Epic: Bulletstorm “didn’t make money,” for the firm, but it has no regrets

Saturday, 23rd July 2011 15:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Mike Capps, president of Epic Games, has said People Can Fly’s Bulletstorm “didn’t make money” for the firm, but neither he nor the rest of the company have any regrets regarding the shooter.

Speaking with Kotaku, Capps said despite lackluster sales for the title: “The studio has shipped AAA content. The next thing we do with People Can Fly will be great.”

Bulletstorm released in February of 2011, and landed at number seven on the NPD charts, with Cowen and Compnay’s Doug Creutz stating it moved 279,000 units for the month.

Around the same time as the game’s debut, a controversial Fox News segment singled out Bulletstorm among others as being perpetrators of violence and even rape.

Capps said the segment “probably helped sell more units,” than keep folks from buying as was Fox’s intent.

At GDC Europe next month, Capps will deliver a keynote titled:”Size Doesn’t Matter: How Epic Brings AAA Attitude to Every Game, from Gears of War 3 to Infinity Blade.”

1. DSB

It struck me as pretty redundant.

I love shooters, but I really don’t need one that’s short, has lackluster multiplayer, and comes packed with Games for Windows Live.

I’m sure it’s good fun, but it’ll still be good fun once it’s knocked down to 15 euro.

2. Maximum Payne

@1 Agree.When Comes to gears that have better and longer campaign with coop and better MP (DUH!)….

3. Erthazus

I loved singleplayer campaign.

4. The_Deleted

So no more Bulletstorm :( colour me gutted. One of the best games of this gen and far more exciting than any number of Gears of Duty.

5. Noodlemanny

Only 279,000? Thats literally criminal.

6. KAP

Epic: Bulletstorm “didn’t make money,” for the firm, but it has no regrets.

I bet their investors didnt think so.

7. Phoenixblight

THey have Gears of War. The investor won’t give them any slack if this was a lesser known developer, they would have been gutted and fired. I am glad EPic was willing to try something new. It was a fantastic game and I loved every bit of it.

8. Razor

@6 What are you talking about?

Epic is a private company.

9. DSB

Technically that just means we can’t know how they’re financed, but given that they’ve had a lot of succes with both Gears of War and licensing their engines, they certainly should be able to fund quite a bit.

EA published it, but that doesn’t neccesarily mean anything.

Regardless, they obviously didn’t make the game to fail, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t satisfied with the product.

10. Stoopid_Snot

Don’t Understand why in all interviews regarding Bulletstorm only Epic is talking, they talk about it almost like they made the game

11. YoungZer0

Well, to be honest i was quite bored by this game. While the humor made me chuckle once, the level-design ruined the gameplay. Why build a level in the style of a Gears Game (A lot of cover) and make the gameplay fun-based? It didn’t work at all.

Having said that, i really liked the high amount of color, and while the levels didn’t work, they looked damn pretty.

12. chriswhaaat

That’s unfortunate. I found it was nice break from the serious shooters. Still go back to it once in a while when I feel like shooting dudes in the nuts.

13. ultramega

And they don’t deserve a sale more. Yes, the gameplay was solid and refreshing, but the PC version was totally broken. I couldn’t even launch the game, and I tried EVERYTHING – scouring the internet for hours for a solution. Eventually I just had to crack the game, in order to play it. It’s another case of criminals having an easier time playing a game than us paying consumers. (And no, I was not the only one with issues. Fucking DRM, it likely was).

Those issues aside, I would have enjoyed the game a hell of a lot more.

14. Phoenixblight

Thats weird because most of friends got it on the PC and it ran fine. Not sure why you had an issue.

15. ultramega

Yeah. It was weird, and it was too bad too, because the game itself was quite a bit of fun. No official cause was found while I was looking for a reason.

Of course, there were legions of fans complaining on the forums after launch, but no one from PCF/Epic made any statements in response. That’s what bothered me the most: no recognition or suggestions from the developer or publisher. To me, that just shows totally disrespect to your customers.

16. LarsWestergren

I would have bought it if it hadn’t used Games For Windows Live.

17. On2wheels

Ran great for me on pc, just finished it actually. After the credits there’s some dialog that might hint to a sequel. Moral of the story: Always let the credits play, kiddies.

18. Joe_Gamer

The console market is already filled to the brim with first person shooters, and selling it with GFWL attached guaranteed that it would die a quick death in the PC market. Hell it would have been more surprising to me if the game had sold well.