Reggie shows Skyward Sword, Kid Icarus, Wii U on Fallon

Saturday, 18th June 2011 19:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Jimmy Fallon closed out his week of videogames on his late night talk show with Reggie Fils-Aime showing off Kid Icarus’ use of AR cards, and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Kid Icarus and the AR cards were shown for just a few seconds before the Zelda demo kicked off. It showed Link in the Sky Temple fighting a Stalfos, while Fallon waggled the shit out of the controller.

After that, the Wii U made an appearance, and Reggie told Jimmy the console would be out sometime after April 2012.

Watch it for yourself below.

Thanks, 456isuperduper456.

1. Gama_888

Was hoping to see some propper WiiU gameplay but w.e.

Was nice to get a propper look at the controller though, Why the hell have they got those nub things rather than analogue sticks?

2. monkeygourmet

I know, in Kotaku’s hands-on they clearly would have prefered analogue sticks to the 3DS style nubs when playing Ghost Recon.

I wonder if Nintendo will change them? Seems a bit of a fail if they are trying to court the hardcore and the pad doesn’t quite cut the mustard…

Im hoping they package a Classic controller or re-jigged Gamecube pad for FPS’s and action games…

3. Moonwalker1982

Is it true that the triggers aren’t even really triggers but just buttons?
    I must say though that SKyward Sword is looking DAMN fine, i am definitely getting that.

4. monkeygourmet

Not quite sure about the triggers but the ‘nubs’ do not have the L3/R3 click feature like the PS3 and 360 pad. That seems like a terrible idea as those buttons are widely used to melee/crouch/aim in alot of FPS’s

5. alterecho

Reggie Fils-Aime is quite an awesome presenter i must say.

6. Gekidami

There is no “proper” Wii-U gameplay. Right now they dont have any actual games running on it.

7. monkeygourmet

Here’s some gameplay of Ghost Recon up and running on Wii U:

8. Moonwalker1982

There’s also that Wii U exclusive from Ubi, sadly at this point…verrrrrry underwhelming.

9. monkeygourmet

Yeah, graphically that game looks very poor. I thought the initial start-up movie was in game and i was amazed, then the gameplay kicked in…

10. xino

the AR battle is retarded man.
    anyway it’s for kids, like a Pokemon thing.

and isn’t it time to redefine the Zelda gameplay mechanics? wtf is the point in using old skool gameplay dating back to the 90s? that is not evolving man, just copy and past with new story, graphics and characters. They need to start changing their IP’s gameplay mechanic and introduce new way of playing.

Like Metroid Prime did

11. monkeygourmet

I wish Nintendo would have released a SNES 2 type console that was powerful and catered for the graphics whores, then run the original Wii alongside at a reduced price (£75)…

Kinda like how Sony kept the PS2 going for so long releasing family friendly games on it (Buzz etc…)

That way they could still make a shit load of profit off the Wii and the new console could compete directly with the PS3 and 360 or their successors…

I feel this tablet controller could have always been added later on and the console itself could have been more powerful.

12. Gekidami

I stand corrected.

13. Moonwalker1982

I keep being interested in the Wii U, but at the same time i’m taking it easy with the anticipation….cause there’s so much uncertainty. We don’t even exactly know how powerful the console will be, but if that story about that ‘graphics card dating back to 2009′ is true…oh my. That aint good…especially if the story about MS’ new console is true.

Wii U would be incredibly interesting for me because it’s also gonna get multiplatform games now, and if they would look much better on the Wii U, it would be enough for me to buy the console. Cause on top of that you get the well known typical Nintendo games like Mario,Zelda, Donkey Kong,Metroid, etc. But if they are coming with hardware that is only a bit more powerful than current consoles….sigh.

14. threadzilla

Reggie is awesome, very good spokesmen. Also, the new zelda game looks very good and I can’t wait for it to come out, its an exciting time for nintendo.

15. HeavenlyGamer

@13, Moonwalker1982

From what I read, there’s a big difference between the higher-end and the lower-end when it comes to the R770 graphics card family. The higher end is still supposed to be very impressive.

I’m also very interested about the Wii U, mainly because I want to play Mario games again! It could also become an interesting platform regarding multi-platform games, especially shooters. However, I don’t see that happening soon if they decide to go on with the non-clickable analog pads/thing.

I was also asking myself how powerful the new graphics should be, because when playing Uncharted 2 or God of War 3 I never looked at the screen and said: ‘man this could have looked so much better’. So 50% should be actually be enough, I think..

Anyway, I was wondering, what story have you heard/read about MS’ new console?

16. Moonwalker1982

Hmmm..didn’t know that, that could mean beatiful visuals for the Wii U then. I hope SO much that we’ll eventually get that Wii U zelda, i went ape shit when i saw it. But right now it’s just an ‘experience’ .

I don’t mind it that much if there won’t be much shooters, but if they can bring some awesome RPGs (my fav genre) to the Wii U, it would be awesome,, so you can check your inventory on the controller while still playing. And non-clickable sticks don’t matter much then….i’m very curious to see what’s gonna happen next year.

And this the link about MS

17. HeavenlyGamer

@16, Moonwalker1982

Thanks man! Yesterday vg24/7 posted an article in which Crytek denied the whole story.. Not surprised about that though. I think the first company to demonstrate MS’ new tech will be EPIC.

Yeah, the Zelda demo did look pretty good! It reminded me of the big scorpion in GoW 3. I sure hope Nintendo releases the Wii U properly.. With a new Mario or Zelda that is!

Regarding the analog controller thing. I think it’s stupid what they are planning to do with that, knowing FPS’ are a very big part of gaming nowadays.

18. Tallon 4

Jimmy Fallon: What an asshole…

19. Moonwalker1982

Yeah i really dislike that dude too. With every other game they showed last week he kept acting like someone who didn’t know anything about games, acting stupid as hell on purpose, thinking he’s funny. Of course his crowd laughs about…well…absolutely nothing.

20. Gama_888

@8, That start up film looked awesome. Why cant we have that? :)

The game itself, Are you kidding me?
    No way there is someone that genuinely wants to play a game like that? I’m assuming there is an option to play with the NUBS.

21. Moonwalker1982

Start up film?

22. carp

So embarrassing…I hate watching stuff about videogames on TV. It’s like hearing your parents talk about sex.