Radiohead’s Jonny Greenwood a massive RDR, ICO fan

Thursday, 3rd June 2010 22:54 GMT By Johnny Cullen

jonny greenwood

Yes, that Jonny Greenwood. As in arguably the best guitar player of our generation. That Jonny Greenwood.

In an office chart that is different to all the others posted on the band’s blog Dead Air Space – it normally consists of what the band would be listening to – the lead guitarist of Radiohead revealed what he was playing recently, some of which include recent titles like Red Dead Redemption for PS3.

Plus, classic titles like Half-Life 1 and 2 for Mac and PS3.

He also admitted that of all the games on the list altogether, which included Braid, two Zelda titles (yes, OoT was included) and the original Goldeneye to name a few, his overall favourite was ICO.

If we were you Jonny, we’d best keep an eye on a major event coming up soon: E3. And something called the Team ICO Collection.

Get the full lot here.

Now, get on the phone to Harmonix and get Radiohead: Rock Band sorted! We’re dying to play The Bends and OK Computer on a plastic guitar.

1. AHA-Lambda

I now feel bad for not having a clue who he is =/

2. Johnny Cullen

It’s actually two years ago this Sunday I seen Radiohead at Malahide Castle in Dublin.

He was absolutely ama-fucking-zing, alongside the rest of the band. Honestly incredible.

3. Enkeixpress

… Alright.

4. The Hindle

Radiohead have to be the most depressing band in history of music, seriously they are a bunch of millionares yet act all depressed.

5. Johnny Cullen

Ten years ago, maybe.

Now? Not really.

6. The Hindle

Pfft ive listened to In rainbows imo, i find them hypocritical to be honest they have it all yet like to get people to feel sorry for them cant stand them if you havnt reliased lol .

7. onlineatron

This just cements Radiohead as being the best thing that has ever existed in the entirety of existence.

Bigger than Molecules

8. ShiroGamer

oh dear ….

9. The Hindle

Listen to Presidents of the Usa specifically Dune Buggy, its about a spider riding a dunebuggy through the desert its awesome :D

10. Petulant Radish

@4 Then you haven’t listened to much music then

11. The Hindle

@10 i have and Radiohead are depressing i found.

12. marijnlems

The Jonny Greenwood – Red Dead Redemption connection: there is an area in the game (an oil refinery, actually) called Plainview. This is a reference to the film There Will Be Blood, for which Greenwood did the soundtrack.

No, I don’t know what my point is. I just like to show off I guess.

13. OlderGamer

Wha .. really? I mean REALLY best … of your generation?

Really?

I know I am older(says so in the name), but that means I have seen/heard the best pickers of the modern age. Some amazing players … from EVERY generation.

I am sorry … what generation are we talking about again?

And, and I understand that say Slash started awhile ago, but in my mind because he still plays new music and because he still matters … I mean you see where I am going with that one. Right?

And I get it, we could pull out the great bands from Stones, Doors, Beatles, Zeplin right on thro stopping at from everywhere from Boston, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden to Guns n Roses(theres that Slash guy), Metallica, Skid Row, to to to to

Ah hell:

If you think this fella is the best your generation has to offer, your generation doesn’t offer much or, well I just don’t know….

..do I even know who Jonny Greenwood is?

Nope.

Heard of the band tho. Went and gave em listening to. Is he good? as in talanted? Yes.

Amazing?

lol

14. Pyrix

‘As in arguably the best guitar player of our generation.’

*looks at author of article*

I detect possible bias.

15. onlineatron

@OlderGamer

It isn’t necessarily that Greenwood is technically proficient (although he is). He’s not a Satriani that will craft guitar solo odysseys by exploiting every note on a fretboard…. It’s more to do with the way he plays it; the sounds he creates via the guitar and effects pedals etc.

He is quite incredible.

16. Boris Fett

Nah, that would be Muse.

But the man’s favourite game is Ico? He’s clearly got taste. It’s small letters BTW Johnny, not capitalised.

17. OlderGamer

I’m just being a sh!t tonight.

But claiming someone is the best Guitar player is a broad claim.

And it prolly is my age, to be honest, but maybe it is the way that music has changed over the ages too. However when talking about axemen it seems fewer and fewer of them stand out. Like I said it is prolly the different musical focuses/stylings.

Imagine trying to find a great guitar player during the disco age. Or the Grunge days. Music has gone thro so many changes …

But anyways I am sure he has fans.

But he isn’t in the same class as Jimmy Paige, Clapton, May, Slash, and so on.

18. Cort

Speaking as a guitar player, Greenwood is indeed something special. He plays with a tremendous energy and intensity yet has crafted some of the most pleasingly and hauntingly melodious guitar work of the past twenty years. It is easy to forget he is a highly accomplished pianist also.

Two of my favourites:

19. Cort

…and speaking as a huge GnR fan and as someone who plays the songs of both bands, Greenwood is easily in the same class as Slash and is the more proficient musician of the two.

20. hoodlum

The guy has good taste in games. I think the only bad thing I can really say about Radiohead and Jonny is that they influenced some really corny bands currently flooding the airwaves. Bands like Travis, Coldplay, Keane and Muse to name a few. In fairness those bands are more to blame than anything, they took what Radiohead did years ago and basically made it friendly for kids and soccer moms to listen to. But who am I kidding, Jonny Greenwood can do no wrong…he composed the brilliant soundtrack for There Will Be Blood. So all is forgiven.

21. HighWindXIX

Shouldn’t the last line of this story read “We’re dying to play The Bends and OK Computer on a FAKE plastic guitar?” ; )

22. Erthazus

He got a very good taste.

23. Johnny Cullen

@21 :D

24. tenthousandgothsonacid

I notice JG’s playing RDR on the ps3. I think he’d like Flower.

And whilst I’m pretty indifferent to Muse, Matt Bellamy is without doubt the best guitar player of this generation.

25. itsucks

So the dude is a fan of inferior versions… that explains radiohead decline, then.

26. The Hindle

Cant believe there is no love for Tom Morello on here or Johnny Marr or John Frushiante all way better then Greenwood.

27. Johnny Cullen

While I have the upmost respect for Johnny Marr – not realy a Chillis person, and I haven’t listened to RATM in years (bar when Killing in the Name of was on the radio) – no one can beat Greenwood.

Not Bellamy, not even Thom Yorke. No one. Definitely no one in the past ten years anyways.

28. mington

Dragon force innit \o/

i saw Dave Navarro with Janes addiction that was good
    Mastodon and opeth as well
    dillinger escape plan really takes the biscuit

the guitar players were going fucking mental, yet the music sounded CD perfect

29. OlderGamer

The Dragon Force guys can shred for sure. I don’t know their names, but wow.

I think we should keep in mind that style of music is as important as if the guy/girl can take playing to a higher level. I don’t care who you are if your playing on a Miley Cirus or Talyer Swift song, your not going to be able to display what ya got.

Tom Morello is impresive too, but I never liked Rage Against The Machine. I did enjoy him in Audioslave with Chris Cornell. So yea it isn’t always the talent but the style of music people remember and ultimatly judge by.

And there are more great players that we will never hear then ones we have.

I tend to like the classics, yep, I am older.

In my mind no one tops guys like BB King, Paige, Clapton and yup Slash(go listen to his new stuff 04/06/10) and a very few more.

Always room near the top for players I haven’t heard yet. But only the truely special ones get into that elite group at the very top.

30. Tallon 4

My (guitar) hero: Pete Townshend

Mind you, it’s no typo

31. onlineatron

I’ve never thought that ‘being good at guitar’ is akin to being able to ‘shread’.

I know many people who can solo, finger pull, pinch harmonic, speed pick etc with the best of them… But when it comes to creating flow, interesting sounds and melodic achievement they fall flat on their face.

32. rdp1983

Shredding is mindless power chords and hammer-on finger-tapping for the most part, there are a few exceptions to this rule; Randy Rhodes being chief amongst those. Jonny is a composer more than anything else. His guitar can be off-beat and his playing of guitar has diminished in frequency over the years, but he is the main musical force in Radiohead. The band doesn’t go without Thom, but the band isn’t one of the greatest in history without Jonny.

People who say Radiohead sounds depressing have been around since the band has been out. I’ve never heard it in their music. Their music is usually somber, but the message is mostly optimistic; that we can actually change things. Just because Thom isn’t singing about cloud cars and daisies doesn’t mean they are depressing. Even if it were depressing, how is that a bad thing? Not everything in life is happy. A lot of our modern era is horrific. Oh, Red Dead Redemption is amazing, nearly forgot to say.

33. manamana