Twisted Metal will have split-screen online, won’t support Move or 3D

Friday, 23rd July 2010 23:49 GMT By Johnny Cullen

twistedmetal

Eat, Sleep, Play boss David Jaffe has confirmed tonight during a ComicCon panel that Twisted Metal will support split-screen online.

He also admitted though that the game won’t support 3D or PlayStation Move, which, according to G4, went down with a rapturous reception when announced.

Jaffe also said the studio is “interested” in DLC, although wouldn’t be mor be specific on what that meant, including the addition of characters.

Unrevealed concepts for the game was also shown during the panel, including Twisted Metal: Apocalypse, as previously revealed earlier this week by Jaffe on his blog.

You can get the lowdown on what happened at the panel here.

Twisted Metal releases next year on PS3.

1. onlineatron

Whilst I think MOVE could benefit the title (Nav for steering, Ball for aiming weapons), 3D would almost definitely hurt it.

Eat, Sleep, Play need to spruce up the graphics a tad before launch. Call me a ‘graphics whore’ but I always find a game that is easy on the eye inspires more incentive to explore the world and invest time in the gameplay.

2. OlderGamer

I am not a 3D fan by any stretch but this seems like just the high energy easy to pick up and play game that 3D could use to get talkers talking and create that all important buzz that sells games.

After playing a fair amount of the Wii, I can tell you that very few games will binifit from MOVE. And most of those will be pick up and play sports games and mini games.

Racers can work, look at Mario Kart, but they aren’t enhanced by the control unless your 6 years old or are a none gamer impressed by how far this technology stuff has come. Most experieced gamers will want the perciese control offered by a control pad.

3. LOLshock94

i dont get why ppl get hyped over this game i personaly think this could get very boring just lyk LBP

4. ExclusivesMostly

@3: LBP Boring? Please, you must be smoking something.

5. stretch215

Flame bait

6. Robo_1

“After playing a fair amount of the Wii, I can tell you that very few games will binifit from MOVE.”

A bit presumptuous that. I’ve also played a lot of Wii over the years, and I think the pointer control system adds a lot to a game. Any FPS game which supports Move I will likely buy for that reason alone, let alone genres which will be improved immeasurably by the input, such as RTS’s.

Everyone’s mileage will vary, but Move support will be a significant selling point for me.

7. LOLshock94

what so ur telling me u can play for an 1 hour and not get bored if so what are u smoking

8. OlderGamer

“and I think the pointer control system adds a lot to a game.”

Me too, I love my PC.

The trouble with WiiMotes and Move is your arm gets tired. And you have to just about sit ontop of the screen to get the acurcy you need. I am sure you have bought into the Move > Wii idea.

But I am not convinced.

In order for something to be worth it gamewise, it needs to improve/enchance my game experience. Beyond the novel game experience here and there the Wii has proven several times over it doesn’t do that.

It has also proven several times over that motion controls atract casual games. Mini games and other such fodder.

In both cases the idea behind them is neat and even compeling(everyone I demod my new Wii to, bought their own shortly after), but once the novelty wears off your left with emptyness.

Sony is selling us on the idea that Move will somehow be a force for the hardcore gamer. But some o us are forgeting the very driving force behind the conception of Move to begin with – that is the overwhelming sales of the Wii.

Make no mistakes about this. Move is a Wii rip off.

I really think that Move will be inline to controling Cuddly Bears then Mordern Warfare 2. I have read the claims. But I will sit back and see what happens first.

This post was about a car combat game. That wouldn’t be terrible idea to use Move. But lemme ask you, how?

On the Wii, you turn the Mote sideways and tilt it to stear. Do you really think that a Geomatry Wars style (thumb stick in one hand, pointing to shoot in the other) will feel natural and fit well with a driving game? I don’t.

It would feel like a poorly done floaty shooter, and these cars don’t have 360dg turret guns mounted on top(all of them). It just wouldn’t make any sense.

Look, I can see this Move/Kinects thing getting way too carried away. It reminds me of PSone/N64…the battle cry back then was “Now in 3D”. Most games were poorly exicuted, 3D worlds didn’t come into fruition till a gen later, and even today, with hits like Street Fighter iV to Castle Crashers to New Super Mario bros to Shadow Complex to a host of popular handheld games, we can see that the 2D market is still viable.

My point being is that so much engery time and rescources went into shifting games into 3D worlds, that for a while we all but lost 2d gaming.

Same trends today. Move, Wii Mote, Kinects, 3D gaming, casual gaming, social networking. In many ways the hobby that we have gron to love is under so much pressure to change and grow that it may soon be something we don’t recognize. And all of it is less aimed at enhancing/expanding/improving the video game entertainment side of things, and instead aimed at expanding markets and increasing cash flows.

Move is not the end all be all of video gaming evil.

However its like a cyanne pepper. A nice spice, but shouldn’t be in every dish. I wouldn’t go out of my way to look for reasons/excuses to change the way I play my games because of Move.

9. DrDamn

Old! http://www.vg247.com/2010/06/21/twisted-metal-wont-support-3d-or-ps-move/

10. Robo_1

“The trouble with WiiMotes and Move is your arm gets tired.”

Unless you’re playing non stop sessions of Just Dance, that’s some of the worst FUD the Wii ever suffered from. It was nonsense when the Wii was announced, and it’s still nonsense now.

The physical requirement of tilting or pointing the Wiimote to control a traditional game is negligible. In fact when playing the Wii, I often find that my arms relax into a more natural position in my lap, thanks to the two separate parts of the controls. This makes playing a game more comfortable if anything.

I’m not going to try and talk you into appreciating motion controls, but I do think that much of your scepticism is ill-founded. Either way, you’re enjoyment of motion controls in games is no different to preferring certain genres over another, and certainly not worth getting hot under the collar about.

“Make no mistakes about this. Move is a Wii rip off.”

On the face of it, sure. It’s similar in both its design and ability and it’s presence on the market is unquestionably a reaction to the success Nintendo has enjoyed with the Wii, but if you dig a little deeper, there are key differences in both the hardware itself and philosophy behind the product.

Without wanting to sound like a corporate drone, Move is much more precise than the Wiimote, able to accurately track the Z axis as well as X and Y. In the right hands, this alone will result in motion controlled experiences which are unique to Move (just look at the sword fighting demo for starters). Crucially though, Move comes equipped with a camera, which brings with it many of the augmented reality features already demonstrated, along with head tracking, voice commands etc.

Now whilst I would stand by those as significant differences between Move and Wii, what will make far more difference is SCE and worldwide studios. What Sony will bring to Move, are first party games specifically aimed at showing how traditional gaming experiences can be played with motion controls, fully utilising the aforementioned enhancements that Move brings. Sure there’s the party games mixed in with it all, but having enjoyed games like Red Steel and No More Heroes on Wii, I’m very keen to see how big budget games like Killzone 3 and Socom 4 turn out.

“Beyond the novel game experience here and there the Wii has proven several times over it doesn’t do that.”

Again, you’re speaking as if this is a proven undeniable fact. Would games like Wii Sports, Super Mario Galaxy, Mad World, Red Steel 2, Flower or even party games like Just Dance be comparable experiences on a pad? We’re going to get into a very grey area when defining what’s a novelty and what’s a key differentiator to how a game plays, but I can say that from the above examples listed, the motions required to control the action on screen brings not just an added level of immersion to the experience, but are often what makes the game so fun/satisfying to play.

Motion controls certainly aren’t suitable for every game, and I think they should remain an optional control scheme for most traditional game types. But if developers want to offer me the option of playing their new game with motion controls, or want to design games completely for them, then from what I’ve seen on Wii – I’m on board.

I’m now off to make myself a cayenne pepper powered curry… also good with scrambled eggs, tuna mayonnaise and you’ve not lived until you’ve experienced chilli ice cream. ;)

11. DrDamn

I think the crucial difference for me between the Move and Wiimote is that Move is not the primary controller for the console. Therefore in a lot of cases it’s going to add options to games where applicable, not have genres shoehorned in to the controller. The wiimote had to be the primary controller for the Wii, that was a key strength. It doesn’t have to be that way with the Move though.

The Wii has demonstrated a number of games where the controller adds to the game experience. Stuff like Wii sports, Boom Blox, World of Goo, Tiger Woods – things that can be applied to core gaming experiences. It also demonstrated that it’s not the controller for all games. So the Move fits in nicely for me.

12. OlderGamer

Just for the record, I plan to buy Move at some point.

I already own a cam(got it with Eye of Judgment), and figure the wand thingie shouldn’t be too bad, esp if it get bundled with a game or two.

Due to the stupid price tag of Kinect, I will not be trying that out at all. But Move isn’t gonna be too bad.

Like you said for some games like Sports stuff, Golf, bowling, tennis, etc the motion controls are fun. I wouldn’t be able to play all day like that that, but it is fun for awhile. even better if you have friends and family playing with you.

My main point in this thread was that I caution against making Move intgreted into too many things. It shouldn’t, imo, be a replacment for the way we play games. Otherwise we may see a day when game companies feel they can make more cash cattering to casual/gimmick/motion controls and our PS3/xb360 software line ups will mirrior the line we now have on the Wii.

If that day gets here I will become a 100% PC gamer.