Kawata: Resident Evil 6 to be “totally different”

Wednesday, 20th April 2011 01:20 GMT By Brenna Hillier

According to Capcom producer Masachika Kawata, the next core Resident Evil game will be radically different from Resident Evil 5.

As reported by Rely on Horror, the Operation Raccoon City producer told Spanish site MarcaPlayer the franchise would be overhauled.

“The series will see a complete renovation with the next entry on every level,” he said.

“But we can’t forget about all the previous entries that have led to the creation of many possibilities for the franchise. I can’t say if we’re going to make [Resident Evil 6] survival horror or a shooter, but I can say that it’ll be totally different.”

The Resident Evil series largely debuted the survival horror genre, and has gently evolved into more action-oriented titles like Resident Evil 4 and 5.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. Phoenixblight

Just like Resident Evil 5….Zing!

2. osric90

Resident Evil 4 was as genious as Resident Evil 1 or 2 were in their times. Resident Evil 5 was kind of silly but it was still very, VERY enjoyable with a replay value of HELL, I mean, I finished that game like 10 times and then other 10 times to unlock EVERYTHING. Gameplay was aged but graphics, effects and extras were simply awesome, even more than Resident Evil 4. Now, for a Resident Evil 6 I would love to see what got lost in the way, the survival horror part, but not for that lose everything Resident Evil 4 and 5 farmed, like a fater, funnier, easier to finish and enjoy game. Resident Evil 6 has to be the perfect mix and try to begin a story a little smarter and deeper, that would be a real change. I’m afraid as Mikami won’t be involved (and we all know he’s a god of videogame creation) but in Resident Evil 5 Capcom Japan proved that they know where to take the franchise, making a little mistakes on the way. I’m ready and very excited for the next REAL (Japanese) Resident Evil release.

3. Phoenixblight

RE 5 wasn’t that good it went on a complete different direction then the series where it removed the horror and then put steroids into the action. Then you have to play RE5 with CO-OP otherwise you were stuck with a AI that has an iq of a 3 year old with a gun.

RE is dead to me if this is the direction they want to go.

4. Dr.Ghettoblaster

“I can’t say if we’re going to make [Resident Evil 6] survival horror or a shooter, ….”

That’s such a sad statement. It’s actullay confirmation to me that all hope is now officially lost.

5. cjd

resident evil 5′S story fucked up the franchise. everything about the fith installment cries mediocre. I CAN’T even remember how a bossed looked in the fifth game. i loved resi 4. IT WAS awesome and it still had that purity of the previous games. CAPCOM NEED mikami back, THE SERIES is lost without him!!!!!!!!

6. FadeLive

Personally I would like for them to take some inspiration from Half-Life 2. Take the Raveholm sequence in Half Life 2. Something more eerie and subtle that makes you think what the hell went down here rather than throw a zombie through the window in order to scare the player.

7. triggerhappy686

OK this is good news. I just can’t stay of these RE threads so this comment might be quite meaty.

This is good news because it means Operation Raccoon City is NOT the next main installment. It is also good news because we now know that they recognise that RE has lost its way. Im never popular when I say this but IT HAPPENED AT 4. 4 for me was a total let down, it took the story WAY off track, the gameplay was excellent I don’t deny that but its not just gameplay I play RE for, its story too. Infact back in the day the story was vastly superior to the gameplay.

5 was better than 4. There I said it. It brought the story back on track, hell it was more true to the source than CV or 4, it brought Umbrella back in to the fold in a big way. That Umbrella facility in Africa has been mentioned before, waayyy back so it is well and truly canon.

As osric90 mentioned, gameplay and replayability in 5 were truly excellent. The DLC was excellent too, we all know DLC is usually map packs and stuff but here they went for improving and adding to the single player story, not many devs do this. OK rant on 5 over ;)

6 will be a much needed reboot but if any of the previous titles should take the blame for taking the series off course it should be 4. I feel 5 made the best out of the crappy sitution it was in.

As for action vs survival horror?? BRING ON THE HORROR CAPCOM!!
    *COUGH*lost in nightmares*COUGH*

8. irisiii

welcome to it !!hi gh quali ty☆ reaso nable pric e☆
    free shi pping accept pay pal,
    if you have interest in it , take action !!!!!
    ***** {{w w w }} {{ happyshopping100 }} {{ com }} ***

9. Erthazus

@2,”Resident Evil 4 was as genious as Resident Evil 1 or 2 were in their times”

in what?

10. Blerk

I think I might be ‘done’ with Resident Evil, to be honest. It’s going to have to be a pretty radical rethink to make me take notice again.

11. joseangelhe

It’s going to be an RPG or an RTS. Just watch.

12. Hybridpsycho

How about…a NEW IP? :O

BLASPHEMY

13. Dr.Ghettoblaster

“As for action vs survival horror?? BRING ON THE HORROR CAPCOM!!
    *COUGH*lost in nightmares*COUGH*”

I couldn’t possibly agree more with the above comment. Seems to be the general concensus too. Lost in Nightmares was really, REALLY a step in the right direction. I hope Capcom is listening to the fans..

14. osric90

@9 In ways you obviously can’t see.

15. el duderino

Shooter? as in first person shooter? OH GOD PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN i want to see you guys rage