Titanfall 2 has received its first patch on PC, and it came with a big feature to help players with underpowered PCs.
Titanfall 2 developer Respawn has released a new patch for the PC version of the game just a couple of days after launch. On top of a few bug fixes and minor changes, the update brings one major new addition to the game.
The feature is called Adaptive Resolution Scaling, and it does exactly what you expect it to. Just like on console, this setting allows the game to adjust the resolution on the fly to help maintain a consistent frame-rate.
What this essentially means is that for those with below-spec hardware – especially lowr-end GPUs – it allows them to set a 60fps target and have the game downgrade the image quality when necessary to meet the target. This also helps players with 4K monitors who don’t own powerful enough GPUs.
You can only use this if you have TSAA enabled as an anti-aliasing option, because the tech uses “TSAA’s resolve step to output to screen,” according to the developer.
In a post on the game’s forums, Respawn warned against setting unrealistically high framerate targets with weaker PCs, since the game will have to bring down image quality considerably in order to maintain the target.
Find all the patch notes for version 22.214.171.124 below:
- Stability and GPU performance improvements
- Titan weakspot highlighting respects colorblind settings
- Reduced stuttering and playback issues with voice chat
- Improved speed of allocating Private Match dedicated servers
- Adjusted Recommended settings for lower end GPUs
- Reduced hitching when changing between no antialiasing and TSAA
- Increased performance of streaming textures, reducing stalls and hitches
- Archer and Thunderbolt now go to Aim-Down-Sights when wallhanging (oops!)
- Better Network chatroom moderation tools
- Fixed various grapple gameplay issues
- Fixed Kraber shots going through Bubble Shield
- Fixed certain combinations of weapon mods and menu selection resulting in no weapon model showing in customization menus
- Fixed spawning halfway underground after playing third person animations in Kill Replay
- Fixed tracker lock-on HUD elements not reliably showing up during Kill Replay
- Fixed Titan executions not triggering reliably
- Fixed mantling up stairs
- Fixed incorrect aspect ratio when switching from fullscreen 1920×1080 to windowed 1600×900
- Fixed some rare hardlocks and crashes
- Fixed subtitles being stretched in 21:9 ratios
- Fixed race condition when accepting Origin game invite with application closed
- Fixed some display issues in Networks lobbies
- Fixed disappearing grapple rope with TSAA enabled
- Fixed NVIDIA Surround crash