New Assassin’s Creed for FY2011, ACII pushes through 6M units

Wednesday, 13th January 2010 17:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

asscreed2a

Ubisoft’s confirmed that a new Assassin’s Creed game is to release in its coming fiscal year.

It’ll be the first in the series to have an online multiplayer mode.

The company also said today that Assassin’s Creed II has exceeded the 6 million units sold mark, and fully expects the title to reach 9 million sell-in units by March 2010.

While it didn’t go into any detail on the new AC game, the company did point to a more focused console outlook in the 12 months starting April 2010.

“The 2010-11 line-up will be more focused on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, the consoles which are expected to experience sustained sales growth in games for gamers in calendar 2010,” said the firm in a press release.

“Other new franchises and innovations will also be announced throughout the year.”

1. Gekidami

Multiplayer? What?

2. AHA-Lambda

WTF?!?!

3. humanfish

I think thr $ symbol isn’t relevent ;) If they had only made $6m i’d be worried lol How many did the original sell? More then 9m?

4. FeaturePreacher

Multiplayer!? Yeah!!!

5. Gheritt White

First sold between seven and eight million units worldwide. I really hope that this game does nine *at least*. It is fucking mint, after all.

6. Stephany Nunneley

@3 – it was just while hurrying to get this up is all. It’s been fixed. $6M units sold doesn’t make much sense ;-)

7. Hunam

Yeah, the first was around 8, Ubi expect around 2 pre-launch I think. AC changed the entire company :P

8. Alakratt

OMFG MP DLC!!! Certainly didn’t expect this!

9. onlineatron

Kotaku are reporting the Multiplayer Stuff as an addition to the Sequel…. not DLC.

Well at least that’s how I read it.

‘and a new episode of Assassin’s Creed, which will be the first in the series to have an online multiplayer mode’

I dunno… take a look and kick Kotaku’s butt!

10. Stephany Nunneley

I saw that. We are finding that hard to believe ATM, but I’ve sent a mail off to Ubi asking for clarification.

11. Syrok

I will just wait for the almost inevitable Goty edition then. :)

12. onlineatron

IGN says this….

‘Ubisoft has clarified, saying this is a new title featuring Ezio, and is not an expansion for Assassin’s Creed 2, but could not provide further details.’

Which sounds iffy to me.
    As far as I’m concerned Ezio’s purpose was served in ACII and I hope we get another new setting and character for the next game.

13. Stephany Nunneley

If it was a new title, it would not have been called an “episode” in the press release. Plus, DLC has been toted for the title since its inception. Everyone needs to remain calm until we hear back.

If it’s an entirely new game, I will eat my hat live on YouTube for all the world to see.

/plans to back out of that promise should the unlikely come to pass.

EDIT: read reneged promise – fucking hell. Canning my 900 psychic line service idea now.

14. AHA-Lambda

Wait it’s a sequel but not a sequel?? What’s going on?

15. Stephany Nunneley

I’ve sent a mail. Waiting is the hardest part. Ugh.

16. SplatteredHouse

Episodes, as per Valve’s definition, or George Lucas’?

17. Stephany Nunneley

Fuck if I know. /throws hands up

You can never provide too much detail in certain situations. Honestly.

18. Raini

Since Assassin’s Creed has always been seen as a series of games (three, to be precise), it would make sense for Ubi to call them episodes. But I agree, not a good choice of words. ;)

19. AHA-Lambda

@ 17 – So ubi themselves probly don’t know then right? :P

20. Stephany Nunneley

No, they know. But when the news broke two minutes before the official PR came out, everyone was assuming and rightly so that the “episode” in question was some more of the promised DLC Ubi has been on about for months – not an entirely new game. The word “episode” is usually consistent with an “extension” or an incident in the course of a series of events within the main story or digressing from it.

Else, an episode on the television would be called something else entirely.

21. Patrick Garratt

It’s a new game. I’ve edited it.

22. AHA-Lambda

@ 20 – so what about all that talk of AC3 having WWII and a female assassin? I’m guessing this isn’t actually AC3 then right? This’ll be more of a spin off?

23. Yoshi

I thought it would have been somethin like the GTA4 episodes but a new game this early… im scared :( they could ruin the whole thing if they fuck it up

24. onlineatron

@Steph

So… ‘I will eat my hat live on YouTube for all the world to see.’

Camera at the ready ey? =P

25. onlineatron

@Yoshi

I share your concerns, especially if the game is about Ezio again…

In ACII I always felt his story was just a vessel for Desmond’s. But if they continue with Ezio it stands to mess with what the series is all about (exploring new locations/countries/time periods).

That said… IGN only said the game is ‘featuring Ezio’. Perhaps he’s not playable and is on his death bed?

26. The Hindle

I doubbt it will be Ac 3 more like Ac 2 extended etc. And dam Ubisoft you better announce Beyond good and evil 2 in the next year

27. The Hindle

Also i notice no I am alive on thier list, hmm cancelled or out late next year is a certain now

28. onlineatron

@Hindle

Was I Am Alive ever shown to the press behind close doors?

I remember people being excited about it (GT gave it some awards) after we only saw the trailer… is there something i’m missing?

29. AHA-Lambda

I think ubi has just forgot about that game now >_>

@28 – I don’t believe it was tho I maybe wrong :|

30. Stephany Nunneley

@ 24 – read post #13 :p

31. Yoshi

I can already hear Steph munching on that hat XD

32. Stephany Nunneley

:-D

33. onlineatron

What sorta hat you got Steph?

I know you’re backing out… but if it was a Cat in the Hat type hat (I’ve said hat too much) it may take a while!

34. Stephany Nunneley

I only have baseball style caps with race horse names on ‘em and a couple like this: http://choubelle.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/wonderful-hat.jpg

Either way, all would take me a bit without some ketchup and beer to wash it down. ;-)

35. Blerk

Slightly worrying that it’s coming so soon, but if the team’s not taking a year off to work on something else and the engine’s pretty much stable then who knows?

Almost as interesting is the fact that this is the second third-party publisher in a week that’s basically come out and said “fuck that Wii shit, we’re taking our coats and leaving on the hi-def bus”.