Sections

Corre: No new IP from Ubisoft until next-gen

Wednesday, 1st September 2010 11:31 GMT By Johnny Cullen

assassinscreed

Ubisoft Europe MD Alan Corre has said the publisher isn’t planning to release any new IPs until the next generation of consoles.

Speaking to GI, the exec said the upcoming release of R.U.S.E might be the last new IP it releases this generation, which apparently puts a damper on the chances of I Am Alive arriving from Ubi Shanghai next spring.

“It is more difficult now,” said Corre.

“To launch a new IP you have to invest much, much more marketing to establish it, and if you add up the huge costs of development plus the investment in marketing you cannot be 100 percent sure the target audience you’d expect, which is needed for the comeback on the investment.”

He added: “Especially in this part of the cycle of the consoles, we are cautious now to introduce new brands. We’ll concentrate on the ones we have and make sure we bring them to the next level in terms of quality.”

Stabby stab stab

So far this generation, Ubisoft’s released a handful of new IPs, including Tom Clancy titles EndWar and H.A.W.X. – the sequel for the former is on the “backburner”, Michael De Plater told VG247 earlier this year, while H.A.W.X. 2 launches this week for Xbox 360.

Ubi’s biggest new franchise in this hardware round has been Assassin’s Creed: the last title in the series, which launched last year, shipped 9 million units as of May this year, and sold 6 million units as of January.

Hi Ezio, Fisher, Tanner. Please take a seat.

Corre’s comments come as the firm refocuses its priorities on some of its big franchises.

Ubisoft’s Montreal studio is planning to release a direct sequel to Assassin’s Creed 2, Brotherhood, in November, with a break for the series for 2011, according to the developer.

CEO Yves Guilemot refused to confirm whether or not we’ll see an Assassin’s Creed game next year, though.

The publisher’s recently-opened Toronto studio, meanwhile, is working on two AAA titles: one unknown, the other a new Splinter Cell game, with the core team from Conviction being brought in to work on the project.

It’s also rebooting the Driver series early next year with Driver: San Francisco, after buying the rights to the IP and developer Reflections from Atari back in 2006.

Breaking news

8 Comments

Sign in to post a comment.

  1. mington

    Maybe Beyond good and Evil 2 will end up being a next gen launch title. I hope so actually.

    You heard it hear first

    #1 4 years ago
  2. The Hindle

    Yea VG staff maybe this is something you could ask Ubisoft next time you interview someone from them, will Beyond Good and Evil 2 be released this generation?

    #2 4 years ago
  3. Quiiick

    So no “I Am Alive” for this generation of consoles?

    #3 4 years ago
  4. SplatteredHouse

    No new IP to be released…BG&E (2) isn’t a new IP, though, I Am Alive, may just fall under that heading. Please, ask about IAA, the next time opportuinty arises, VG.

    #4 4 years ago
  5. alimokrane

    Ubisoft Toronto is working on Splinter Cell, that’s confirmed. I bet the other title is another Prince of Persia and hopefully this time a proper sequel to the 2008 pop or another reboot. Ancel is taking care of BG&E2 at Ubisoft Paris, I believe.

    I am Alive might be the victim of this though…. who knows since it’s already sort of announced so it doesn’t count as a new IP anymore and we might get to see it. Here is top hoping!

    #5 4 years ago
  6. Bringit

    So what about Innergy? Dust? Child of Eden? ManiaPlanet?

    Alain Corre = wally

    #6 4 years ago
  7. CrashKeks

    About Beyond Good & Evil 2: there’s a new status news http://www.derwesten.de/leben/games/Beyond-Good-Evil-2-Statusbericht-id3636292.html

    #7 4 years ago
  8. soqquatto

    I Am Alive could resurface as Imagine: I am Alivez or Tom Clancy’s I Am Alive or Prince of Persia: I Am Alive – The Untold Unrelated Contemporary Tale. it’s not like Ubisoft is shy about milking its IPS.

    #8 4 years ago