DICE: There’s “no profit” made from rented BFBC2 servers

Saturday, 16th January 2010 18:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

bfbc2

DICE has explained that it does not receive a profit from the rental servers players of Bad Company 2 will have to use to the play the game.

When shipped, the game will be missing files that players would use to build dedicated servers. Instead, the community will need to rent one from a list of “authorized hosts” present in “all regions of the world”.

BFBC2 producer, Gordon Van Dyke, told Eurogamer that this is to “protect the game’s integrity on PC”.

“This does not earn DICE a profit,” he said. “But we will see where the game goes and support it post launch.”

Previous entries into the Battlefield franchise allowed dedicated servers built and hosted by community members.

Back in November, DICE was quick to point out that it would have dedicated servers for its game, when Infinity Ward rival, Modern Warfare 2 was revealed to use IWnet for online play.

The public PC Beta for BFBC2 opens January 28 and runs through February 25.

Game’s out March 5.

1. onlineatron

SHE WAS JUST SEVENTEEN, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!…

2. Psychotext

The way she looked, was way beyond compare.

3. Grimrita

We at timelessgaming.com rent our servers right now. Providing that the servers arent as shit as those like with Left For dead 2, all should be good.

I have no problems paying a bit extra for a game I throughly enjoy (like BF2142)and hopefully BC2

4. Stephany Nunneley

Sorry. I guess I’m too dense to get the Beatles reference?

5. No_PUDding

Me too….

6. Psychotext

I don’t know what he’s going on about… I just felt like joining in (secretly hoping that we could get the entire song posted!)

7. onlineatron

That was my hope too… I wrote it before heading out and expected to see the whole song posted today =P.

8. Bulk Slash

I don’t think Beatles Rock Band sold well enough for that.

9. onlineatron

Oh sorry… I forgot ‘The Beatles Rock Band’ was the only Beatles product ever released.

10. MushroomStamp

Typically the only people that listen to the Beatles are over 45… well, unless you live in the UK maybe.

11. Flonkin

Yeah, because all we do over here in the UK is listen to the beatles whilst eating a crumpet, with a big mug of tea in one hand, saluting the queen with the other.

12. Psychotext