Homefront the most pre-ordered title in THQ history, says Bilson

Thursday, 3rd March 2011 12:19 GMT By Johnny Cullen

THQ core games boss Danny Bilson has said upcoming Kaos shooter Homefront is the most pre-ordered game in the company’s history.

Speaking to EG at GDC, he said the title already has 200,000 units pre-ordered in the US alone.

As for rumours the New York-based studio is set to disband and join the new Montreal studio, Bilson said it’s looking at the options on the table right now.

“I really have tremendous respect for them,” he told the site before saying the future of the studio would be decided on how the game sold.

“I tell them the more successful a game is, the better the economics are for the franchise, and that will help to influence what we do. So we haven’t made any decisions at the moment. That’s the truth. We’re going to look at how it goes. We don’t want to relocate people just to relocate people.

“A lot of it has to do with how successful it is and how strong that core team comes out on the other side,” he added. “I love those guys. I’ve worked very closely with them on this game for years. There’s nothing disrespectful going on at all. We’re trying to do what’s best for everyone.”

Homefront releases on March 18 for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. absolutezero

How very depressing.

2. M2Kx

`You know im actually quite happy for both THQ and Kaos BUT really out of all the games that THQ have released the military shooter is the one thats been pre-ordered more than anything else?

How very depressing.`

QFT!

3. NeoSquall

@1 It’s not THQ’s fault, you know.

4. The_Red

Of course, right now one could but actual dog shit in a package and put military first person shooter tag on it and it will sell like hot dogs.

I’m not trying to say that Homefront is a bad game though. Just complaining about insane love of mainstream consumers for this over saturated genre.

5. M2Kx

@4: Oh really? Than tell this all the games who try to be like CoD and fail really, really hard…

6. frostquake

I am really surprised that so many have been pre-ordered! Everyone in my group who has pre-ordered, keep saying, “yeah did you see those cool red head phones that come for free at Best Buy with Pre-Order? I really don’t think they are that great, but who knows, they may be high quality???

This games seems uninteresting, but maybe the story line will be incredible??? Red Dawn is so 80′s to me. I guess I will pick it up at $19.99, but I just can’t see all the interest. Just not my cup of tea…but best wishes to those who want it.

7. absolutezero

@3 you misunderstood, what I meant was that THQ actually release a hell of alot of good games and the one thats been pre-ordered more than any Relic Title, or Metro or even Stalker is Military FPS YEAH!

Thats why its a double edged sword, its great for them but its down-right depressing that this is what sells more than anything else now.

8. OlderGamer

I’m with Frosty on this one.

I just don’t get the hype for this game.

9. DeathJynx

I’m with you Zero. THQ is a studio with a lot of history behind it. The sad part is not THQ doing well, just what it took for them to finally get successful preorder numbers. Says nothing bad for the company, just the market.

10. The_Red

Sadly even the crappiest COD imitators still sell a whole lot more units than most other games. I mean, the new Medal of Honor was an absolute failure and yet it sold more than 2 million units!

11. DSB

I don’t see the point in getting so attached to games that you can’t bear to see them outdone.

I mean, there are countless games that I wish were still around and that I would’ve hoped had done better, but ultimately that’s the decision of the gamers.

Metros, Stalkers and Bioshocks are still being made, so what’s the problem?

And apropos those examples, how come we aren’t bitching about post-apocalyptic shooters? I see no shortage of those any time soon :P