RAGE on PC will ship with full modding and level design tools

Thursday, 5th May 2011 21:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

After hinting around about it for quite some time, id Software’s creative director Tim Willits has confirmed that the PC version of RAGE will ship with a full set of modding and level design tools this September.

id has said inthe past it would release the tools, but never said whether they would be included at launch. Now, according to Willits, it will.

In order of access the tools, all you have to do is: “Pull down the console, type ‘id studio’, then press enter. Then, bam, there’s all the tools we use,” explained Willits, who also said it might be a bit harder for folks who have never used idtech 5 to get used to.

“Building levels from scratch is more difficult,” he continued, “because we have a layer system in some of the levels. I can foresee somebody modding up Wellspring and adding different characters, giving them different voice-over.”

So if you have the know-how and the urge to create levels for the game, have fun, because it’s all built into the engine for you.

Thanks, PC Gamer.

1. Giskard

As far as I’m concerned, this went from a must have, to something I will buy a new PC for, to run at max and enjoy fully.

2. Erthazus

Fantastic and the game is cheaper also. :D

3. theevilaires

Still getting it for PS3 only.

4. Bloodyghost

Predictable.

id is a PC strong developer.

Still getting for Xbox, since friends are.

5. TheWulf

Oooh. Could this be the beginning of an Id SDK, I wonder? That’d be incredible, and they have some catching up to do there versus the U(nreal)DK, after all. If it is though, with that sort of technology, it’s going to open all sorts of doors to independent developers.

6. xxJPRACERxx

I miss the time when id was really pushing and helping the mod community. This is great news!

7. Bloodyghost

@5 since the buy from Bethesda, the intended id Tech 5 SDK is only for developers in Bethesda’s publishing circle.

This will be like it however but its more like a Forge or Map Editor then a SDK.

I like that tho, I HATE the UI of the UDK and other SDK.

I almost prefer the Autodesk Maya and 3DS UI.

8. xxJPRACERxx

@7 You can’t really compare a full feature 3d suite like Maya or MAX to UnrealEd. 3d game engine have precise needs.

But if you’re a (good)programmer you can create a 3d exporter for a particular game engine.

9. monkeygourmet

Damn 360 DVD size, if it had Bluray then im sure this feature would be included! :D

10. Stardog

Nice, I’ll buy it because of this.

11. TheWulf

Really? That’s a damn shame, since Id are usually amazing and quite ahead of the curve with engine technology, and I’d absolutely love to see that get into the hands of indie developers. I mean, I know there are some aspects of it they couldn’t use, where they’d have to use more traditional approaches (the megatextures is an example of this), but there would still be benefits to, say, an Id5 lite.

Shame, really. Id is going to miss the boat here though I think, considering how many existing and upcoming games use/will use UDK/Unity. Wolfire’s engine isn’t looking at all bad either as an OpenGL alternative, and I hope that once they’re done with Overgrowth, they’ll repurpose it as such.

Anyway, that’s enough rambling from me.