Final Fantasy Versus XIII footage leaks from TGS [Update]

Friday, 17th September 2010 10:27 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Versus XIII

Update: Hope you caught it. It’s been pulled.

Original: Agito XIII not enough? Here’s Versus for you.

The video shows main character Noctis waiting for a car by the looks of it.

It also shows running about somewhere deserted before ending up in a destroyed road.

After jumping off a cliff, he takes on a massive monster in a metropolitan city, before ending there.

All real-time footage by the looks of it.

Square didn’t bring its Closed Mega Theatre to TGS this year, but were still pretty strict about camera use in its booth.

Get into this quick, before Square pulls it!

Despite being development for a ridiculous amount of time, there’s no date yet for the PS3 exclusive, directed by Square golden boy Tetsuya Nomura.

Expect more info on it in January during a special press conference.

Versus XIII is part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series, along with Agito XIII and mainstay Final Fantasy XIII.

1. Patrick Garratt

I doubt that video’s going to be live for very long.

2. Patrick Garratt

Is that real-time combat?

3. Michael O’Connor

I bloody well hope not. If that’s what we’ve been waiting four years for… lord.

4. Patrick Garratt

Looks like it though, innit. Can’t see any turns there.

5. LOLshock94

looks shite

6. Ransom

They said it time ago, it will be an action RPG, is made by the Kingdom Hearts team.

7. Tonka

Wow, that looks so fresh and unique. Just what I’ve come to expect from FF games.

8. Johnny Cullen

*squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!*

9. Michael O’Connor

@7 Are you being sarcastic? I can’t tell.

It looks like a poor man’s spectacle fighter. The movement of the character looks slow and awkward. Kingdom Hearts has more life in it than that.

10. Tonka

Yes I am. I think FF games have been shit since 10 or was it nine? The one where the only exciting bit was the water rugby.

They are nothing but on rail grinders nowadays.

11. HighWindXIX

For some reason, people have been hailing FFversusXIII as the game that will “save” or “redeem” the franchise after the disappointing (to some, not me) FFXII and FFXIII. Except, I’ve *always* been under the impression that it was going to be an action RPG and therefore depart much further from the classic gameplay of SNES-era Final Fantasy than any numbered game (apart from XI and XIV perhaps) and therefore not “save” or “redeem” anything. Its looking like I was right.

12. Ransom

@9 VI was the last one good

13. Monk

Yeah, it`s !
    well, for me that`s wonderful !

need A HD version !

14. Michael O’Connor

@10 Good to know. *laughs*

@12 Not even close. Both IX and XII also were perfectly brilliant games in their own right. Those and VI are my three all time favourites.

Everything else I can easily forget (especially VIII and X)

15. Erthazus

Even not much for the press here…

But damn, Noctis model looks hot. Some clothes physics rocks. I want that game.

16. Lord Gremlin

I only hope for a huge open world. We saw FUEL, but in FF Versus 13 they have 50 gigabytes to fill, so this huge open world can actually be filled with content.

17. Tonka

XII is an insult to gaming.
    So was X

The golden age were V, VI. VII was good but also the beginning of the descent into insulting the player.

18. SplatteredHouse

That speaks of great things to come from this game. I’d like to see a new official trailer, though. It’s been a long time since the last one. It looks as if it remains in-line with the previously released descriptions. I hope it’s not very long now until it is available :)

19. Michael O’Connor

@17 If by “an insult to gaming” you mean a brilliantly designed and challenging game with the most well written story in the franchise to date, layered with subtle and precise character development, mature storytelling, and the best script *ever* seen in a video game… then yes, I completely agree with you.

20. BlueOne

english names !

21. Erthazus

@19 No.

It’s a stupid FF game and a little bit better than FFXIII.
    There are politic stuff in the story and of course it’s mature. Rrrright.
    Game is nothing special. Yawn.

22. Patrick Garratt

That vid’s been pulled.

23. mington

They’re still working on Kotaku:

24. BlueOne

those working :D

25. Monk

26. Michael O’Connor

You can’t beat the power of the internet, Square.

27. Gekidami

Is that gif the whole thing?

28. Johnny Cullen

Na, it’s just the action scene.

29. Lincourt

That is working

30. DaMan

there isn’t even anything to comment on.. an emo running alongside a plane, a couple of emo animations.. oh, I forgot it’s so mature and dark.

not surprising they don’t want general public to see it.

this game gets way too much attention from the press.

31. Dralen

I’m a story man myself, if the story’s good I’ll buy it, especially in the case of RPG’s. But since FFXIII’s story wasn’t very spectacular like the previous titles, I’m not sure anymore.

32. Chris Crocker

@30: lol, emo animations ? The fuck is an emo animation ? XD Amazing how Versus and the new DmC FreakDante can both get bashed for being “emo” when they are miles apart.

Seems like emo has become the go-to insult when your brain can’t think up any legitimate complaint.

Also the trailers are available to the general public, all the general public that paid for a TGS ticket, they just aren’t available to us internet denizens.

That little bit of footage looked great, especially liked the jumping and the combat, the behemoth’s reactions in particular.

33. DaMan

I think what’s amazing is how these delusional fanboys can put quotes by different people on the internet together, just to suit their pathetic angsty agenda. they also lack any sarcasm detectors whatsoever.

there’s hardly anything to look at, smoke and mirrors at it’s best, not surprised since this is what Squenix are all about today. the ‘behemoth reaction’ and uh, ‘fighting’ are hardly anything aside from animations put together to impress certain people.

thanks for the info btw. should’ve travelled to the land of Final Fantasy to see this masterpiece with my own eyes.

34. Falsate

It will neither save nor revolutionize JRPGs or Final Fantasy as a franchise. These things have been accomplished by older titles and it seems as if there are quite a few leaps and bounds before any can evoke such an impact.

Also, IX and XII are easily my favorites. No nostalgic goggles which some might assume based on the previous paragraph.

35. Michael O’Connor

@32 I’m sorry, but Noctis hits the mark of emo far easier than Dante does.

From his look, to his behaviour, to the distant personality, and even the “My life is so haaaaard” pout he constantly has on his face. He’s a well of walking emo sadness. It’s shite.

Dante’s design is heavily inspired by modern post-punk culture. Both visually and in what we’ve seen of his personality so far.

36. 2plus2equals5

Is this crisis core hd? O_O
    Looks the same gameplay, the same location, the same monster and the same situation of the beginning of ff7:cc!
    This is more similar to cc than agito(that isn’t similar for me)!

37. ukpri

action RPG and therefore depart much further from the classic gameplay of SNES-era Final Fandress for women
    Evening Dress Blogtasy than any numbered game (apart from XI and XIV perhaps