Ubisoft Toronto likes the new digs, “talking” about the next Splinter Cell

Thursday, 10th March 2011 20:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ubisoft Toronto GM Jade Raymond has said the firm is currently staffing up the core teams for two projects being worked on and is looking at local Ontario schools for some positions.

Speaking in an interview with Gamasutra, Raymond said the area is great due to some of the “amazing schools” like the University of Waterloo, not to mention the region’s thriving indie scene.

“Hopefully [Ubisoft and the indies] feed into each other,” she said. “I don’t know if you’ve heard of the Hand Eye Society, but there’s this really cool group of indie developers that get together in really interesting events where they kind of show and tell, and exchange ideas. We’ve been attending those.

“Actually, one of the indie developers, Capybara Games, is actually making a game now that Ubisoft was already publishing beforehand, so I’m really excited because I hope that we can collaborate with them.”

Raymond also said the studio will hopefully create a new IP someday with the possibility of integrating triple-A development with social aspects; but for now, the firm is already talking about “starting to work on the next Splinter Cell”.

“At some point, we plan to start up a new IP,” she said. “Those are some of the things that we’re already thinking but not working on yet. We’ve talked about already starting to work on the next Splinter Cell.

“We’re not sharing too much about that, but obviously there are a lot of those ideas, too, that will hopefully be brought into that brand.”

1. Erthazus

After last Splinter Cell i don’t care anymore.

It’s a crappy stealth action game for console gamers who don’t know the genre at all. Mediocre and casual at best and the days of the first 2 great Splinter Cells are over. I don’t know why…

they made first two titles even for consoles and they were great.

2. monkeygourmet

First 2 Splinter Cell games were okay at the time. The whole genre has become boring now, it’s not just Splinter Cell.

A game based solely on stealth just isn’t fashionable anymore and for good reason. Stealth should be part of the gameplay choice, not the only one.

3. monkeygourmet

/\

And that has nothing to do with consoles…

4. Stardog

Please keep Jade Raymond away from this franchise.

5. SlayerGT

I just went out and re-bought Rainbow Six Vegas 1&2. Makes me sad they just put a fork in that franchise as they are still fantastic shooters.

6. Hunam

I liked conviction, with the exception of the terrible dialogue, but i’d rather it had been like the initial idea, which was hiding in plain sight, like crowds etc.

7. OrbitMonkey

@4 Totally agree, we all know girls give games cooties!

8. Erthazus

@2, Stealth games are great. I still enjoy playing first two games and Metal Gear Solid.

It’s not always fun to be a badass full of guns.

“/\

And that has nothing to do with consoles…

Yeap. I’m wrong. It’s because of COMMUNITY that like dumbed down and easy games where you play as Master Chief and blow stuff.

9. DSB

I haven’t played the most recent two Splinter Cells yet, but while the old games were very good, it wasn’t like they were the panultimate stealth games.

And I miss Red Storm Entertainment. Back when they were all about making accessible military styled games for the thinking gamer, they were like a breath of fresh air. Sadly they’ve been gobbled up by the brainsucking Ubimonster, along with Massive Entertainment.

10. Erthazus

“One day you’re complaining about franchises that don’t go anywhere, and another you’re complaining about franchises that do. Make up your mind, Erth.”

franchise that don’t go anywhere is equal to franchises that are dumbed down compared to the first two games that were good.

“What I’m missing is a stealth game that really makes you feel powerful by being hidden. Most stealth games today just makes you feel anxious as soon as you see a lightbulb, and that’s really not very cool.”

I absolutely agree with that. Thats why i wait for the new Thief game or maybe Deus Ex (well i hope so that stealth there will be at the decent level).
    But i also like Metal Gear Solid games where you can go guns blazing or stealth if you want. Choices and i like them.

The problem is that Splinter Cell:Conviction is mediocre in everything in my opinion. Sup bar stealth and sup bar action game.

11. monkeygourmet

The co-op missions were great though! ;)

12. xino

i hope the next splinter cell will utilize the Conviction Co-op mode!
    and I hope the next splinter does play like Conviction!

13. Maximum Payne

I love both Conviction and Chaos Theory.But Conviction remind me of 24 tv show so i enjoy the game :)