The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword gets debut E3 trailer, screens

Wednesday, 16th June 2010 12:09 GMT By Johnny Cullen

zeldaartmain

There you have it. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword finally got its formal reveal yesterday at Nintendo’s press conference, with the firm releasing the debut trailer from that reveal as well as screens. It’s after the break.

The trailer shows off the more serious Link in a kinda cel-shaded way. We dig it.

Miyamoto described how the story works in Skyward Sword last night during his roundtable. Get everything that happened here.

The game releases next year for Wii.

1. Erthazus

I was disapointed with Zelda if you ask me.

First of all the demonstration failed and second, just look at the trees…

2. Blerk

I was excited when I heard it was cel-shaded until I actually saw it. It’s horrible.

Hopefully there’s still a hell of a lot of work to do on it before release. :-(

3. dirigiblebill

I think ‘horrible’ is a bit strong, but it certainly looks a little generic in places.

4. varsas

I read somewhere the art style is influenced by Cezanne: http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Cezanne-fine-art-692307_1280_1024.jpg

I quite like it; the forest image looks lovely.

5. DrDamn

Those screens are designed for print hence a little dubious in construction. The vid gives a better idea of what it currently looks like. It’s looking nice – I found Twilight Princess very murky and fuzzy. Sorcery has me more interested though – seems that is a game designed around a controller rather than a controller inserted into an established game.

6. Erthazus

@5 I was impressed by Sorcery, but problem is that it’s still not enough deep. Sorcery powers were fucking brilliant, but thats not much.

Move for now is with one good Sorcery game and with tons of ports that i can enjoy with the basic controller.

7. frostquake

I am officially Calling it…..Drum Roll Please
    Nintendo came in first this year,
    Sony Came in Second,
    and Microsoft well they really didn’t come in third, they came in way behind that…dead last. That actually surprised me. The messed up circus and white poncho commercial that they showed on Logo, even in edit form looked horrible. Then the here is Kinect and lets watch pretend families playing, was horrible and oh yeah here is bulletstorm and gears 3, but wait come here and Watch me Bowl on Kinect…and then Kinect has Star Wars, the only problem is they have Storm Troopers from Ep.4 mixed in with Droids and Vehicles from Ep.1.
    MS completely snubbed the Hard Core Crowd. Hell Limbo is an XBLA title and I wanted more of that then Kinect. Heck even that Move Game Sorcery looked cool and made me just want to play the game, even without the Move system, Kinect had nothing New to show at all…

So….
    Nintendo, Sony, and then dead last Microsoft…

8. Anders

I quite like the graphics. Looks very nice in motion, at least.

9. spiderLAW

I absolutely love the art direction they chose for this new Zelda.
    To me a brings out what Zelda is all about and that is “Fantasy Adeventure”. I loved Twilight Princess and it was a cool art direction but it was to dark and grungey for me to feel like it was Truly Zelda. If you look at all the Zelda titles, you will notice a common between them and thats Bright, Vibrant colors with lots of shine. Even in the dungeons on most of the Zelda titles there are lights of vivd Blues, Reds, Oranges, Yellows and Greens. The Zelda that is arguably the best Zelda, Ocarina of Time, was great because of the beautiful atmosphere (that and the awesome gameplay).
    Anyways…sum it all up: This art direction will only increase the fun factor and level of immersion that any gamer willing to give it a chance can experience.

10. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Looks like a step backwards to me..

11. spiderLAW

Well
    Now i can look foward to the next Zelda (better be in H friggin D, damn it) having a more realistic tone with an intense level of graphics (being on a new console with more capabilities). I think if they had gone the route of Twilight Princess again, we all would have been fairly disappointed in the low level of graphics that the Wii is capable of pushing out.

hmmm… question then. Was Mario Sunshine’s art direction a step back from Mario 64?