Battlefield 4 launch “absolutely” damaged player trust, says producer

By Brenna Hillier, Wednesday, 8 October 2014 23:45 GMT

Battlefield 4 launched to a bevy of complaints, and one DICE staffer has acknowledged the damage this has caused to the developer’s relationship with players.


Battlefield 4 has come a long way since launch, but that’s little consolation to those who nursed disappointments for months after release.

Speaking with Gamespot, DICE LA producer David Sirland copped to backlash from fans.

“I can absolutely say that we lost [player] trust in the game’s launch and the early parts of the year. We still probably have a lot of players who won’t trust us to deliver a stable launch or a stable game,” he said.

“I don’t want to say anything because I want to do. I want them to look at what we’re doing and what we are going to do and that would be my answer. I think we have to do things to get them to trust us, not say things to get them to trust us. Show by doing.

“I want to earn our trust back and I want to make them happy and like Battlefield again.”

Sirland said DICE and EA have changed their development processes to avoid a repeat occurrence, including being more open about the development process and getting fan feedback earlier in a project’s lifespan. Battlefield: Hardline’s beta and delay are an example of this, apparently.

As to how Battlefield 4 managed to release in such a sorry state, Sirland said DICE expected a “great launch”

“We didn’t think there would be issues to this degree,” he said.

Battlefield 4’s most recent patch made yet more strides in bringing Battlefield 4 up to spec, as we approach the one year anniversary of its release. EA has recently announced a re-release of the shooter bundled with all DLC and Premium membership.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.