Jaffe hints at Twisted Metal reboot during AIAS awards

Friday, 19th February 2010 07:57 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Twisted Metal

David Jaffe may have confirmed he’s working on a Twisted Metal reboot, speaking at DICE’s AIAS awards last night.

When someone from the crowd shouted “Twisted Metal,” the Eat, Sleep, Play boss responded: “Soon, bitch – eight or nine months.”

The timeframe could point to a release in either October or November.

Yesterday, Jaffe said at DICE that the next game was a mix “somewhere between God of War and Calling All Cars”.

Thanks, 1UP.

1. The Juice707

Just my opinion, but I do not see the appeal in pre-existing or future Twisted Metal games.

2. Erthazus

@1 Because you don’t know what is this game for now.

3. DrDamn

You can’t see the appeal in a driving game with guns and missiles? Sure it may not be your thing but you really can’t see why other people would like it?

4. NGCes26294BIV

@3 No, I really don’t see the appeal.

Moreover, what’s the big deal about David Jaffe anyway? I mean, God of War was great, but not exactly original. And considering he no longer works with the GoW devs, I don’t see how his future projects are that exciting.

Twisted Metal – again – good game, but no more the cars-with-guns from a concept standpoint.

Oh, and CaC was exactly that.

5. pumpkinhead303

first off your an idiot. Jaffe is the shit.

6. pumpkinhead303

yes i aware of the spelling errors in my last post. sorry and thank you.

7. GemmaIy

Did you use a help of a paper writing service for your distinguished topic? I guess that you really have unique college essay writing skills. Thank you very much for this!

8. Len

LOL…is that the best timed bot response ever…?

9. SplatteredHouse

Hehe, yes that was great timing, wasn’t it :p
    Also worth remembering comments about how Jaffe said he’d approach a new Twisted Metal: from the angle of it being a top-down reboot, made as if no-one knew about the games of the past (but also, not being constrained by expectation led by them!)
    When it is shown, it may look different to what people expect.

10. NGCes26294BIV

@pumpkinhead303

Learn to spell. Learn to write. Learn to structure sentences. Learn how to insult people properly. Learn about game development. Learn the word ‘originality’ and learn its meaning.

THEN, and only then, can you come to me and start ranting like a five year old about a guy you don’t know from Adam.

“man i’m pretty sick of people that have no idea what their talking about”

You and me both mate. Turns out that 127 other people worked on the first God of War. How much of the game do you suspect Jaffe was directly responsible for producing?

Yeah. Now tell me something about game history.

11. DrDamn

Ok so it wasn’t the best composed argument in the world, but I have to come back to this. You seriously cannot see why a driving game with guns would appeal to anyone? (Not you – but other gamers in general). It’s the obvious marriage of two fundamental gaming genres.

12. ianbenoir

i’ll join the club “We don’t need another Twisted Metal”.
    I’ve tried all of twisted metal games… They were all terrible. Cars with gun are simply no fun! well.. its fun on the first ten minutes, but then its all the same… u keep firing and firing until it explodes, the end, next car..
    It’s the clown! I hate the clown! Its stupid and not commercial.

we need a new Destruction Derby! That was fun! I can’t believe that Burnout and the guys from criterion forgot about the fun of massive destruction on the last game.

13. NGCes26294BIV

Sure, I imagine plenty of people love the idea, but for me, no.

While shooting and driving are two very popular genres, I don’t think they marry together very well. Cars can be fun to drive, and it’s frun to shoot from a FP perspective, but shooting and driving simultaneously is just a bit… meh.

I’m sure it can be done well, but I’m not convinced this is it.

14. DrDamn

Ok fair enough. I loved the first Twisted Metal, I think the series lost it’s way a little from there though. The biggest issue with the genre as a whole is as a single player game it wasn’t that much fun. In todays more online aware market I think it could work very well as a largely MP game.

15. Dr.Ghettoblaster

At the time Twisted Metal 1 was released on PS1, it was incredibly original and extremely fun. I did’t care for all the sequels (Black was…..ok…), but I have to say I am intrigued by a possible “re-boot” of the franchise.

I honestly think since the “concept” of what Twisted Metal is at core, the gameplay will have to remain very similar to that of the original. Having said that, the big draw on this new one should be on never before seen kick ass next generation graphics with awseome and nearly perfectly designed enviornments.

Hell, I’m still waiting for them to put TM1 in the PSN Store. I liked TM1 more than TM2 (which is available, I know).

16. RGW1982

Twisted Metal Will Be HUGE On The PS3, To Think Otherwise Is A Sign Of Retardation.

Twisted Metal 1 & 2, As Well As Twisted Metal: Black OWNED, Twisted Metal 3 & 4 Were Done By A Different Company & Were Horrible Games Like Jet Moto 3 Was Compared To Jet Moto 1 & 2.