Gears of War movie in “development hell”

Friday, 17th June 2011 03:49 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Creator Cliff Bleszinski has confirmed the Gears of War movie project has stymied.

“It’s in development hell right now,” the Epic designer told Gamefront.

“Who knows what’ll happen. It took however many years for Peter Jackson to make Lord of the Rings.

“Hollywood is a complicated beast. There’s all sorts of weirdness going on with who’s working on it, what’s going on here and there. But, hopefully it happens.

“Maybe the Gears 3 success will generate more interest in it. I’d love to see it. I’d rather have a movie that’s great and true to the franchise, than a movie that sucks. I’d rather not have a movie, than a movie that sucks.”

Gears of War 3 launches on Xbox 360 in September.

1. GwynbleiddiuM

LoL, with that horrendous character design, with that Hideous story, and demotivational story, I fail to understand why it’s in development hell… lol…

2. Christopher Jack

There’s potential for great movie adaptions of video games but not the way the movie industry works, I don’t know why they’re too stubborn to use the scripts from the game.

3. Zana

Remove the gameplay element of Gears of War and all you’re left with is ridiculous. Please, no movie.

4. KL

Did he mentioned Lord of the Rings in there? His example is “EPIC” fail.

5. Lounds

Will it be live action?, I hate 100% animated CGI films

6. Freek

Unless you’re Resident Evil, with a proven track record of making box office money, you will not get greenlit unless you do it verry cheaply.

And in order to do Gears properly it will have to be an expensive special effects movie, with an R rating.
    Those are hard enough (if not impossible) to get made if you’re a “regular” movie, let alone something based on a videogame.

7. Espers

that guy looks he’s from Limbizkit

8. Espers

@5 CGI films tend to do better than live action shit !! i.e: resident evil my ASS

9. IL DUCE

@1 You’re just a pitiful Gears hater…what are you a PS3 fan boy I assume? Or a obsessed Halo or CoD fan?

10. lexph3re

@9 yes because everyone who has disdain for a franchise must be a console fanboy or a how’d you say it? “Obsessed halo or cod fan” or perhaps the game just didn’t appeal to him?

As for movie adaptations its best that hollywood reinvent the story a little instead of making you pay 10 bucks at the box office for something you already spent $60 for at home. The only film adaption that reinvented the series while staying as true to the game is the resident evil franchise. Making not only the outbreak a success but umbrellas plans for a perfect being a success too. Ex. The plot of the entire re series. Incase some forgot in re4 leon injected with the virus was on wesker level of awesomeness. And, alice in the movie was on wesker level of what’s that ladies and gents? Wesker awesomeness.

Mortal kombat movies almost got it until the sequel we shall not mention.

11. GwynbleiddiuM

@IL DUCE No I don’t hate Gears actually, I hate its story and characters (especially Marcus) but aside from that it’s good fun and has a solid gameplay, I like that.