A Russia 2018 World Cup update is coming to FIFA 18 on May 29. The content update will be free for all players across PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC, rather than a stand-alone game.
“Revel in the epic tournament exactly how it will play out in real life,” EA said on their official site.
“Choose from any of the 32 qualified nations and play through the authentic tournament structure, from the group stage to the final in Moscow.”
As well as the real-life format of the tournament, players will also be able to create their own custom competition with any of the licenced national teams in the game – a chance to mend Italian hearts or send Christian Pulisic and the rest of the US MNT to the WC.
You’ll also be able to play offline line matches with the official kits and teams either with friends or against the AI.
There’ll also be an expansion to the ever-popular Ultimate Team mode, where would-be managers can create teams using players from the 32 teams that have qualified, plus World Cup legends like Ronaldinho. EA have said that the patch will include “All-New Icons”, but it’s not clear whether that means just new to the game-mode or we’ll see new legends like Roberto Baggio or all-time World Cup top-scorer Miroslav Klose.
The full roster of features for the World Cup Ultimate Team is as follows:
- All-New ICONS: FIFA World Cup Ultimate Team will feature some of the most iconic players from the tournament’s history.
- Chemistry System: Link your favorite international players; instead of clubs and leagues, nationalities and confederations will be key chemistry components to consider when building and organizing your squad.
- FIFA World Cup™ Player Pool: Featuring up-to-date squads from every qualified nation with refreshed ratings, [RA1] you’ll have everything you need to build your international dream squad.
- Dynamic Items: Built to match real world performance, these items will update based on the performances of players who stood out on matchday, with upgraded stats, ensuring a fresh and relevant experience for the entire tournament.
- Double Pack Incentive: For every Standard or Premium pack you purchase in FIFA World Cup Ultimate Team, you will receive equivalent pack value in FUT 18.
- Ultimate Team Game Modes: Experience several exciting ways to play with your international dream squad.
Single Player and Online Tournament
Single Player & Online Draft
Squad Building Challenges
FIFA 18 has been under the microscope recently, with the Belgium Gambling Commission ruling that its loot box-esque player packs contreviened gambling laws. No deadline was set for the microtransactions to be removed though, so you’ve still got time to pack Ronaldo – whether that’s R9 or CR7.