PC: Mafia II includes Steamworks, pre-orders get original game

Wednesday, 21st July 2010 16:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

mafia II

Valve has announced 2K’s Mafia II on PC will ship with Steamworks, and those who pre-order the game digitally, will be able to download and play the original Mafia for free.

The PC version with Steamworks will, of course, auto-update the game and come with Steam Achievements, statistics, downloadable content, and more.

Customers who pre-order the standard or Digital Deluxe Edition of Mafia II through select digital retailers, including Steam, will also be given a free digital copy of the original Mafia game that they can access and play now.

“Using Steamworks to power Mafia II has been a great benefit for 2K Games and our development team,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “It’s meant that we can spend more time creating content and a great experience for our customers because we know that Steam and Steamworks are enabling these important features within the game.”

Mafia II will be available in North America on August 24 and internationally beginning August 27 on PS3 and 360 as well.

Get the game’s recommended PC specs through here, and check out our interview with producers Alex Cox and Jarek Kolar here.

1. Erthazus

Steamworks, PhysX. Awesome.

2. AHA-Lambda

actually thats quite tempting :)

3. DeSpiritusBellum

I’d say that’s the worst deluxe edition since Mass Effect 2. On the other hand that just makes them easy to avoid.

4. loki

Steamworks, PhysX. PC. Sucks

5. walk_star

The original Mafia has an 88 on Metacritic. Seems like a good deal to me, most preorders offer you nothing but gleeful anticipation

6. fdelfino

loki always trolling. If you hate pc so much, why botter commenting?

7. Yoshi

I was guna get this for PS3 but now i may have to get it for PC :P

8. DeSpiritusBellum

@5 Wow, I’m shocked that it scored so high. It wasn’t a complete trainwreck, but it was riddled with bugs, the cars were agonizingly slow and far in between. I put it down as hopeless after an hour or so.

I’ve started doubting whether I actually played the console version seeing that, though.

9. Erthazus

@8 I’m sorry, what game you played at 2003? It was a masterpiece at it’s time.

Slow cars? Because they supposed to be slow at 1930. There are also sport cars for your info.

If you wanted from Mafia GTA experience than it’s a wrong direction. Game at that time was phenomenon. Maybe you played console versions. Many of the features of the PC version do not exist in the console port, such as police patrols around the city, and some aspects of the game’s realism and graphics

and 88% at that time is like for today’s 98%. Game was absolutely fantastic.

10. DeSpiritusBellum

@9 Actually the cars aren’t supposed to be anything, except what the game designers want them to be. It’s a design decision.

If you look at a game like The Saboteur, you have excellently paced cars of virtually the same era. That makes for some fun gameplay, as opposed to chugging along in a realistic Ford Model A.

But that being said – Yeah, it could have been the console version.

11. xxJPRACERxx

Mafia 1 (on PC) is one of the best game EVER! It is so immersive. I’m very happy that they offer it free when you pre-order the 2nd one that this is what I’m gonna do right now!

And about slow cars and design decision. The team decided to go with a realistic approach and at the time cars were slow.

12. Stephany Nunneley

On the cars – according to the chat we had with the Mafia II guys at GDC, players will be able to either drive the cars like they really were during that era, or go at a more modern pace. Authenticity vs faster jalopies – accommodation for the masses!! It’s a good thing :)

13. Gundam

I have to agree with Erthazus on this, the first Mafia game was stellar. (not to spite SpiritusB from our other posts ;) )

Admittedly the cars were pretty dull to drive around in at the beginning of the game but the more success you garnered as a gangster in the ‘Mafia’ the more money and better cars you had to play about with in the mid-to-late game. The story was great if a little plagiarised but this deal on Steam is definetly worth it for people that haven’t played the first title and are seriously considering buying the 2nd.

Having played this and GTA 3 at the time to see what the noise surrounding it was about I’d pick ‘Mafia’ as a better game any day of the week.

…And then ‘Vice City’ came out and blew all competition out of the water.

14. Hunam

The first Mafia is one of the finest games ever made, shonky cars and all. It came out when I was 16 and just starting to get into games past the instant thrills of mutliplayer counter-strike (yep, I was one of those 14/15 year old ninja’s :P) this was one that stuck out. One of the first games I ever really dove right into the story off as before then I often skipped cutscenes and text to go right to the killing. Mafia just blew me away with how amazing everything was and really hit home how good a game can be.

This one is looking to hit me the same way again, now if I can just decide which platform I’ll buy it on :S

15. DeSpiritusBellum

@12 Oh, I loves me some fast jalopies.