in 2013?

9. Christopher Jack

“The game is targeted for release via Playstation Network, Xbox Live Arcade…” We all know a certain somebody who won’t enjoy hearing that, regardless of the fact that it’ll have no effect on him.

10. Yoshi

Yeh you may wanna delete that “trailer” as I’m pretty sure it’s wrong.

11. sasha

Thats a video for CSO

http://cso.iahgames.com/site/index.aspx :P

12. Dr.Ghettoblaster

First of all…………this is awesome. Especially for Valve going PSN/XBL.

Second of all…………in my mind………this confirms Half Life 3 as 2014 next gen hardware launch title (PS4/XBOX720) which i have to admit, not a bad idea. THAT shit’ll sell a system or two……

13. Gekidami

Oh look, on consoles. Who’d have thought? …I mean besides the people who arent legally retarded.

14. BULArmy

So I bet no tactics at all, health-regen, no store for weapons, quick knife and button push for grenades. Still hope that they will retain as much as possible from the original games don’t do another CoD clone, because this is fuckin’ CS it is all about being a little better in shooting headshots from across the street then the other guy.

15. lkm

Why valve people so stupid?!

16. Gamer_Flo

Okay wow…i know what they gonna do…they´ll take the Counter-Strike from the xbox, do a hd-remake and then make it avaiable also for PlayStation 3 User…this is gonna be legen – wait for it – dary!

17. Maximum Payne

New gameplay mods you say ?
    But I am curious is it going to have option to buy acog,silencer and stuff like that.
    @16 I see what you did there :D

18. Erthazus

anyway, i’m curious to see what is this CS that is on the XBLA and PSN? Isn’t it too small for the “New” CS? Or is it just a reharshed remake of the Source but with (more revamped maps and modes)?

I want a true Successor to the Counter-Strike, everything else does not interest me or does not matter. Because CSCZ was also made by a 3rd party company with VALVE and in the end it was not worth anything.

@17, basic CS buying mechanic should be there, although some rumors go that ammo will be free now and actually it’s a right decision.

19. el duderino

All the cs elitist bitches need to read this first,before saying OMG VALVE SOLD OUT http://eseanews.com/index.php?s=news&d=comments&id=9969

Personally i can’t wait for this.

20. Maximum Payne

@19 WOW molotov cocktail and Decoy grenades NICE !

21. ultramega

FUCK YEAH!

22. Old MacDonald

This looks SO EXCITING!!!!

Naah, just kidding.

23. HauntaVirus

I’m excited, just surprised it’s not a full retail game; makes sense though.

24. Hunam

Well there goes my life.

25. stretch215

Told you so

26. IL DUCE

Yeah…I’m pumped…been waiting for another console Counter-Strike since the original X Box version, and ever since I lost my Steam account that I used my PC version of the original CS on…

27. Yoshi

@26 retrieve info? :)

28. Fin

lolz @ everyone saying yesterday “Nah, it’ll never come to consoles. I’m right and everyone else is wrong”.

Fail.

29. AT1LLA

Heard that they gonna use portal 2 engine!

30. Gekidami

^ Thats the Source Engine, same one as nearly all of their games… At least it’ll work in an MP game like this, it can do some nice visuals and in the case of CS they only need to load one map at a time, so the ridiculously numerous amount of loading screens we saw in Portal 2 wont be in effect.