RAGE – New trailer, Anarchy Edition, new iOS game

Monday, 18th April 2011 15:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

id Software finally showed RAGE’s multiplayer segment in Utah last week, with design director Matt Hooper confirming to VG247 it’ll release a second iOS title on the IP.

You’ll hear more details on the multiplayer from us later in the week, but it will feature two major components: co-op and something known as RAGE Combat Rally.

RAGE Combat Rally will feature up to at least six players on competitive and team modes. One of the modes shown was competitive, where going through rally points and taking out leaders earn you points. Weapons are naturally included.

The second multiplayer segment is known as Legends of the Wasteland, where you and a buddy will take on co-op missions based on events told in the single-player, either online and split-screen.

More on the multiplayer, as well as hands-on impressions with some of the single-player missions, will come tomorrow.

Second iOS spin-off confirmed by Hooper

Meanwhile, design director Matt Hooper has told VG247 that there will be a second iOS spin-off of the game, but didn’t drop any more details or when it will release.

“We do have a team that their whole focus is to work on that. John [Carmack] is really proud of that and he likes doing it. It does make sense. We haven’t made any firm commitment on when it will release, but there will be another RAGE title on iOS,” Hooper told us in Park City in a ten minute video interview you’ll see tomorrow.

It follows what appeared to be a mention of a second title from id tech boss John Carmack at QuakeCon last year following the unveil of Mutant Bash TV, saying another title could arrive before the shooter launches this year.

Watch the full interview with Matt Hooper tomorrow.

Anarchy Edition announced, US only for now

Bethesda also announced that it’ll launch an Anarchy Edition of RAGE.

The special edition, which is for 360, PC and PS3, will include a double-barrel shotgun, rat-rod buggy – which will replace your standard buggy in the game – fists of RAGE and a crimson elite armour, which is a combo of three suit armours in the game.

Those who’ve already pre-ordered the shooter, id’s first new IP in 15 years, will be automatically upgraded for free.

The Anarchy Edition is, however, only confirmed for the US at the minute, with Bethesda PR and marketing VP Pete Hines insisting at the company’s pre-E3 showcase in Utah that no further announcements have been made on the SE for the UK or Europe.

id also confirmed that a mission pack known as the “Wasteland Sewers” where you’re sent in to a collection of these mutant infested tunnels of old abandoned structures underground.

“It’s a really neat offering that adds a lot of gameplay to the Wasteland,” according to creative director Tim Willits. It will come as standard with all copies of the game, normal or the Anarchy Edition.

RAGE releases on September 13 in the US and September 16 in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC. Get new footage below.

1. Patrick Garratt

That new trailer’s fucking incredible.

2. StolenGlory

Oh yes. This game looked like the shit from Day One.

This trailer merely reinforces that fact :)

3. Phoenixblight

This game looks fantastic. THe detail in the environment and background just shits on most games. I can’t wait to play this on my PC.

4. Erthazus

Already preordered it :D
    I like all ID Games ( except for Doom 3 or Quake 4) :P

5. Maximum Payne

^^ And what actually you like from ID ? :(
    And the footage are from PC version.You can see it on 04:11,press E…

6. Dr.Ghettoblaster

This looks too fucking good. Looking forward to seeing the CONSOLE versions…

7. Christopher Jack

Although I admit that this looks impressive, I’d still rather a sequel to Borderlands.
    There is very little sense of depth, looks like an oil painting while standing motionless, still impressive.

8. StolenGlory

The console versions will be hellaciously impressive.

Trust me.

9. Maximum Payne

@7 Agree.I hope at least they balance not to be very difficult nor very easy maybe like Diablo 2 :P

10. YoungZer0

Yawn, wow this is the first time i’m actually a little bit interested. A new environment, isn’t that something? Something i have perhaps seen already? In Metro2033, maybe?

Can the levels be more linear?

And seriously, can the gameplay be more boring?

Can the art-direction be more shallow? Why do the mutants look just like the ones from the waste? Are mutants not freezing?

Nice graphics, but that’s it. At least Crysis had good gameplay.

11. Johnny Cullen

@8 It already does. Played the 360 version last Tuesday and it’s properly slick.

You’ll find out more tomorrow, but it looks really impressive.

12. Erthazus

@6, that what you saw was basically a console version.

13. Crab of Thunder

I don’t know why people are bothered about seeing the console version tbh. The difference isn’t going to be massive in any case.

14. DSB

That looked pretty neat. Those weapons sounds are probably the worst I’ve heard since MW2 though.

15. 2plus2equals5

Levels, enemies, guns etc are too similar to fallout 3.

16. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Funny how everyone on this particular game seems to be saying console and PC versions won’t be much different, when Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, and most other PC/console games ARE..

I just don’t understand the mentality or rational thinking behind this logic based on past experiences. Is it simply faith?

Can’t wait for RAGE and hope all versions look as good as the vids shown thus far.

17. The_Red

This one actually was impressive. I just hope they add more color. Rage is really looking like a black and white game (With brown instead of black). Such a shame for the decent visual effects and great technical stuff behind it.

18. Lewis247

Aw wow, this looks out-fucking-standing. Was amazed with that big mutant lurking about and then seeing at the end again was so insane. Cannot wait!!!!! Damn why is there so many awsome games coming out!

19. Kabby

Are you watching the same video as me? Looks bland and boring. Character movement is cumbersome and the tactics involve circle strafing mobs on the opposite side of their attack arm. Maybe a bit harsh for a quick trailer but I can’t see why you’re all getting hyped about it.

20. Crab of Thunder

@16 I’m not denying that there is a difference, there is. I’m just saying that it isn’t a huge difference, they’re still relatively the same thing. The PC version may have the edge in terms of running the game and it’s graphics, but a decent PC/Graphics card will cost upwards of £400.
    I just don’t understand all this “OMFG that looks SHIT , PC is way fkin better!!!!”

21. Dr.Ghettoblaster

^ I hear ya. Your end quote sounds like Erthazus…

22. jldoom

Lol @ at all the PC vs Console comments and graphics debates. As long as the game is fun and keeps me entertained, I’ll play it. I’ll wait for a demo though before I start getting excited about this, I want to see how it feels with a PS3/Xbox controller in my hands.

23. Dr.Ghettoblaster

^
    Nothing funny about talking graphics really (unless it’s amateur hour flamebait war). I own PC, PS3, and X360. I’d like to play through the best version possible, but actually prefer my console setup.

24. Edo

I didn’t notice that he picked up any loot,so is that a fact(that there will be no loot ,which would kind of suck),or simply he did not have any time to pick it up which is highly unlikely.

25. HauntaVirus

^ya wheres the LOOT???

26. dtyk

I still think it looks boring. However, I will admit the giant was impressive.

27. polygem

hehe, people complaining it is too fo3 or borderlands…others ask hey wheres the loot. it must be tough too please your customers in the development biz. but that´s ok.
    rage doesn´t look like reinventing the wheel to me but looks like a damn sexy shooter with a very nice, creepy atmosphere to it. i´ll probably love it. among the top of my list.