EA: DICE could “take on Modern Warfare” with BFBC2

Friday, 8th January 2010 15:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

bfbc2

EA’s European boss, Jens-Uwe Intat, is taking aim at the Modern Warfare franchise with Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and the “first blow” is the game’s launch on March 2 and 5 in the US and Europe, respectively.

“In March we will launch Battlefield: Bad Company 2, which is our first strong attack on Call Of Duty,” he told MCV (via CVG). “The shooter space is one we don’t want to give up. It’s an important genre and we were the number one.

“So we are certainly working on how we can get that crown back and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is an important product in that context.”

Fightin’ words are being thrown at Infinity Ward company-wide, apparently, because earlier in the week BFBC2 producer Karl-Magnus Troedsson said that the franchise “has always been deeper” than its rivals.

Citing the game’s team-play as a “very important” part of the series, Troedsson said that a lot of the other shooters are “still in team deathmatch mode,” which is just a way for “people playing to get the maximum score” and not work together.

1. Doc Robotnik

I’m still not convinced. Riccitello Was banging on about how BFBC2 had 1up on MW because it has vehicles the other week. Vehicles for christ’s sake. I like modern warfare because it DOESN’T have vehicles. And why is it usually only tanks, too? Why not a plane, a tank, a truck, a car, a bike? No, just leave vehicles out of it.

2. mescalineeyes

it’s the better game, that’s for sure.

3. Hunam

Not having vehicles in Battlefield would be like not having guns in CoD. It’s a great game and the Land/Sea/Air vehicles have always been amazing in them. Adds a sense of war to it rather than a skirmish. Both are different games to be honest. BF has always been chaotic and fun where CoD is sharp and tactical.

4. Doc Robotnik

CoD – tactical. Really?

5. G1GAHURTZ

I’m sick of these guys talking rubbish about CoD, when it’s a totally different type of game!

You’ll probably find it very difficult indeed to find a single person who loves playing both games, because they’re so massively different.

So they’re just messing themselves around here, if they think that they can take any CoD fans away from MW2.

The only way that they can do that, is to basically make BF like CoD! They’d have to take out all of the slow pace, the huge maps and the long range fighting and go down the ‘arcadey’ road that MW2 has done.

All of this, ‘WE’RE BETTER THAN THOSE GUYS BTW!’ stinks of an inferiority complex that’s going to make them such a bunch of followers that their game’s very likely going to end up neither here nor there, stuck in limbo with no identity of it’s own.

The only way that they can BEAT CoD is to take all of the elements that makes it so successful, and guess what… Those are exactly the things that their current fanbase doesn’t like!

Grow up EA/Dice. Do your own thing, make your own game, get your own identity and stop talking about a game whose sales figures you probably won’t even reach a 10th of.

6. Lahanas

MW=small scale infantry-based combat
    BF=WAR

BF>>>>>MW

7. Bikki

You’re so fucking right Giga.

8. Grimrita

Battlefield on the PC will ALWAYS slap shoddy ported MW2 any day of the week and the fact that the Battlefield servers for 2142/BF2 are full again, clearly shows how crap MW2 is.

@ Giga
    MW2 is rubbish on the PC. Its a lazy port and deserves its low sales. The Battlefield series offers a far better experience for gamers in terms of stats, graphics, maps, mods, features and much more.

9. Yoshi

GIGA no offence but you need a fuking slap lol
    Wake the fuck up, Battlefield games have been the king of FPS war games ever since Battlefield 1942, after 2142 they deffo went away and realised wtf they did wrong thats why they came back with Bad Company to test out the singleplayer elements, now with Bad Company 2 it looks like they know exactly what they need to do, plus they know how to stay loyal to their real fanbase (pc) look at how MW2 treated pc users, like shit. BC2 havnt taken anything from MW2, i could even go so far to say MW2 copyed from Battlefield. BC2 has all the elements of the classic Battlefield game.

Battlefield:Bad Company 2 = Fast + slow paced (your choice), large maps with open and closed sections, vehicles, bullets coming from everywhere like real war with true epic war experiences, true to the weak

Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 = fast paced, small maps with some of them with openish and closed sections, kind to the weak

10. G1GAHURTZ

Nonsense!

When has a single Battlefield game EVER sold as well as a CoD game!?

To date, the entire BF series has sold over 25m units since 2002.

The CoD series, on the other hand, has sold over 55m units since 2003!

Listen, I used to play BF2, and I really enjoyed it while it lasted, so I know exactly what it has to offer in terms of gameplay. I own BF:BC, and I was one of the guys who bought BF1943 on day 1, only to spend the next few days waiting for them to fix the great big server mess that they managed to make.

BF is NOTHING like CoD in terms of gameplay. Which is EXACTLY why all the CoD haters love BF, and all the CoD regulars, like myself, don’t find BF enjoyable for more than a few hours.

BF’s gameplay is s-l-o-w. And intentionally so. It’s what people like about it, because they can feel like they’re doing well without getting killed every 15-20 seconds like most newcomers do in CoD. BF’s maps are about 3-4 times bigger than the biggest CoD maps, which is also one of the reasons that vehicles are so necessary.

The simple fact is that most people just can’t be bothered with BF’s slow-paced, mostly objective based gameplay. The irony about the new trailers that have just come out is that you’ll probably get as much action as is involved in them about once in around 10 hours play.

Until BF tries to imitate CoD and then build on that, it will very likely never be more than an also-ran with a noisy fanbase.

11. Grimrita

Considering that only Bad Company was on the console and the rest of the BF series was PC sales, I would like to see the CoD figures for PC sales, I reckon it will be well under 3 million.

12. Gekidami

Modern Combat and 1943 are also on consoles.

13. OlderGamer

What amazes me, really, is the notion that Battlefield is somehow less then CoD to begin with.

I agree with G1GA to a point. They are very different games. But I wonder if it less that the devs/pubs are pushing that comparison and more that the media expects it and demands it.

It is almost as if DICE/EA say Tada “Here is our new Battlefield game”

And everyone else, gamers, media, and stores alike respond with “Looks nice but how do you plan to compete with CoD MW2?”

I think that type of thining has talen on a life of its own. And to be fair I believe that Dice/EA is trying to head that off before it becomes the only thing people want to talk about. In otherwords, if Dice/EA says “THIS is why we can beat CoD” then they get to have the talk be about “THIS” those things that make their game great. Otherise they field questions and the conversations is about what MW offers instead.

Did I make any sense with that? Not too sure, pain meds are kicking in lol.

In short I don’t blame Dice/EA at all. I feel by doing what they are, that they can talk about what they want to talk about. It works for me.

What amazes me is this:

So many people (mostly media and CoD faithful) honestly feel that Battlefield is a lesser game. I know that is an opinion and everyone is entitled to their own. However its WRONG! lol sorry, couldn’t resist. I don’t think CoD has anything on Battlefield.

Like G1GA said CoD is a bit arcade. Run n Gun, kill, die, respawn. Rinse and repeat. Samll campy maps. Its twitchy gameplay. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Halo. Not a lot of stratgey goes into CoD. And gimmicks like perks often ruin and unbalance the game. I would say that CoD has replaced Halo this gen as the game to play for the teen crowd. Not a good thing imo. Nothing against teens, I have two of them, I just don’t always want to be in their games.

In contrast Battlefield is filled with strategy. Offers huge maps that force you to adapt to many differnt situations. I will take classes over simple kits any day. I love tanks, water boats, snowmobiles, choppers, planes and more. I love healing teammates. I enjoy bring down mortor strikes. I love repairing our teams vehicals, and disassembling the enimies as a mechanic. I love laying down mines, and scurring off to hide with a rocket launcher at the ready incase the tank somehow ID those mines. There is just too much to do in a Battlefield game.

CoD is boring. Its old school. Its like playing Doom and Quake. Outdated. Spawn, run, shoot, kill, die, respawn. Over and over and over. Toss in camping, perks, and teens…and no thank you.

CoD has NOTHING on battlefield.

Of course that is all just my 11 cents worth of a dime. Milage may vary.

14. G1GAHURTZ

Now, if DICE/EA would say stuff like this instead of ‘MW2, MW2, MW2!’, they’d probably end up selling a lot more copies.

As for which game is better, well… If you said BF, you’d have to completely ignore sales, metacritic scores and regular player numbers.

But I genuinely don’t have a problem with people hating CoD’s gameplay. If it’s not for you, it’s not for you, and I’ll be among the first to say that it’s definitely not for everybody.

However, millions of people, including myself, are having amazing amounts of fun with it, so it must be doing something right.

15. G1GAHURTZ

Modern Combat and 1943 are also on consoles.

Indeed.

I believe that Modern Combat was out at around the same time as CoD2, and I’m pretty certain that I don’t need to bother googling for sales figures and review scores to know which one did better.

16. OlderGamer

I agree G1GA, very tough to ignore sales when it comes to a “Better Game” type sceniero. I do think the MetaCritic stuff is a wash tho. I feel it is hard to be objective when said company behind said game spends so much advertising lbs/dollers on your website.

CoD does an amazing job at what it does. Not my cup of MNT Dew(see what I did right there? I Americanized it, yes I did indeed. lol Who drinks Tea? :) )

Anyways both games offer gamers different and well done things. But I predict we can expect to see far more articales like this one before it BC2 comes out. Too easy to grab readers attention. Again that is prolly exactly what Dice/EA is after. Doesn’t hurt the webtsite (looks at Steph, and smiles) that it is on either.

17. reask

G1GAHURTZ said:

Hey Gig no need to bring me into it. :D

18. G1GAHURTZ

@ OG:

Haha! Mountain Dew makes your tongue green! lol!

@ reask:

LOL! You should play with us again sometime, btw fella.

19. Nelius

Go Yoshi.

I’ve been following BFBC2s development closely and DICE haven’t spoken any ‘rubbish’ about COD. I have only seen EA employees that wish to exceed the success of the COD franchise, and rightfully so. It’s the competitive spirit that results in better products for gamers and not stagnant turd rehashes every year.

Frankly I’m grateful for the renewed spotlight on PC centric features such as dedicated servers brought on by the MW2 PC stumble. DICE comments and interactivity since the incident towards the PC community is what IWs should have been.

Battlefield and Call of Duty I would argue are also competing for the same market. They are both warfare themed action FPS. In reality, gamers of this genre do dabble in multiple titles at once, so there is always potential to win over ‘core fans’.

20. Yoshi

@Nelious
    “My opinion about gameplay quality is that Battlefield has always been the king. Call of Duty’s scripted single player is it’s only strength, which is even superseded constantly by the dynamism present in a BF match.

You can literally experience and CREATE every combat experience imaginable in Battlefield. The potential teamwork with friends is unmatched in any multiplayer game. This franchise is a masterpiece. All it needs is a scripted single player story of COD quality.”

You hit it right on the mark there mate :)

@ GIGA
    Im sorry GIGA but i really dont see how you think BF gameplay is slow, okey i will admit if you respawn at the far away main base everytime u die, yes of course its slow because your so far away from the action. But if you want fast paced fighting you can easily join a squad, work together with that squad and have some extremely good fun capturing the enemies bases. If you have tried that and never been in the thick of a giant war i feel slightly sorry for you lol Plus dont forget if you do die you can spawn on the squad leader :)

21. Whizzo

I look forward to spinning up my power tool and driving a tank through a building.

Sometimes I even mean to drive my tank through a building.

22. Redh3lix

Modern Warfare 2 is a pikeys FPS. Man up and play a proper game like BF:BC 2 where genuine skill is required as apposed to camping skill and little to no team play.

23. GwynbleiddiuM

IMO, Battlefield series were always a better experience. It’s more realistic, less sloppy, larger environment more players and more serious. MW and MW2 good, but it’s not what I want when I think of war and battleground. I want Battlefield because not only teamwork matters there but also there’s more competition and more serious people. also it’s worth mentioning the dedicated servers are actually a great part of battlefield series, it’s not something u take out of the game and people still have a stupid smile on their face when they buy the game.

basically Battlefield does not have competition on PC, what EA and DICE meant is they can be better on consoles too.

24. Whizzo

people still have a stupid smile on their face when they buy the game.

I have a stupid smile on my face as soon as I hear the Battlefield theme start up, I’ve had so much fun with the series since it launched.

I do wish the soundtrack option from Vietnam would make a comeback though.

25. Enkeixpress

It’s going to be a pure headshot.. Modern Warfare 2 has no chance.

26. Gekidami

How exactly does it have “No chance”? Because for it to have no chance would mean that BFBC2 would actually have to beat MW2 in some way. It sure as hell wont be in sales, maybe review score? We’ll have to see, though i’m betting against it.

27. The Hindle

Ive never actually played a Battlefield game, if i wasnt so addicted to MW id give one a go. What kind of games modes do they do apart from the obvious team death match

28. Gekidami

You assume BF games have team death match? You’ve indeed never played one.

Up intill the first bad Company the only mode they had was conquest where you had to capture points around the map. In BFBC they changed that to an attacker vs. defender type mode where one team had to destroy another teams gold (i think it may have also had conquest but what ever the other mode was it was impossible to find games for). BFBC2 i’m not sure.

29. mojo

wow, lodas of text i cant be bothered now to read..
    ill sum it up for u guys:

1.6 > all

30. GwynbleiddiuM

@mojo, I take by 1.6 yer a CS player, I am too, it was a great game, still is. and it seems it has no plan on retiring anytime soon. Battlefield however is by far a very different game from CS. CS is more closer to MW. Battlefield has a class of its own.

31. mojo

yeah, sry, i forgot the smilie..
    wasnt ment too serious
    i know its hardly comparable..

32. puffm

Listen everyone!!!!

MW2 is not the best cod game ever made like sure it’s got the best graphics and all but it Is still mising some thing. I’ve played it and i’ve bought the limited eddition on ps3 and I love it but BFBC2 is bett buy a little cause they’ve used the same codes as red faction gourilla so u everything is like 100% destructible and u can drive vehicles!! Honestly what would u rather blow everything up and drive around or shoot and get and run around. I would choose the first one by far. Now i also would like a lenghthy career than a short one like MW2. I have to admit I loved the traler for MW2 I have probally watched it one hundred times!!!!!! Also in BFBC2 it’s soo realistic, u can drive through buildings and stuff! I got BFBC the first one with my playstation and it is awesome I thing BFBC is the same as MW2 if not a bit better!!!!!!!!

33. puffm

Gekidami, the reason y MW2 sold so many to start with is becaus people expected it would be awesome. But infinity ward let everyone down but I would still rate it a 7.5 8.5 maybe