Jaffe: Twisted Metal reboot was originally PSN title

Tuesday, 15th March 2011 05:34 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Eat, Sleep, Play co-founder David Jaffe has said that Twisted Metal was previously planned as a PSN title rather than a full-blown Blu-ray retail release.

Speaking to IGN at GDC two weeks ago, he admitted that the game was being touted for release in a similar way Warhawk and SOCOM Confrontation was.

It also would have been multiplayer-only.

“This Twisted Metal started as a PSN game,” said Jaffe. “Sony is the one that came to us and said they wanted more; they liked what they were seeing and wanted to make it into a full retail product.

“We actually went from PSN-only, and then we were going to be like Warhawk and SOCOM Confrontation in terms of it was going to be a $39 product that was multi-player only, and then Sony’s like, ‘No no, they want the stories’ and Marketing’s like, ‘Yeah, you guys don’t realize how many fans love the Twisted Metal universe, you gotta give us the stories.’”

Jaffe added: “We weren’t going back to Sony begging for more money to make this bigger. They wanted it bigger and of course we wanted to do that. Sony is a very smart company; they’ve done their market research to see if there are enough Twisted Metal fans to merit rolling the dice.

“It has a great legacy for Sony and SCEA, and I think everybody was on board.”

Twisted Metal is slated for release later this year for PS3.

1. FredEffinChopin

At least the man can take good advice when he hears it.

2. RockTwist

Why is the clown taking a dump on his bumper?

3. Zurtech

@2 Cos he’s a clown… they do that sort of thing along with being all creepy like.

4. Crysis

I can’t say for certain, but from several quotes from many developers that I’ve heard, Sony seems to be the number one publisher to work with. I could be wrong, but this is just a few random quotes from guys like David Cage (Heavy Rain) & Ted Price (Insomniac), but also the partnerships I hear between Sony’s first party & even second party studios with each other.

5. Toastrules

@2 DAMMIT I CAN’T UNSEE IT

6. HauntaVirus

Sounds awesome, happy this turned out to be a full retail game.

7. sennasnit

hope it’s good, i’m really looking forward to it.

8. Lounds

I can’t see it being one of thos games that keeps me coming back for more, there best be a progression system if they want my money.

9. xxJPRACERxx

I think I played 500+ hours of Twisted Metal 2. I remeber having lot of fun chasing my sister in Paris.

10. Ireland Michael

Pity. Everything I saw of it at E3 still makes it look cheap and garbage.