Far Cry 2: 720p, but no 60 frames a second

Monday, 6th October 2008 11:48 GMT By Patrick Garratt

farcry25.jpg

You asked. We got it answered. Far Cry 2 is set at 720p, but the game can’t managed 60FPS because it has too much going on.

“No,” multiplayer producer Richard Gaetan told VG247 when asked if the title is locked at the magic 60.

“We wish it would be 60 frames a second, but no. With the world so big – even in multiplayer the biggest maps are pretty huge – the dynamic grass that can catch on fire, the trees that can be destroyed, the vehicles in there as well, there’s so much going on that no, we’re not at 60 frames per second.”

Gaetan did confirm, though, that you’re going to get 720p out of the game.

Whether or not it’s doing 60 frames, Far Cry 2 looks staggering, frankly, both in single-player and multiplayer. Read single-player impressions here.

1. Blerk

What fps is it doing, then? :-D

2. patlike

I didn’t ask him, and I have no idea why. To be honest, I couldn’t tell it was doing less than full whack. It looks amazing.

3. Psychotext

As long as it’s a solid 30fps it shouldn’t really matter.

4. dirigiblebill

I interviewed him on the same day I think, and it’s really starting to depress me how much better everybody else’s questions were :( Mine were so abysmal I ended up hiding the answers in the depths of a hands-on.

Something like this should have been a no-brainer.

/shakes fist

5. patlike

Were we there at the same time? I was about for an hour in the afternoon session.

6. dirigiblebill

Possibly not – I did a runner around 2-ish.

If you recall somebody shouting “f**k” and committing grenade launcher suicide a lot, that was me :)

7. patlike

Heh. I was doing a similar thing. What did you think of it?

8. dirigiblebill

I thought it was very impressive in terms of the nitty-gritty – the weapons balancing, two-tiered experience system, healing, the effects of fire and changing light levels – and if the overarching mode structure is a little minimalist the map editor should offer plenty of longevity. What about you?

9. Esha

I’ll watch this conversation with interest, you two seem like you have a lot of good information to spill about the game.

Still, I have to say…

The grass can catch on fire?

The grass?!

Good grief.

I wonder just how well even the PS3 is going to take that. But I really want to see that.

10. patlike

I really enjoyed it, yeah. The single-player especially. The whole African setting appeals to me very much. I only played the multiplayer stuff for about half an hour, but it’s just so solid. I didn’t see the map editor, either. Pretty pumped about the whole thing, to be honest.

Esha – I’ve got plenty more from the interview to post this week.

11. dirigiblebill

You can bally well go read my multiplayer preview on Kikizo, Esha, instead of bloody eavesdropping ;)

The setting is great, yeah – refreshingly mature after the bollox that was Mercenaries 2.

12. XDamage

Absolutely a title to look forward to, pre-ordered and ready. What do you get when you mix Rambo with Blood Diamond? Far Cry 2! :D